OK, HTC fans....

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Let's not act like Boomsound is perfect. Try to show people a video on your phone is a pseudo noisey environment. Boomsound doesn't help. Time to move on guys. Everyone connects their phones to wireless speakers now.

I can't tell you how much I miss BoomSound. Most times I watch video on my phone are on breaks at work or whatever. Who wants to carry portable speakers everywhere they go?

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Nice luxury to have but not a necessity. I mostly use my iPad or laptop for media and connect to a Bluetooth speaker. Sound quality via headphones is much more important to me.

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't say "everyone" and in every situation. The less accessories I have to walk around with the better. Wasn't that the point of a smartphone to begin with? A iPod, cell phone and hand held computer all in one.

Posted via the Android Central App

You do need earphones or bluetooth speaker with an iPod though. Also, don't expect everyone is going to be good with your choice of music or video if you never walk around with earphones. Boomsound speakers sound pretty good, but of limited utility while on the go, unless you want to be that very annoying guy on the bus or office. ;) Plus, as good as they sound for being phone speakers, any decent music listening still needs earphones. So, I wouldn't really miss the speakers if they weren't there.

Last edited:

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I would HATE to see HTC scrap front-facing Boomsound stereo speakers. And not only because it's one of the features that specifically defines their brand today. I would much rather see more OEMs engineer them into their products instead of settling for speakers that fire away from you into the great beyond or down at your feet. That's always struck me as a pathetic and thoughtless design concession for a personal electronic device that's meant to reproduce sound and facilitate communication.

Besides ear buds, headphones and bluetooth speakers are items that some people choose to buy in addition to their cell phones for reasons of their own. Everyone should not be expected to rely on them or use them as evidence of a phone's quality, especially if you're already shelling out upwards of $500 for a phone.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
You do need earphones or bluetooth speaker with an iPod though. Also, don't expect everyone is going to be good with your choice of music or video if you never walk around with earphones. Boomsound speakers sound pretty good, but of limited utility while on the go, unless you want to be that very annoying guy on the bus or office. ;) Plus, as good as they sound for being phone speakers, any decent music listening still needs earphones. So, I wouldn't really miss the speakers if they weren't there.

I listen to a lot of podcasts. I actually prefer listening to them through the boomsound speakers when I am getting work done around the house.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
No other manufacturer offers Boomsound, so YOU WILL be connecting to a wireless speaker if HTC moves away from Boomsound and IF you purchase an M10. I will buy one and so will A LOT of other HTC fans.

People complaining about carrying a speaker around, that's what headsets and ear buds are for. Or buy multiple wireless speakers for work and home...geez

I don't really care about what other people do. All I am saying is not everyone wants to have to keep a bluetooth speaker any more than we don't need an iPod to listen to music anymore. Again, there is value in just using the device.

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
While boom sound is cool I think they will probably get more customers by getting rid of it and the subsequent HTC black bar and slimming the phone down. Boom sound is more of a niche thing. I couldn't tell you the last time i saw someone listening to music out of their phone speakers whether at work or anywhere else.

elshagon

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Bruh, just accept it. I held out on a flat screen for years. I could always afford one but settled upon my 27 inch Sony Trinitron from 2002. I purchased a new 75 inch Sony tv in November. Has all the bells and whistles. I connect my phone to my tv or soundbar via bluetooth and Google Cast. Boomsound is obsolete just like my 27 inch Sony. You will move on with a new M10 and we will talk about the phone like little school girls when you do. HTC will give us something to talk about if Boomsound disappears.

I think a more apt tv comparison would be that manufacturers are doing away with speakers on tv's especially in the front in favor for smaller bezels and thinner lcd's. They figure everyone who wants better sound will use a soundbar or a receiver and speakers. It's not like HTC is selling a boatload of phones due to stereo speakers in the front. I'm guessing they're eliminating the black bar and filling space taken with the speakers with the fingerprint scanner and hopefully a bigger battery. If we get a bigger battery and a competitive camera I'll take the speaker tradeoff in exchange.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
While boom sound is cool I think they will probably get more customers by getting rid of it and the subsequent HTC black bar and slimming the phone down. Boom sound is more of a niche thing. I couldn't tell you the last time i saw someone listening to music out of their phone speakers whether at work or anywhere else.

I totally agree, but I will say the lack of marketing/advertising contributed to boomsound not converting into sales. if HTC or Samsung had that feature, they could easily throw a couple billion at it, and a lot more customers would buy it than they did the M7-M9.

That said, HTC has to play with the hand they were dealt, and we can debate their past mistakes, but at this point in time they need the M10 to be successful, and desperately need brand recognition. This and the A9 (similar to Moto and iPhone) does achieve that, and designing a phone with similarities to Apple isn't the worst idea in the world.

I'm more interested in my phone delivering quality sound to my headphones than I am speakers.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I think a more apt tv comparison would be that manufacturers are doing away with speakers on tv's especially in the front in favor for smaller bezels and thinner lcd's. They figure everyone who wants better sound will use a soundbar or a receiver and speakers. It's not like HTC is selling a boatload of phones due to stereo speakers in the front. I'm guessing they're eliminating the black bar and filling space taken with the speakers with the fingerprint scanner and hopefully a bigger battery. If we get a bigger battery and a competitive camera I'll take the speaker tradeoff in exchange.

couldn't have said it better myself. space is precious in a smartphone, and like you said, I'll take a bigger battery and nicer camera over a second speaker any day.

and I think the sound on the M10, albeit not boomsound, will still be better than most phones. I'm more interested in the sound that's delivered to my earbuds, and also like the fingerprint sensor in lieu of the black bar/logo

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I had the M9 and now have the S6. I do miss a lot of things about the M9. For me to get the M10, I want a waaay better camera, fingerprint scanner and a better screen. If they do this, I'm in.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Why do you guys keep calling for a bigger battery? It's all about how a company like HTC optimizes their software. The M9 has a bigger battery than the M8, but battery life is better on the M8. At some point having the biggest battery is negligible to the power the phone will consume. Why do you think you dont seee companies adding huge batteries to phones. I am not ready to go back to the 80s phones with the huge batteries.We live in the US and there are outlets everywhere you go.

with all do respect, I hate the whole optimization/efficiency argument. here's why ... if a 2800 mAh battery is properly optimized, which HTC does well, and I get good battery life, how about giving me a 3300 mAh battery and then I'll get amazing battery life. sometimes nothing beats raw power, and optimization, no matter how well done, just doesn't provide that. and I've used the M8, the battery was OK at best IMO.

And not all of us work in an office, so I can go a full day without having access to an outlet.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I dont build phones but there is probably a good reason why they dont make huge batteries for phones. Leakage, burns, or instability at those sizes. Batteries get pretty hot and phones cant keep a bigger battery cool enough is probably the main issue.

So you dont work in an office. There are things called cell phone chargers that you plug into the outlet in your car. Also, there are quick charge battery packs I use when I travel. Mine will get you about 15 hours of extra charging time. Its the size of a deck of cards but a little wider. The people calling for these Zach Morris phones are not in the majority. Get a flip phone because nobody is paying any attention to huge batteries in phones. Just because a battery is larger doesn't mean it will last all day. HTC couldnt figure out how to get the bigger battery of the M9 on par with the M8. If it was so easy, Samsung would have done it by now. There is a reason why they don't put huge batteries in their phones.

I prefer quick charge over a bigger battery. I think that's the majority of us.

I prefer quick charge and a reasonably sized battery. But sorry for stating my opinion. Next time I'll leave the "with all do respect" out of it if I'm gonna receive such a snarky reply.

I have a 6p and car chargers/battery packs are tough to come by for USB-C ... and I'm in the city walking around a lot of days, take the train in so don't have the option to use the car charger.

it's really not that difficult, Huawei managed to use a 3400 mAh battery in a thin device, don't see why the other companies can't do the same ... just make the phone a mm thicker and there's your bigger battery.

but thanks for letting me know battery packs exist. I'll just continue to choose phones that get decent battery life (or have replaceable ones) instead of relying on 3rd party accessories to get me past noon!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I would love to buy an HTC phone that had a good camera; with a good screen size - anything five inches or under is kind of difficult for me to go back to now; because I love Netflix-watching and therefore need a bigger screen. However, display quality is also important; so if I did go back to 5/5.2", if the display was awesome, I'd maybe be okay with it. :)