Okay Google not working now

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Wondering if anyone can help me with this. I deleted the cache from my Google app which I don't think I should have done. Now. My Google Assistant is all screwed up. When I call it up, saying ok Google or hey Google, she won't respond with her voice.. it just opens up my keyboard to type my command in. How do I fix this? I'm attaching a screenshot of what comes up. Screenshot_20220829-213612.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I did that. I also cleared the cache and retrained the voice. Nothing is helping. I wonder if Google needs to turn something on at their end once you reset it?
Shouldn't, try uninstall the update, to do that long press Google app >tap info >upper right corner tap 3 dots and uninstall don't let play store update that app automatically see if it works

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Shouldn't, try uninstall the update, to do that long press Google app >tap info >upper right corner tap 3 dots and uninstall don't let play store update that app automatically see if it works
Okay so that worked! But I can tell it's an older version of Google because the settings aren't where I normally would find them. Do you think I should let it re-update now or leave it be?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Okay so that worked! But I can tell it's an older version of Google because the settings aren't where I normally would find them. Do you think I should let it re-update now or leave it be?
Let it update, if gives issues go back and uninstall

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So I restarted my phone and now Google Assistant won't work at all lol. Going to go back and try to uninstall updates and see what happens. I think I might have to call Google tomorrow
Possible a bug in a recent update to the app ;(.
But definitely connect with Google tomorrow

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you find yourself in the original situation again, open your Google app, tap your profile pic, then Settings>Google Assistant>General>Preferred Input, and make sure it's set to Voice.

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
If you find yourself in the original situation again, open your Google app, tap your profile pic, then Settings>Google Assistant>General>Preferred Input, and make sure it's set to Voice.
Yeah it was set to voice as the preferred input. That's what was so strange about it

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Probably a glitch in recent update
I believe you hit the nail on the head. Both my wife and I have noticed that the Assistant voice response has become hit or miss lately. This occurres on the Pixel 6 Pro, Pixel 4a and now on the Pixel 6a.
In fact Assistant actions have become a bit wonky overall. I use several routines throughout the day and lately Assistant misses performing one of the tasks in the routine. Example: A workday routine "Clocked In" includes turning on Bluetooth, turning off Do Not Disturb, and turning on the lights in my home office. Several times now it will skip one of those. When I run the routine a second time it hits all three.
More frequently it misinterprets a command or request, or just doesn't respond the first time.
So yea, I think a recent update is responsible for the Assistant's recent quirkiness.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
The Assistant keyboard plague has just struck. The assistant was working just fine until just a few minutes ago. Ugh!!!!

Update: Rebooted phone. The Assistant works fine...for now.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I believe you hit the nail on the head. Both my wife and I have noticed that the Assistant voice response has become hit or miss lately. This occurres on the Pixel 6 Pro, Pixel 4a and now on the Pixel 6a.
In fact Assistant actions have become a bit wonky overall. I use several routines throughout the day and lately Assistant misses performing one of the tasks in the routine. Example: A workday routine "Clocked In" includes turning on Bluetooth, turning off Do Not Disturb, and turning on the lights in my home office. Several times now it will skip one of those. When I run the routine a second time it hits all three.
More frequently it misinterprets a command or request, or just doesn't respond the first time.
So yea, I think a recent update is responsible for the Assistant's recent quirkiness.
Hopefully gets fixed quickly

harbinger007

Oct 21, 2021
Visit site
"Okay Google" and "Hey Google" started working again for me yesterday. I've not changed any settings and Verizon hasn't sent me the September update yet.