Note vs Surface and other tablets

SamOliver

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering getting the Note mainly for studying for the CFA exam because I can get the PDF version of the study guides and practice exams for free and the physical books are hundreds of dollars. Do you think this will be the best tablet for this sort of function (studying, taking notes, taking practice exams in PDF format)? Are the S Pen and the multitasking features just novelties that can easily be replaced by buying a stylus and using "OverSkreen"? Are other tablets like the transformer better for studying and taking notes because of the keyboard dock? I'm also interested in the upcoming Surface because it will have the flip out keyboard and run a full version of Windows. What would you get?

xeroslash

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I haven't seen other tablets do multitasking like I've seen the Note in recent videos, but I haven't really seen other tablets market their multitasking like Samsung has been doing with this bad boy.

I'm not sure the stylus capabilities here can be replaced so easily because of the actual hardware involved; not just software. Check out this post/video starting at the 2:30 mark for a demonstration and more info.

The video also showcases how great of a tool the Note 10.1 will be for students. Enjoy! :)

Reactions: SamOliver

SamOliver

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, the Note looks pretty awesome, but I think I'm gonna wait another 2 months for the Surface to come out before I make my decision.

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
I have used many Windows and Android Tablets and am a college student in graduate school. I have had the Note for about 2 weeks and can safely say that I will not be purchasing a surface tablet. It will be twice te price and only have a couple of inking options: Windows Journal and Microsoft OneNote. OneNote is an excellent program, but I find that I can do everything with the SPen software that I could do with OneNote. It is very robust and you have the benefit of better media capabilities for streaming and pictures or video that you won't get with the surface tablet. If you want to Annotate PDF's on the surface you will have to buy expensive software where it is built right in to the Note, plus there are over 15 awesome inking apps for Android in the market that offer more feature for free or a small price. You also get Adobe Photoshop Touch with the Note. It would cost over $400 for a comparable inking program in Windows.
For what you want to do the Note will provide you more options than you need, be more portable, have better battery life and be less than half the cost of the surface tablet.

Reactions: SamOliver

SamOliver

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your input. I just realized that the only the Surface RT is coming out in 2 months, and I'd have to wait an additional 3 months for the Surface Pro which runs Windows legacy programs and would be the only version I would be interested in. I don't know if that would be worth the wait, especially if it costs a grand.

My only concerns with the Note 10.1 are:
1.) Price: I can get a Transformer Prime used for $300
2.) Would Windows programs be laggy from an RDP connection if the host computer is on a connection with 8 mbps DL and 800 kbps UL?

onepoint#AC

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering getting the Note mainly for studying for the CFA exam because I can get the PDF version of the study guides and practice exams for free and the physical books are hundreds of dollars. Do you think this will be the best tablet for this sort of function (studying, taking notes, taking practice exams in PDF format)? Are the S Pen and the multitasking features just novelties that can easily be replaced by buying a stylus and using "OverSkreen"? Are other tablets like the transformer better for studying and taking notes because of the keyboard dock? I'm also interested in the upcoming Surface because it will have the flip out keyboard and run a full version of Windows. What would you get?

I recently passed my Series 7 and am currently studying for the 66 in much the same manner -- I loaded the PDF study guide(s) onto my iPad, which I have with me virtually all of the time, and it's been great. I also used the study service web portal to take/review practice exams, which was very convenient (as opposed to having to sit down in front of the computer, etc.).

I'm looking forward to my Note's arrival this afternoon, mostly for the note-taking capability. I'm really hoping to make these post-its and various notepads scattered across my office disappear.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I have the Note 10.1 and I use it to read and modify PDF's on it using Repligo PDF Reader: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=com.cerience.reader.app&hl=en&token=KNYEdVr7. The program is $1.99 but it is fantastic especially coupled with the S-Pen of the Note 10.1. You can highlight words in the PDF, make drawings, circle, etc and save them within the PDF. If you are studying, this is an excellent combination as you can insert book marks and notes within the PDF document.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The Surface looked pretty sweet, and I know it would be cool to have access to the Microsoft programs. But I do not see how it can possibly top the Note 10.1 in the business world. To me, even more basic than Microsoft Word is the ability to take notes on a paper. The Note's capability to make alterations, highlights, and basic footnotes just seem to outshine the capabilities of the Surface. But I guess we wont know for sure until Microsoft officially releases it.

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
You are incorrect about the Surface. I it can do much more than the Note, but is 3 months away and will be over 3 times the price after purchasing the software to compete with the features of the note. I if you want one device to be your laptop and tablet then wait for the Surface. If you already have a laptop or desktop then get the Note and save some money. You can replace about 90% of what you can do on a computer with the Note.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
You are incorrect about the Surface. I it can do much more than the Note, but is 3 months away and will be over 3 times the price after purchasing the software to compete with the features of the note. I if you want one device to be your laptop and tablet then wait for the Surface. If you already have a laptop or desktop then get the Note and save some money. You can replace about 90% of what you can do on a computer with the Note.

I don't think this makes me "incorrect". It all depends on point of view I suppose. For instance........if I am basing my decision on something being cost effective, the surface simply does not top the Note. If I am basing it simply off of the end result in terms of software and productivity then yes, I would be incorrect.

It is my fault though that I wasn't more clear in my original post. I am super excited for this Note and the functionality that it is capable of. I don't think it can be beat for the price and innovation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oldersod