Official 4.0.4 release date and questions

DisturbedShifty

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
So I keep reading on here how the 4.0.4 update people are getting is the bees knees. But I am not familiar on how to "flash" and "root" a phone. Nor am I comfortable with the thought of voiding my warranty by doing this "update".

So I would like to know if there has been any word as to when Google will release the official update? Also is the update that everyone is currently using is it based on what will eventually be the official update?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, no one will be able to do any more than guess as to when the release will be out. If no changes are made to it, then it will be the same 4.0.4 that's floating around now. If they make any changes, then it will be 4.0.5 that gets released to everyone.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
probably never they reless itll most likely go 4.0.5. It is really simple to unlock and root your phone. Be honest there was never a promice of fast updates either.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
And when 4.0.5 gets into the wild everyone will say we will end up getting 4.0.6. Maybe we don't get another official over the air update? :p

Samater92

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I doubt it will come in March. It's probably for the GSM version. With Verizon being CDMA it will take another few months, so probably like June. But, I really hope it doesn't take that long and if it looks that way then I might as well root the phone and flash the new radio.

DisturbedShifty

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
So I know that the updates are located in the ROM section. But I can't make heads or tails on where to start. Is there a good tutorial out there that can tell me how to update my phone?

Reactions: km75sr

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
If Google isn't going to skip over 4.0.4, then we'll see it any day now. If they decide they want to do more with the update, and jump it to 4.0.5, then we're probably looking at the second half of March.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I made a series of videos... never rooted my nexus. You don't need to. You just need to unlock the bootloader, but that will wipe your phone. Its why everyone here recommended unlocking the bootloader from day 1. Updating from 4.0.2 to 4.0.4 doesn't require a wipe, so if you unlocked your bootloader, you will keep all your info.

First, unlock the bootloader. You can do this on any computer (windows, mac, linux). My videos are done on mac, but the general process is exactly the same.
Download the sdk and install it from Android Developers
next, you will need to get fastboot for your computer. You can google and download it, or if you're tech savvy, you can compile it on your own (I would just download it, its a small file). Once you have it downloaded, place it in your platform-tools folder (you must run android.exe or equivalent to get the sdk tools which is how this folder is downloaded to your computer)
Once you have those, then you can unlock the bootloader. Follow this tutorial. If you are using a windows machine, use command prompt (type cmd in the start menu). Remember where you have the sdk downloaded to. I have mine in c:\ on my desktop, so my code for navigating to it would be:
Code:
cd c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
the only other difference from my video is wherever is put "./" you leave out
for example,
Mac code:
Code:
./adb reboot bootloader
is Windows code:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
Here's the video:
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tF-Sz_yjYI[/YT]

Once you've done that, you can update immediately afterwards
Download the update file and put it on your phone
Download a toro (verizon galaxy nexus code name) specific clockwork mod recovery, I used the new touch recovery. Place the recovery image (i renamed mine to recovery.img) into that platform-tools folder
code for this is really simple:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot boot recovery.img
here's that video:
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aADB4nCw-AI[/YT]

diverbelow

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
I made a series of videos... never rooted my nexus. You don't need to. You just need to unlock the bootloader, but that will wipe your phone. Its why everyone here recommended unlocking the bootloader from day 1. Updating from 4.0.2 to 4.0.4 doesn't require a wipe, so if you unlocked your bootloader, you will keep all your info.

First, unlock the bootloader. You can do this on any computer (windows, mac, linux). My videos are done on mac, but the general process is exactly the same.
next, you will need to get fastboot for your computer. You can google and download it, or if you're tech savvy, you can compile it on your own (I would just download it, its a small file). Once you have it downloaded, place it in your platform-tools folder (you must run android.exe or equivalent to get the sdk tools which is how this folder is downloaded to your computer)
Once you have those, then you can unlock the bootloader. Follow this tutorial. If you are using a windows machine, use command prompt (type cmd in the start menu). Remember where you have the sdk downloaded to. I have mine in c:\ on my desktop, so my code for navigating to it would be:
Code:
for example,
Mac code:
Code:
./adb reboot bootloader
is Windows code:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
Here's the video:
Click to view quoted video

Download a toro (verizon galaxy nexus code name) specific clockwork mod recovery, I used the new touch recovery. Place the recovery image (i renamed mine to recovery.img) into that platform-tools folder
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
here's that video:

There is a way to push the update to the /cache folder without unlocking the boot loader. I saw at android forums scary alien showed how to root without unlocking and I mod some steps to push the update to the /cache folder and was able to update to 4.0.4.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
There is a way to push the update to the /cache folder without unlocking the boot loader. I saw at android forums scary alien showed how to root without unlocking and I mod some steps to push the update to the /cache folder and was able to update to 4.0.4.

As you said, you need root access.

diverbelow

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Safest bet for an OTA update is probably sometime in March.

I know the 4.0.4 is already up on Google's servers but VZW has to have their hand in the update, so we are waiting. I did not buy a Nexus phone, so the carrier can screw with the updates. If I wanted that, I would have bought a different phone.

Since upgrading yesterday, I noticed today with a full charge, I am getting better battery life and a lot snappier.

DisturbedShifty

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site

Code:
for example,
Mac code:
Code:
./adb reboot bootloader
is Windows code:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
Here's the video:

Code:
adb reboot bootloader
here's that video:

I guess I will have to wait. None of this makes any sense to me. I got as far as downloading the first two things and then from there I got lost. Maybe it is because I am on a PC and the tutorial is on a Mac, I don't know. All I know is that this made my head hurt.

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I guess I will have to wait. None of this makes any sense to me. I got as far as downloading the first two things and then from there I got lost. Maybe it is because I am on a PC and the tutorial is on a Mac, I don't know. All I know is that this made my head hurt.

Just use the GNex toolkit. You can backup your data before unlocking, and takes some really simple steps to achieve. Its all very self explanatory.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

zulu308

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I feel like I got railroaded by the same truck as wp7. there was talk of fast updates and stuff but i haven't seen anything since 4.0.2. i can't root the phone due to corpnet policy so I must wait for official release.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site

Code:
for example,
Mac code:
Code:
./adb reboot bootloader
is Windows code:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
Here's the video:

Code:
adb reboot bootloader
here's that video:

Nice work, Andrew!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloThere