Nvidia Shield TV Newbie questions

A

AC Question

Hi Guys,

At this stage I have a PS4, a android TV box and a Chromecast.
I wish to buy the Nvidia Shield to replace all 3 devices so these are my doubts:

1. will I be able to use the Shield as a regular android tv box, to install apps from Playstore for example like Kodi, Strem.io, etc?

2. The price difference from 16GB to 500GB is considerable so I wonder if I will do fine with the 16GB version and in due course I could increase the storage? If yes, How can I increase it?

3. Are the graphics and gameplay the same, better or worst than the PS4?

Hoep you can help me.

Thank you in adavnce.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't think ANY streaming box is going to be in the same league as a dedicated console like the PS4, BUT the NVidia Shield is your best bet to come close. I don't have one, BUT I do have other stuff (a Xiaomi Mi Box for example) so I can answer some of your questions.

1. I'm sure it can, my Mi Box can. The Shield is even better, that is it has better specs.

2. Only you can answer that. How much memory do you get on your phones? Sadly you can NOT increase the memory in the 16GB model, but you CAN in the 500GB model. Only the 500GB model has a micro SD slot.

3. Well it's NVidia, so they are bound to be good, BUT I don't think they can compare to a dedicated console like the PS4. That being said I think you would still enjoy. :)

anon(39328)

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
The only way you can replace your ps4 with a shield and have comparable game quality is if you have a decent gaming computer to stream from.

Yes, you can use the shield TV box to install whatever apps you would run on an Android TV box. Personally, I would not spend the extra money for the higher storage option. You can plug in an external hard drive if you need more space. I plugged a 1tb wd hard drive to mine and it is working fine.

Last edited:

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't think ANY streaming box is going to be in the same league as a dedicated console like the PS4, BUT the NVidia Shield is your best bet to come close. I don't have one, BUT I do have other stuff (a Xiaomi Mi Box for example) so I can answer some of your questions.

1. I'm sure it can, my Mi Box can. The Shield is even better, that is it has better specs.

2. Only you can answer that. How much memory do you get on your phones? Sadly you can NOT increase the memory in the 16GB model, but you CAN in the 500GB model. Only the 500GB model has a micro SD slot.

3. Well it's NVidia, so they are bound to be good, BUT I don't think they can compare to a dedicated console like the PS4. That being said I think you would still enjoy. :)

I know this is kind of old, but what do you think about the Mi Box? I'm looking at something like that in my kids' playroom. I want an Android TV box but I don't want to spend $200 for a Shield. There really is only one other option, and that's the Mi Box.

pkcable

Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I know this is kind of old, but what do you think about the Mi Box? I'm looking at something like that in my kids' playroom. I want an Android TV box but I don't want to spend $200 for a Shield. There really is only one other option, and that's the Mi Box.

I can recommend it OR even a FireTV box or stick. I think the best balance of cost, ease of use, and utility is the Mi Box. It's full Android TV, not proprietary like the Fire things. It also supports 4K, which only the latest FireTV does. One thing that is missing from the Mi Box, but you should be ok if you have good WIFi, if a network port for a wired connection.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I can recommend it OR even a FireTV box or stick. I think the best balance of cost, ease of use, and utility is the Mi Box. It's full Android TV, not proprietary like the Fire things. It also supports 4K, which only the latest FireTV does. One thing that is missing from the Mi Box, but you should be ok if you have good WIFi, if a network port for a wired connection.

I would prefer to use Android TV if I can. I do have Amazon Prime, however. I just don't see me spending $200 for something just for the kids to stream or me if I happen to be in there. And we do have good WiFi, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Any issues that you've had with it?

Thanks for the response!

pkcable

Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I would prefer to use Android TV if I can. I do have Amazon Prime, however. I just don't see me spending $200 for something just for the kids to stream or me if I happen to be in there. And we do have good WiFi, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Any issues that you've had with it?

Thanks for the response!

I have not had any issues with it, I HAVE heard people complain that it's processor is really not powerful enough for 4K and that you will get some lag, BUT I don't have this issue as I turned off 4K since my TV does not support it. I can't say that it has NEVER crashed on me, BUT the fire stick and firetv have crashed more! Again still not often.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frostbytes