Note 5 - Best Buy hands on

mcgeorge36

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
So I stopped for some things at my local Best Buy today. I swung by the Samsung experience thing, and they didn't have anything out at all about either the Note 5 or the 6+. I walked around a bit, and went back, and saw one of the Samsung guys there.
I asked him if when they were going to get the demo units out, and he said tomorrow. Since there wasn't too many people around, he pulled it out of the drawer and let me play with it for a quick bit.
First impressions:
1. Even though it has a glass back, it doesn't really feel that slick and the curved back actually helps it in a bit. Kinda hard to explain, but it works.
2. Feels lighter than my current Note 4. It's pretty much around the same size, but feels a little bit better in the hands (in all fairness, I do have a small case on my Note 4 as well).
3. The screen still looks great. Yes, it was only in demo mode so the brightness is probably maxed out beyond belief, but it still looks great. I have had the Note 2, 3 and 4 and the screen has gotten better and better every single time.
4. Hard to tell (since once again, only in demo mode), but it felt a little bit snappier and little bit quicker. Could be the new processor, could be the fact it is 64-bit, could be my phone is about a year old and just feeling a bit slow lately, but moving between screens and calling up whatever I could felt nice.
5. It might take a little bit to get used to the click-to-retrieve S-pen. Not saying I didn't like it, but there were a few times I pushed in on it, and it didn't come out at first. Not saying it's any better than having to use part of your nail to pull it out, but I have been so used to that for 3 phones now, it might take a bit. The pen felt lighter.
6. Say whatever you want about Touchwiz ( I don't mind it so much, I pretty much just accept it for what it is), but I like the new icons. The rounded corners, different colors....it felt like a whole new experience.
Bottom line, I am REALLY looking forward to actually getting my hands on mine when my pre-oreder actually arrives. Hopefully soon. I know it's going to be one of those nights I am up all night playing with everything, checking forums, trying to figure stuff out. I don't like the idea of not having the SD-card, but it is what it is. I do use the S-pen and the functionality that goes with it, and I love the note series, so I'm jumping in on this one.

HighTechToid

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Nice summary. I'm opposite of you in some respects from my initial hands on.

The UI stuttered when navigating around (fresh out of the box demo device with no extra software added) and I felt the icons were a step in the wrong direction. The whole UI is flat, but the icons have this retro 3D look that just doesn't fit. It's like they downloaded a theme from google play that doesn't fit with the rest of the UI. If they had the same shape but stayed flat it would have looked much nicer to me.

The phone felt premium and nice in hand and I liked the feel of the auto eject.

The tweaks to the way the S Pen menu looks and works is cleaner this time around and the pen was also nicer feeling.

It's a marginal upgrade. If I got one I'd change the icons for sure.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I have to stop into BB to check out new TV's so I will likely give it a look. Still focused on the LG Nexus or Moto X Pure Edition 64GB.

JoePa2624

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I went to BB today to check it out. After spending about 20 minutes messing around with it, I went on AT&T's website and ordered my 64gb Note 5.

I've never owned a Samsung smartphone because I've always hated TouchWiz but I was surprised by how much I liked this version.

I'm excited to get my phone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cvflowe

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I had a chance to play with the Note 5 today at our local ATT store. I was considering ordering the 32gb version, but I noticed the store trial unit had only 22gb of available space. I've never owned a note, is that enough space?

verks

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I had a chance to play with the Note 5 today at our local ATT store. I was considering ordering the 32gb version, but I noticed the store trial unit had only 22gb of available space. I've never owned a note, is that enough space?

It all depends on what you use your phone for. I use a few cloud services like Google play music for tunes and Dropbox for all my files and photos. I switch phones a lot so I converted to the cloud to make it easier and I can see all my stuff from any device.

Edit: I got a 64gig myself anyway. I like to load up my device with photos and games.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

sdsubball23

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I tried it out at a Verizon store and I was impressed with the speed. I have an s5 right now and I've been wanting a bigger screen.

One thing that bothered me about the phone was that the s-s-pen didn't register on the screen with soft movements, I had press harder on the screen to get something to register. Is this normal for a note device or was I doing something wrong?

eclectic11

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Uggh! I have been dead set against upgrading my Note 4 to the 5 for the obvious reasons. But last night I said to myself if I go to Best buy and I like the way it feels and looks I will likely buy. Sad to say that I went to Best buy this morning and played with it for a half hour and walked away with the conclusion that he'll no this is not an upgrade enough for me to spend all that dough when my Note 4 is damn near perfect after 10 months. I was actually really proud of myself. Too me the Note 5 feels thicker than the Note 4 even though it's not. Looks like I will look elsewhere for sure. MOTO x or i6 with Force touch just to have something different plus with my Note 4. Never thought it would come to this again

Posted via the Android Central App