Notification sounds problem after 8.1

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
After 8.1 on my pixel XL notification sounds have stopped working.A reboot fixes the problem but it happens again after about a day of use. Call ringer is fine. All other notifications like Gmail, email, Text, Hangouts etc....no sound. Oddly enough, when bluetooth is connected the notification sounds work.

Please fix it Google. Any advice out there?

Last edited:

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I am running Android 8.1 on my Pixel. My notifications work fine. I get my GMail notifications and my Calendar notifications for appointments. I get notifications for text messages.

I use Bluetooth earphones on the rare occasions I use the phone for a phone call, I'm mostly deaf, and Bluetooth is almost always on because I have a Huawai watch.

I'm curious. Do you connect to your car by Bluetooth. My car is a 1998 Nissan pickup and my nephew asked the other day where the USB port was to plug in his thumb drive for music.

brodrick

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Some of my notifications stopped working after updating to 8.1. It didn't seem to be bluetooth related, but I couldn't get any email notifications from outlook, and a few other things. I finally did a factory reset and they all came back.

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I had my ringer stop working until a phone restart. And this was just days after a factory reset. So far a one time event. But never had any kind of issue like that before 8.1.

Kealia

Jan 17, 2018
Visit site
Glad I'm not the only one this is happening to. I thought I was going nuts.
I can't find a rhyme or reason on when it happens. It's not after Bluetooth use or anything I can pinpoint, but it is recent.

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes it is recent. And it is frustrating. I dread doing a factory reset. But if I am certain a factory reset will fix the problem then maybe I will.

This should not be happening with a premium phone.

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I had this happen a few weeks ago. I just had to turn the phone off and back on. Seemed to be a rouge app that hosed it up. Haven't had the issue since

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
The situation for me has gone from bad to worse. Now the notification sounds stop working within hours of a reboot. Used to be after a few days now it's a matter of hours. Somebody please help

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I have done two factory resets in four days and the problem still exists. Anywhere from 4 to 24 hours after a reboot, notification sounds stop working. Any advice out there?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have done two factory resets in four days and the problem still exists. Anywhere from 4 to 24 hours after a reboot, notification sounds stop working. Any advice out there?
When you set your phone up after factory reset . Did you start over clean? By not restoring any backups ?

Also have you tried in safe mode to see if problem re occurs after so many hours ?

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Just lost notification sounds again. 86 hours after the last reboot and once again immediately after a phone call. Google are you paying attention?

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I only have this problem with the phone app. Can't hear the ringer after a day, have to restart the phone to fix it. After a day, have to restart it again

Jojostar21

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
I've got the exact same problem. Noticed missed calls and texts this morning, phone did not make a sound until I restarted it. I've had enough of my Pixel now to be honest cos it's one thing after the other.

dennybaby

Feb 26, 2018
Visit site
Did anyone have Amazon Underground installed on there phone? I deleted that and my problem stopped. Not sure if it is just a coincidence though.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Having same problem on my Pixel 2 XL. Can't recall how long it's been going on. Just been realizing I've been missing a lot of messages from Hangouts. I only see a notification if the app is open. Tried rebooting phone, no help. Don't have Amazon app store installed. Just did a factory reset a couple weeks ago and not quite ready to try that yet. Cleared data and cache, no help there either. Good news works perfect on my iPhone X.