Only sync Gmail and not contacts

Gary Jain

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't want to sync any of my gmail contacts to my phone but under sync settings, if I turn off sync contacts, my email messages will not be synced either. Is there a way to sync only emails and not Google contacts as well?

I have the same problem with my Yahoo account, its an old account that I primarily use for signups and I don't want to sync my contacts, just the email messages.

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I think you can turn off Contacts sync on its own. Go to Settings/Accounts-Google, then select your Google Account. You should see "Contacts" and "Gmail" as separate entries. Uncheck "Contacts," and I think that should turn off Contact sync while keeping Gmail sync active.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I think you can turn off Contacts sync on its own. Go to Settings/Accounts-Google, then select your Google Account. You should see "Contacts" and "Gmail" as separate entries. Uncheck "Contacts," and I think that should turn off Contact sync while keeping Gmail sync active.

That's 100% correct!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Gary Jain

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I've searched around and I saw that solution also, but for the S4 there doesn't seem to be any check boxes, if I select contacts it starts to manually sync them, I attached a screen shot of what the options look like. Thank you for your help.
2013-09-01 07.48.29.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is your Background Sync on or off? If it's off, you won't get the checkboxes. Make sure it's turned on, then check that screen again.

preese

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
I just did what you recommended, restarted my phone and I am still getting the eternal circling updating contacts on my Samsung 4S. Any other ideas?