Note 4 Hangouts vs Stock Messenger

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I use Verizon Messenger plus, it is fast and will also work on my wifi only tablets as well as laptop and desktop. It's also very customizable which can be a big plus in large group text.

Posted via the Android Central App from the beast A.K.A. Note 4.

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
SwiftKey makes the lagging and freezing less than the Samsung keyboard, but it's still there. Hangouts must be a memory hog... I don't know what else to do. So frustrating for such a powerful phone. I don't have this issue on any of my non-Android devices. It just can't keep up with my lightning fast typing 😕
earlier today I cleared the cache on my Note (in recovery) and reinstalled the hangouts dialer and I haven't been seeing any lag or freezing. Try clearing your cache and see if that fixes your issues.

.. I'm also using SwiftKey.

logik brooklyn

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
May I ask a question not to thread jack but on using textra, is there a way to get a badge icon notification as well? If I miss a text I'd like there to be a one or however many number of texts displayed over the app

Posted via the Android Central App

tytheturtle

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I like hangouts because of the option to archive messages. I get hundreds of texts from work that I may need to look at later. This way they are out of the way but accessible.

BJM9282

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
May I ask a question not to thread jack but on using textra, is there a way to get a badge icon notification as well? If I miss a text I'd like there to be a one or however many number of texts displayed over the app

Not sure if you're sticking withTW, but Nova launcher allows you to add an unread badge to nearly any app.

ronb

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Under settings Find "Badge App Icon" and check it to show unread msg count on Icon.

Neo_ii_Droid

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
I've been using the Hangouts for a couple of weeks now and it's working fine for my uses. One question that I have is while there's a sound notification of an incoming message, the screen doesn't display it. Is that/this "normal"? Sometimes I'd just like a quick glance that's all. Though I've managed to customize SMS/MMS sound notifications for specific contacts to alert me as to who/where it's from.

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Textra hands down! To me it's visually the nicest sms app out there and it is buttery smooth .... also love that it has a dark mode and other color customizations as well

Chomp gives you much more options than Textra honestly!

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I've been using the Hangouts for a couple of weeks now and it's working fine for my uses. One question that I have is while there's a sound notification of an incoming message, the screen doesn't display it. Is that/this "normal"? Sometimes I'd just like a quick glance that's all. Though I've managed to customize SMS/MMS sound notifications for specific contacts to alert me as to who/where it's from.

Yeah tht's normal...I guess it's an android thing...like with Gmail app your screen doesn't light up on incoming emails.
I use Hangouts for my google voice messaging and the screen doesn't light up when i have an incoming message!

Question for peeps....Is there an app tht will make your screen light up when you have incoming messages on hangouts or emails thru Gmail app ??

qbngator

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I am using hangouts for now because of its compatibility with my moto 360.

Stock messenger works with my Moto 360, and I can attach more than one attachment. If Google changes that, I may go back to Hangouts.

RonGBeachBoy

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
I switched to Google Keyboard instead of the options Samsung provided and that helps a lot. But the hangouts features mixed with the fact I'm also using Google Voice is really slowing the process of making a call or handling messages.

Blacklac

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Is GIF's to iOS not possible? My buddy can send them to me but he says mine don't animate. Tried Messages and Hangouts. Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong. I sent the file from my photo albums, where it animated still if I open it. It does appear to animate using Hangouts (non SMS), but that doesn't help with cross platform.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site

Yes. Textra works better than the Samsung Messages app in my opinion and it notifies you, allows you to customize notification as well.

Blacklac

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Is GIF's to iOS not possible? My buddy can send them to me but he says mine don't animate. Tried Messages and Hangouts. Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong. I sent the file from my photo albums, where it animated still if I open it. It does appear to animate using Hangouts (non SMS), but that doesn't help with cross platform.

Seems to work with Google Messenger.

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Yes I have the same problem. Hangouts always shuts down. Google isn't going to do anything to repair this for obvious reasons. Might want to think about getting rid of hangouts and using something else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332