Note9 or iPhone Xs Max?

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I've had my Galaxy Watch ITE for nearly 2wks now. I'm consistently getting good battery life with it. 4days normal use, AOD off. 2days heavy use - sleep monitoring, music streaming on LTE at gym for 1.5hrs.

Battery life of any product will be different depending on use, apps etc. Also reporting of battery life will differ also - I've seen some reports that are in-sync with my experience but I have also seen some questionable results posted. But again everyone's experience will differ.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Ok so it's been five full days of using my XS Max.

The battery life has evened out now and I can easily get two days of usage and I've been using the Max as my daily phone every day this week. I have two Apple watches paired to it and I'm really enjoying the experience the phone is giving me.

Pluses:

- Face ID works EVERY TIME! Doesn't matter if I have glasses on or if I'm bundled up on a cold day, it's never failed to work.
-Apps do not reload after not using them all day. I can leave Instagram open on a picture I viewed that morning and come home that night and still see that picture.
Facebook isn't included in this because it's just a crappy app no matter what phone you use it on.
- The stereo speakers are loud. I've been using the phones alarms with the same song that I used on my 8+ and had to change that to a quieter song because th volume was just too loud. I don't want to adjust the volume on this because that will affect other things as well.
- iOS is so finely tuned on this phone. My model is the AT&T version and I have to use WiFi calling at home and it always activates WiFi calling no matter what as soon as I get home. The 8+ would eventually lose WiFi calling and I would have to reboot the phone to get it back many times.
- LTE is lightning fast on this phone, just as good as on my Note 9. My signal when I am not at home is full bars and excellent clear call quality. Call quality might be just a bot better than on the Note 9, it's seriously good.
- Super fast OS updates

Minues:

- No app drawer
- No Android style widgets. I have a few screens on the Note 9 with notes that I pinned to the screens. Apples so called widgets are on one screen similar to what the notifications pane looks like.
- I can't place app icons wherever I want them like on the Note 9. I can have apps on different screens but they aways default to the top of the screen and then slowly fill up the spaces from the top down till the page is full. I can't have an app on top of that page and one on the bottom.
- iOS still has this stupid 150MB app update limit. If an app is over 150MB such as Facebook, I can't update it on LTE. It will not update until I connect to my WiFi. Maybe this goes back to the studies where they found that iOS users consumed more data then Android users. I hate it.
- Phone still comes with that tiny seriously under specced 5 watt charging brick that will take several hours to charge. I have an old 12Watt iPad charger that I use with my iPhone and it takes about two hrs to charge my phone. Apple is just being cheap here and hoping people will buy their fast charger and I refuse to buy it. My phone was $1499, it should be included.
- No headset jack. Not too big of a deal for me anymore as I have AirPods which I highly recommend.

I didn't include anything here about the Apple watch since the OP didn't mention it in first post. There may be a few minor pluses and minuses that I am forgetting but these are the major ones. Camera is also better then previous models but probably equal to the Note 9.

Am I keeping this phone? YES! I'm also keeping my Note 9 and my S9+.

note1note9

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site

The battery life has evened out now and I can easily get two days of usage and I've been using the Max as my daily phone every day this week. I have two Apple watches paired to it and I'm really enjoying the experience the phone is giving me.

Pluses:

- Face ID works EVERY TIME! Doesn't matter if I have glasses on or if I'm bundled up on a cold day, it's never failed to work.
-Apps do not reload after not using them all day. I can leave Instagram open on a picture I viewed that morning and come home that night and still see that picture.
Facebook isn't included in this because it's just a crappy app no matter what phone you use it on.
- The stereo speakers are loud. I've been using the phones alarms with the same song that I used on my 8+ and had to change that to a quieter song because th volume was just too loud. I don't want to adjust the volume on this because that will affect other things as well.
- iOS is so finely tuned on this phone. My model is the AT&T version and I have to use WiFi calling at home and it always activates WiFi calling no matter what as soon as I get home. The 8+ would eventually lose WiFi calling and I would have to reboot the phone to get it back many times.
- LTE is lightning fast on this phone, just as good as on my Note 9. My signal when I am not at home is full bars and excellent clear call quality. Call quality might be just a bot better than on the Note 9, it's seriously good.
- Super fast OS updates

Minues:

- No app drawer
- No Android style widgets. I have a few screens on the Note 9 with notes that I pinned to the screens. Apples so called widgets are on one screen similar to what the notifications pane looks like.
- I can't place app icons wherever I want them like on the Note 9. I can have apps on different screens but they aways default to the top of the screen and then slowly fill up the spaces from the top down till the page is full. I can't have an app on top of that page and one on the bottom.
- iOS still has this stupid 150MB app update limit. If an app is over 150MB such as Facebook, I can't update it on LTE. It will not update until I connect to my WiFi. Maybe this goes back to the studies where they found that iOS users consumed more data then Android users. I hate it.
- Phone still comes with that tiny seriously under specced 5 watt charging brick that will take several hours to charge. I have an old 12Watt iPad charger that I use with my iPhone and it takes about two hrs to charge my phone. Apple is just being cheap here and hoping people will buy their fast charger and I refuse to buy it. My phone was $1499, it should be included.
- No headset jack. Not too big of a deal for me anymore as I have AirPods which I highly recommend.

I didn't include anything here about the Apple watch since the OP didn't mention it in first post. There may be a few minor pluses and minuses that I am forgetting but these are the major ones. Camera is also better then previous models but probably equal to the Note 9.

I was considering buying the airpods but not sure if I should wait for the airpods 2?

srbell67

Oct 3, 2017
Visit site

Pluses:

- Super fast OS updates

Minues:

- No app drawer

Don't forget imessage.

Do you like it more than your note 9?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Don't forget imessage.

Do you like it more than your note 9?

I really don't get a chance to use it because everyone I know, owns Samsung phones.

I've always been an iPhone user ever since the original iPhone and I became an Android user back around 2013 or so.I could easily go back to using just iPhones but there are still many things that I like being able to do on my Note 9 that I just can't do on the iPhone.

Last edited:

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Airpods are fantastic, the only thing missing is a physical volume control on them.

You'll have to wait until next year for airpods 2 but they are really great as is

I don't think that there will be anything major coming to AirPods 2. Not much they can change maybe other then making them waterproof.

One of the best features of the AirPods is when you open the case. The phone shows you the current battery charge of the AirPods case and AirPods.

IMG_0867.jpg

note1note9

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
I don't think that there will be anything major coming to AirPods 2. Not much they can change maybe other then making them waterproof.

One of the best features of the AirPods is when you open the case. The phone shows you the current battery charge of the AirPods case and AirPods.

View attachment 293466

But I'll be using the airpods with my note 9. U think it's still worth it?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

View attachment 293466

I wanted to try them but decided to grab the Beats X instead with the W1 chip thing. Mainly because I really like neck buds and at work taking airports out to talk would be annoying.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
But I'll be using the airpods with my note 9. U think it's still worth it?

I occasionally use the AirPods with my Note 9 and non of the features will work such as the one tap to pause or two taps to skip a song and one tap on the right for the assistant and so on. Get a regular pair of earbuds and you will be happy.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
You even listened to the ear buds be that came with the note 9 ?
I never have. They're still unopened in every Samsung box of every phone I've ever bought.

I prefer to use my iPhone to listen to music at home or in my car. I've never bought any earbuds to use with my Android phones because of this.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
My wife did.
She said they sound pretty nice.
They fit comfortable in her ears.
She has a lot of earbuds

And about 4 pair of Planatronic ear buds that last 11:hrs for talking on the phone.

Last edited:

note1note9

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
I occasionally use the AirPods with my Note 9 and non of the features will work such as the one tap to pause or two taps to skip a song and one tap on the right for the assistant and so on. Get a regular pair of earbuds and you will be happy.

Oh man really? I heard that the tap to pause and two taps to skip would still work on an android phone?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Oh man really? I heard that the tap to pause and two taps to skip would still work on an android phone?

These are strictly iPhone features. There is no way to set up these settings on an Android phone. On the iPhone, you simply go to Bluetooth settings and tap on the AirPods and you set up the left and right taps.

note1note9

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
These are strictly iPhone features. There is no way to set up these settings on an Android phone. On the iPhone, you simply go to Bluetooth settings and tap on the AirPods and you set up the left and right taps.

Ok I went to do some research. Seems like the tap features can be used with an android but u have to set the airpods up with an iPhone or MacBook! Yay seems like I can use it with my note 9!

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Ok I went to do some research. Seems like the tap features can be used with an android but u have to set the airpods up with an iPhone or MacBook! Yay seems like I can use it with my note 9!

The only thing you can do is double tap. That will pause and play a song and it will also hang up a call. That's about all you can do. I tried this on my Note 9. I would not buy these just to use on an Android phone.

note1note9

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
The only thing you can do is double tap. That will pause and play a song and it will also hang up a call. That's about all you can do. I tried this on my Note 9. I would not buy these just to use on an Android phone.

Yeah but other wireless earphones such as jabra or Bose are more expensive.. so are Samsung's own icon X. Anyone wireless earphones u can recommend instead?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chao