Note 20 Ultra camera 108mp mode is disappointing

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: Note 20 Ultra camera is 108mp of garbage.

We all definitely get it, Mooncat and yourself probably one notch above or 2 then me or others , but smart phone cameras have come a long way . You can't be disappointed what it puts out its still a phone first , Samsung and other manufacturers have a paid research and development team and years of years experience what can work in a phone or not , simply we cant say that . So I'm sure for most it will get the job done for others craving better results a professional camera way to go .

I'm fully aware it's a smartphone first and I am impressed by how far they've come. It's just I've used Samsung since I got my S3 in 2012. So I've only had 8mp, 13mp, 16mp, and 12mp cameras in my phones. My phones before the S3 were LG and I think they had a 3.2mp and 5mp rear camera.

The 3 things I wanted to check in store were auto focus, the pro mode, and if 108mp was actually useful on a phone. Focus seemed fine, I was happy with the improvements to pro mode, but when I snapped an image in 108mp and viewed it in the gallery I felt disappointed.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

They also announced a new 50mp sensor earlier this year claiming DSLR auto focus performance and improved low light performance. That may be their flagship sensor next year.

But... But... But... We aren't supposed to compare phone cameras to DSLR's! Lol

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I'm fully aware it's a smartphone first and I am impressed by how far they've come. It's just I've used Samsung since I got my S3 in 2012. So I've only had 8mp, 13mp, 16mp, and 12mp cameras in my phones. My phones before the S3 were LG and I think they had a 3.2mp and 5mp rear camera.

The 3 things I wanted to check in store were auto focus, the pro mode, and if 108mp was actually useful on a phone. Focus seemed fine, I was happy with the improvements to pro mode, but when I snapped an image in 108mp and viewed it in the gallery I felt disappointed.
I understand, this will be my first also , thats why I can't wait to see it when arrives to mess around with all that.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

But... But... But... We aren't supposed to compare phone cameras to DSLR's! Lol
You can compare them but it's an unfair comparison. It's like bringing a nerf gun to a gun fight. I have an old 6MP DSLR that will kick the hell out of any cellphone regardless of pixel count.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

You can compare them but it's an unfair comparison. It's like bringing a nerf gun to a gun fight. I have an old 6MP DSLR that will kick the hell out of any cellphone regardless of pixel count.
That sounds serious:)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

See below. Lol.
Someone should tell Samsung lol.
Also, I have an old 8MP camera that my V60 will wipe the floor with unless I need true optical zoom. Not because of pixel count, but overall image quality, focus, burst ability, etc.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

See below. Lol. Also, I have an old 8MP camera that my V60 will wipe the floor with unless I need true optical zoom. Not because of pixel count, but overall image quality, focus, burst ability, etc.
Yeah, pixel count is irrelevant unless you're comparing like size sensors and even then there is a point of diminishing returns.

GiGi2020

Aug 22, 2020
Visit site
Sooooo disappointed. Was so excited to get my Note 20 Ultra and when it arrived yesterday I was really disappointed with the camera. Pictures are overexposed and washed out looking AND the AR Emoji on my Note 8 was much better too. Think I'll be returning. I don't like iPhones but the camera is a huge feature for me and I just haven't had Samsung that has lived up to my expectations. 😕 Sigh.

Chris Vizzini

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Yea, in auto mode photos are way blown out. Really bad, I can't believe they'd release camera software that's so beta.

If you use pro mode it's way better. I know the pro mode (left) is underexposed a little but was in a hurry.

Attachments

• 20201018_230153.jpg
    20201018_230153.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 15

Lecrae116

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Yea, in auto mode photos are way blown out. Really bad, I can't believe they'd release camera software that's so beta.

If you use pro mode it's way better. I know the pro mode (left) is underexposed a little but was in a hurry.
Any tips to make it better by using pro mode?

Chris Vizzini

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Sure. In decent lighting, start with low ISO and low sutter speed. It'll start out looking underexposed but that's ok. It's just a starting place. Start bumping up the ISO and see how you like it. You can mess around a little bit with the shutter speed, but you want a fast shutter speed so there's no blur.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choll