OK I'm Ricky Ricardo, so please splain to me

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm on Sprint, at home I am always on WiFi. For the past three days there has been no Sprint service in my general vicinity because of tower updating (Howard Beach NY).

In my building I don't pick up the roaming partner, I assume it is Verizon but on the street I do.

I was always under the impression that while on WiFi my calls were not being carried buy the 3G service but over WiFi.

However for the past three days even though I have a maximum WiFi signal I can't make or receive calls even though my internet is as fast as it always was.

Would someone please explain to me if the calls are or are not carried via WiFi and if not how do I make VOIP calls with the phone. Either my original EVO 4G or my wife's Samsung Moment.

Thanks in advance

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I use the app 2nd line or use your Google number to make the calls it makes em over voip

Sent from my Nexus S 4g using Tapatalk 2

This is not correct about using Google voice. It does not go over voip, it uses the cell network for calls. Any calls made or received by the phone, whether it is with the cell number or GV number go over the cellular network. 3G and wifi are strictly for data only.

There is at least one app I know of, GrooveIP that allows one to use data for GV calls because it forwards the calls and receives them through gtalk, that could possibly be a solution for the OP.

murak

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Im no expert but I know that 3 (sweden) uses only 3G to make regular calls (I have "2G" disabled on my phone and only use 3G)

Anyway, you might want to install Skype with wich you can make calls to regular phones for a small fee over wifi.

Hope this helps.

GL!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
In my building I don't pick up the roaming partner, I assume it is Verizon
Sprint doesn't roam on Verizon, AFAIK. (AFAIK Sprint doesn't roam on anything, except maybe some small local CDMA carriers.)

I was always under the impression that while on WiFi my calls were not being carried buy the 3G service but over WiFi.
Calls are carried over the voice network, not Wifi or 3G.

Would someone please explain to me if the calls are or are not carried via WiFi and if not how do I make VOIP calls with the phone.
By downloading a VoIP app (and usually paying the VoIP carrier). (There may be some free VoIP carriers - you'd have to search.)

Cellphone voice and cellphone data (Wifi, Edge/3G/4G/EVDO) are totally separate networks. You can't download files on the voice network and you can't make phone calls (other than VoIP) on the data network.

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Sprint doesn't roam on Verizon, AFAIK. (AFAIK Sprint doesn't roam on anything, except maybe some small local CDMA carriers.)

Calls are carried over the voice network, not Wifi or 3G.

By downloading a VoIP app (and usually paying the VoIP carrier). (There may be some free VoIP carriers - you'd have to search.)

Cellphone voice and cellphone data (Wifi, Edge/3G/4G/EVDO) are totally separate networks. You can't download files on the voice network and you can't make phone calls (other than VoIP) on the data network.

OK, I get it, calls are not made on WiFi. However Sprint MUST have roaming agreements because my bill tells me how much data is being used while roaming. Since I live in NYC the only carrier that I can think of would be Verizon as a roaming partner.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
This is not correct about using Google voice. It does not go over voip, it uses the cell network for calls. Any calls made or received by the phone, whether it is with the cell number or GV number go over the cellular network. 3G and wifi are strictly for data only.

There is at least one app I know of, GrooveIP that allows one to use data for GV calls because it forwards the calls and receives them through gtalk, that could possibly be a solution for the OP.

Notice I said the app 2nd line I admit I was mistaken on gv but the app 2nd line definitely does voip calling

Sent from my Nexus S 4g using Tapatalk 2

murak

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
If you disable 3G do you lose the ability to make calls?

I can disable "mobile network" on my phone and I am still able to make calls. Just to clerify, I have GSM disabled and "WCDMA Only" enabled. I gues this means that It only uses 3G for calls?

Sorry for hogging the thread =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nadsak