Opinions on factory reset after a period of use

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I would have to say your having less issues than most others. It's normal for Samsung devices to only get through the 90 day return window before showing the "clog" as you put it(I like that). I use to be a Samsung fan till the Verizon Galaxy Nexus and will never buy another.

You are comparing a current day device to one that was introduced in 2011? I gotta ask: Why do you comment in Samsung forums if you don't have any current Samsung devices? Are you adding value to the forum?

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
You are comparing a current day device to one that was introduced in 2011? I gotta ask: Why do you comment in Samsung forums if you don't have any current Samsung devices? Are you adding value to the forum?

I never compared the 2 devices. I may not directly own these products but several of my friends and family have Samsung or Iphone devices and I am the guy they goto to "unclog" their device. So I get alot of hands on time with lots of different devices. I am also not monetarily invested into Samsung devices anymore so I give a less bias opinion of them since after buying a device the owner to some degree displays fanboyism to backup their purchase.

And to the greater point that is why people come here to see both yours and my opinions.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I never compared the 2 devices. I may not directly own these products but several of my friends and family have Samsung or Iphone devices and I am the guy they goto to "unclog" their device. So I get alot of hands on time with lots of different devices. I am also not monetarily invested into Samsung devices anymore so I give a less bias opinion of them since after buying a device the owner to some degree displays fanboyism to backup their purchase.

And to the greater point that is why people come here to see both yours and my opinions.

Fair enough. I submit, however, getting a "clogged device" is caused by human behavior. Download tons of apps, especially apps that run a lot of background processes, and the phone will slow down. It's the same reason people get viruses on their PC: Click on everything in sight with no restraint and a virus will be a result. It comes down to ignorant behavior and lack of restraint. The issue isn't really a Samsung issue as it is an Android issue. Android makes a presumption that the user takes some responsibility in their actions and lets apps run in the background and when too many are running in the background it not only slows down the device but kills battery life.

Most of the time removing offending apps solves the problem. Identifying those apps can be problematic. Clearing the cache, as some have suggested, only solves some problems. Eventually, if the offending apps aren't removed, it will reoccur. A factory reset will always solve it, unless there's a hardware issue. Changing human behavior and being very, very picky about what to install will keep it at bay.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Fair enough. I submit, however, getting a "clogged device" is caused by human behavior. Download tons of apps, especially apps that run a lot of background processes, and the phone will slow down. It's the same reason people get viruses on their PC: Click on everything in sight with no restraint and a virus will be a result. It comes down to ignorant behavior and lack of restraint. The issue isn't really a Samsung issue as it is an Android issue. Android makes a presumption that the user takes some responsibility in their actions and lets apps run in the background and when too many are running in the background it not only slows down the device but kills battery life.

Most of the time removing offending apps solves the problem. Identifying those apps can be problematic. Clearing the cache, as some have suggested, only solves some problems. Eventually, if the offending apps aren't removed, it will reoccur. A factory reset will always solve it, unless there's a hardware issue. Changing human behavior and being very, very picky about what to install will keep it at bay.

This is sooooo true. If your leave a device alone in a room and just recharge it will be just as fast as the day you left it in the room alone. And is universal across Android to some degree but Samsung does leave alot of loose code throughout their TouchWiz layer that leaves alot of anomalous data that gets in the cache partition and never removed or cleaned out without intervention. This data has even been able to make itself write protected making it harder to remove. The Devs over at XDA have run into it making ROMs for Sammy devices.

Imo Samsung is more than capable of cleaning up TouchWiz to a higher standard without any real problems except maybe a slightly lower quarterly bonus because they had to payout some overtime.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
LOL, I wish someone would tell my "old lady friends" this. Actually someone has..ME! Their motto is "you can never have too many apps" :confused:
I'm guessing whatever it was that had just recently caused my system to slow down a bit was an app. I was just in the process of starting to remove them one by one when
the problem disappeared. Maybe an app was updated and fixed the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174