Odd "screen overlay" pop up shows up often with some apps, what is it and how to properly select it?

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Re: Odd "screen overlay" pop up shows up often with some apps, what is it and how to properly select

This appears to be related to the permissions feature in 6.0. If you go to the application manager in settings and click more in the upper right corner, there should be an option that says apps that can appear on top or something like that.

Facebook Messenger actually requires that in order to do the chat bubbles. It is really annoying and only a few permissions conflict with it. I just started installing everything on my new phone and then going into settings and enabling all the permissions in all the apps and then enabling the overlay permissions

rudy2gen

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
Re: Odd "screen overlay" pop up shows up often with some apps, what is it and how to properly select

It's a card popup that activates when you try to change the permission settings on other apps. It says "Screen overlay detected. To change this permission, you first have to turn off the screen overlay from Settings". Then it takes you to the "apps that can be viewed over other apps" permissions and you have to disable everything, go back to the app you were trying to change permissions for and set the permissions, then go digging around to find that overlay permission list again and re-enable the overlay apps. It's INSANELY annoying as there ARE apps that I want visible over others, and I have to turn them off, fix the other app, and then go turn them back on again. And that overlay permission screen is hidden in a "more" list - not easy to find.

struett

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site

Okay. Just close any Messenger chat bubbles while trying to use applications that the error comes up on. That should solve most of the screen overlay error messages.

rudy2gen

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site

That doesn't have any relationship at all to this error message. I have almost never had a chat bubble open when it appears. It's not related to an active process, it's related to the "appear on top" settings. If ANY app is set to allow it to appear on top - regardless of whether it's active or not - the error message appears when trying to change the settings of other apps. You have to disable the "appear on top" for ALL apps, go manage the settings for the app you're actually trying to change, and then go re-enable the appear on top settings.

Elricvonrohde

Dec 10, 2016
Visit site

I wish it would let me show the screen shot so youd understand what problem we are all having

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

I wish it would let me show the screen shot so youd understand what problem we are all having
We know the problem. I encounter it regularly because I purposefully put an app that creates an overlay. Basically, just go to settings>Applications>application manager>more>apps that can draw on top>turn off those stuff. You have to turn them back on though if you want some of their features to work.

Mona Lisa Virgo

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site

When popped up on my phone, it told me to go to my settings. There every app I had was turned on. I started turning everything off. And that seemed to work. I hope it continues to do so.

Kay Drayton

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site

Agreed, just got the s7 today & I can't open any apps because of this BS. FYI to the suggesting that we should go to settings>Applications>application manager>more>apps that can draw on top>turn off those stuff. Not everyone has the "draw option" so that doesn't work.

On another note, what WORKED FOR ME was removing the call control app.

Leia Mckean

Mar 30, 2017
Visit site

Hi i have a Samsung j5 and all m permissions are off and i don't know how to get them back it just keeps sayings turn off screen over lay bit i don't know how to i cant even save people to my phone book now any help would be greatly appreciated i do the have twilight or CM cleaners thank you

Tazio Nuvo

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site

Samsung Galaxy S6: Uninstalled Photo Editor and adware was gone.

Ivonne Costa

Apr 7, 2017
Visit site

Thank god for this forum! Cheetah mobile clean master app was definitely to culprit! Do not use any apps by cheetah mobile

Nancy P1

May 14, 2017
Visit site

Yes I have & I'm waiting on an answer.

Jay070794

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site

I also have an over screen over lay problem on the galaxy S6 edge... It says to go to settings then apps and shows enable and disable.. I click on disable and go out and continue using my phone and some how it came back on. How do I switch it off for good?

Jay070794

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site

I took your advice and also Uninstalled the photo editor and it actually worked. Thank you very much!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lather7753