One hour of casual Mobile Hotspot use equals...

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so maybe I'm bored :)

Anyway, just thought some of the folks who often ask "how much data will I use" might be interested in this data point.

I was using the Mobile Hotspot for just casual stuff and I took a snapshot of my 1 hour of data usage. During this time I was casually browsing Android Central, writing a few replies. Refreshing the page a lot and also browsing other bulletin board sites and doing the same. Also, I updated my Google shared calendar to my MS Outllook and downloaded 146 emails (accounting for about 3MB of data).

See uploaded snip for complete stats over a one hour period. Total of about 19 Megabytes (per hour).

Edit: It may also be worth mentioning that when I started I checked my battery, it was at 99 percent. I hooked up the USB to the laptop in the "Charge Only" mode to keep the battery up. My charge went to 100 percent within the first minute and never deteriorated. So, the laptop USB port could more than handle the drain of the MHS.

-Frank

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so maybe I'm bored :)

Anyway, just thought some of the folks who often ask "how much data will I use" might be interested in this data point.

I was using the Mobile Hotspot for just casual stuff and I took a snapshot of my 1 hour of data usage. During this time I was casually browsing Android Central, writing a few replies. Refreshing the page a lot and also browsing other bulletin board sites and doing the same. Also, I updated my Google shared calendar to my MS Outllook and downloaded 146 emails (accounting for about 3MB of data).

See uploaded snip for complete stats over a one hour period. Total of about 19 Megabytes (per hour).

Edit: It may also be worth mentioning that when I started I checked my battery, it was at 99 percent. I hooked up the USB to the laptop in the "Charge Only" mode to keep the battery up. My charge went to 100 percent within the first minute and never deteriorated. So, the laptop USB port could more than handle the drain of the MHS.

-Frank

19mb is not very much data for 1 hour, but about right for light usage. Keep in mind the mhs does not constantly use the same amount. if there's a minute where you are typing and not using data, that minute does not drain that much battery life. otoh, if you are streaming 1080p, that would put a substantial load. it also depends on the signal where you are as well.

if you want to know how much power is used from mhs, you can use battery monitor widget to log power usage, just keep in mind it may vary depending on condition.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meta321