[Solved]"Hey Google" opens textually and not audibly?

flycaster

Jun 28, 2023
Visit site
Until recently, when I said "hey google" on my Galaxy A13-5g, google assistant would respond audibly. But now the opening response is textual; and luckily, when continuing, the response is audible. As far as I can tell, all settings for the voice assistance are correct. I have done a bit of googling, but have not gotten a fix.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I know this may sound a little obvious, but speaking from personal experience... Is the volume up on the phone? Is the conversational setting in the Voice section set to 'Full' or 'Brief' in your Assistant settings? I do know that the Google app has been updated and changed in the past few weeks, and at least one of the changes I've seen is that it no longer 'beeps' when prompted to open, but otherwise it will still reply audibly when asked a question.

flycaster

Jun 28, 2023
Visit site
Nothing wrong with the obvious as we often overlook it.
Settings appear to be correct. Am using Full. Interestingly,even though the opening response had changed to textual opening response, there was a short time that the opening text was accompanied by the phone vibrating. Now, although I haven't changed anything, the vibration is gone (would love to at least have it back;) but as stated before, luckily, I do get audible answers.

flycaster

Jun 28, 2023
Visit site
This question was entered a year ago and only two responses, none of which were helpful. So, I figure I'd ask again how to get the "Hey Google" to open with a beep...as it used to do. Google does open and the response is audible, but without its usual opening beep. I know that the beep was dropped, and I know that the beep is recoverable, but don't know how to do it. Hopefully, I'll now get a fix. Thanks.

EDIT: I have tried the Accessibility>Switch Access route. Right after doing this, Hey Google will beep the first time, but no beeping thereafter.

Last edited:

bostontecalo

Jan 26, 2024
Visit site
Have you tried adjusting your device's language settings? Sometimes, this can affect the behavior. Head to Settings > Language & Input > Voice Match, and ensure the language is set to your preference.

If the issue persists, check your Google app settings. Open the Google app, go to More > Settings > Voice > Speech output. Make sure "Hands-free only" is selected, and try toggling it on and off.

flycaster

Jun 28, 2023
Visit site
Have you tried adjusting your device's language settings? Sometimes, this can affect the behavior. Head to Settings > Language & Input > Voice Match, and ensure the language is set to your preference.

If the issue persists, check your Google app settings. Open the Google app, go to More > Settings > Voice > Speech output. Make sure "Hands-free only" is selected, and try toggling it on and off.

Speech Output=Full, no selection for"Hands-free only." Tried all your suggestions. Unfortunately, nothing worked. Thanks.

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
I solved a similar problem by uninstalling the updates to "Speech Recognition & Synthesis" and reverting to the factory-installed version.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
OK, this is gonna be a trip, but hopefully will work.

Go into device settings>accessibility>Vision enhancement and turn on a setting, such as magnifier. Now, summon assistant and say "open assistant settings", in those settings go to accessibility and turn on "Mic open notification (it says an app such as a screen reader, but hopefully magnifier will work)."

flycaster

Jun 28, 2023
Visit site
OK, this is gonna be a trip, but hopefully will work.

Go into device settings>accessibility>Vision enhancement and turn on a setting, such as magnifier. Now, summon assistant and say "open assistant settings", in those settings go to accessibility and turn on "Mic open notification (it says an app such as a screen reader, but hopefully magnifier will work)."
WOW, that does work! I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to get hey google's opening beep for months; and after doing all kinds of google researching, you've come up with the solution to my issue...Thanks, much.

But, now I do have a few questions. What do you mean by the "&gt? Perhaps, "go to?" When I finally got to it, my "mic open notification" was already ON. It appears that the critical step in this fix was turning on a setting in Vision Enhancement?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
WOW, that does work! I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to get hey google's opening beep for months; and after doing all kinds of google researching, you've come up with the solution to my issue...Thanks, much.

But, now I do have a few questions. What do you mean by the "&gt? Perhaps, "go to?" When I finally got to it, my "mic open notification" was already ON. It appears that the critical step in this fix was turning on a setting in Vision Enhancement?
The greater than sign is just intended as an arrow pointing to the next step in the settings chain, a lot of us use it that way

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This question was entered a year ago and only two responses, none of which were helpful. So, I figure I'd ask again how to get the "Hey Google" to open with a beep...as it used to do. Google does open and the response is audible, but without its usual opening beep. I know that the beep was dropped, and I know that the beep is recoverable, but don't know how to do it. Hopefully, I'll now get a fix. Thanks.

EDIT: I have tried the Accessibility>Switch Access route. Right after doing this, Hey Google will beep the first time, but no beeping thereafter.
You should just posted in the existing thread you created it would of brought your thread to the top again, no worries.
Your still using A13?

flycaster

Jun 28, 2023
Visit site
That is interesting... When you typed it, it did show up as greater than on my phone... What does it show up as on your computer? and what do you have your language set to?
Language=US English, ">" from your computer shows up as "&gt" on my computer. Whereas, when I type ">," I get ">."

flycaster

Jun 28, 2023
Visit site
You should just posted in the existing thread you created it would of brought your thread to the top again, no worries.
Your still using A13?
Still using A13...and now Hey Google always has an opening beep. I didn't re-state the question in the "old" thread as I felt I needed "new" folks to have a look.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Still using A13...and now Hey Google always has an opening beep. I didn't re-state the question in the "old" thread as I felt I needed "new" folks to have a look.
The thing is if someone looking with same device for a solution they probably see your original thread first and see no solution, now you have it Android 13 as before it was in ask a question so it's scattered in multiple places I personally think should be merged into one don't you think? Keep it organized, no ?

flycaster

Jun 28, 2023
Visit site
The thing is if someone looking with same device for a solution they probably see your original thread first and see no solution, now you have it Android 13 as before it was in ask a question so it's scattered in multiple places I personally think should be merged into one don't you think? Keep it organized, no ?
I fully get it. Try to keep things organized so that others with a similar problem can easily find a solution through the forum. However, not having a solution to the issue after about one year's post here and tons of Google researching, I was getting quite frustrated and figured it was time to try the forum again with a new thread...hoping to catch the eye of others that have never seen my original thread. And, BTW, I was right as evidenced by gaining an answer to my problem. Nonetheless, I do agree with you about trying to keep issues in one place.

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I fully get it. Try to keep things organized so that others with a similar problem can easily find a solution through the forum. However, not having a solution to the issue after about one year's post here and tons of Google researching, I was getting quite frustrated and figured it was time to try the forum again with a new thread...hoping to catch the eye of others that have never seen my original thread. And, BTW, I was right as evidenced by gaining an answer to my problem. Nonetheless, I do agree with you about trying to keep issues in one place.
Absolutely your correct that bringing your question again got more results than last time I'm glad to hear you got a solution but still think if you would of responded in your original thread it would brought it back to the top where people can see it again, so do you think its safe to say we can now merge it and mark it solved? Can also move it to the Samsung A series Forum

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali