Oreo coming to ALL V20s on September 7, 2018

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Update: so far, I haven't received the update on my US Unlocked LG-US996 model V20 yet. Seems like Verizon users haven't gotten it yet either. The September 7th date must've been for AT&T only. Keep checking daily and let any of us know if you got it.

Surprise.... surprise

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE 09/09/18: LG-US996 US Unlocked V20 Oreo update confirmed for ***mid-October. Still no word on T-Mobile V20 but you can contact LG if you want to know. Be patient, there's nothing absolutely urgent to have Oreo.. those that have Oreo will tell you it's not that different and performance is the exact same.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE 09/09/18: LG-US996 US Unlocked V20 Oreo update confirmed for ***mid-October. Still no word on T-Mobile V20 but you can contact LG if you want to know. Be patient, there's nothing absolutely urgent to have Oreo.. those that have Oreo will tell you it's not that different and performance is the exact same.

Christmas lol

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
How could he really know other than what he speculates?

asset.png

Sometimes the LG customer service doesn't know everything, the date for September 7 was for AT&T apparently. The mid-October date for the unlocked version is confirmed by LG. Whether they keep their word or not is on them, but rushing them isn't going to make the software any better.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You don't think there are differences in Oreo?

From what people say it's nothing drastic. I've seen YouTube video clips of it, it just seems like they updated the UI a little bit. Looking at newer models of LG phones with Oreo, it just looks updated that's all.. plus the AI cam. Nothing really changed much, they didn't even have the option to change the display resolution, which I was expecting. The only hope was better battery performance but IDK if that'll be a placebo or not.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Christmas lol

Hopefully with Project Treble on Android Oreo on the new devices, updates will be pushed out faster from now on. I'm not complaining too much since I've always had negative experiences with software updates screwing up the device so sometimes I avoid it fearing unwanted changes..

tickerguy

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
The primary improvement with Oreo (and beyond) is battery and notification management improvements; the former helps power consumption quite notably by preventing backgrounded apps from trashing your battery and the latter allows you to prevent apps from spamming you with notifications, and is extremely useful.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The primary improvement with Oreo (and beyond) is battery and notification management improvements; the former helps power consumption quite notably by preventing backgrounded apps from trashing your battery and the latter allows you to prevent apps from spamming you with notifications, and is extremely useful.

Can you screen shot the screen on time?

On average, I typically get 2-4 hours SOT on my V20 (sometimes 5-6 on battery saver mode). Standby time on LG phones is phenomenal, it can last a whole week if screen isn't on too long.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
View attachment 290213

Sometimes the LG customer service doesn't know everything, the date for September 7 was for AT&T apparently. The mid-October date for the unlocked version is confirmed by LG. Whether they keep their word or not is on them, but rushing them isn't going to make the software any better.

Your answer has nothing to with my post

Last edited:

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
From what people say it's nothing drastic. I've seen YouTube video clips of it, it just seems like they updated the UI a little bit. Looking at newer models of LG phones with Oreo, it just looks updated that's all.. plus the AI cam. Nothing really changed much, they didn't even have the option to change the display resolution, which I was expecting. The only hope was better battery performance but IDK if that'll be a placebo or not.

V20 should be gaining the following:

Immersive mode
Improved settings menu including search
Adaptive icon shapes
App shortcuts
Native auto-fill of passwords (more convenient and more secure than prior versions)
Improvement to app notification settings - centralization
Notification Channels
Notification badges improved - reflects actual notifications
Battery life improvements
Better battery management settings
Improvements to storage management
Support for LDAC codec
Improvement to blue light filter for Comfort view
Native PiP

In addition to the basic security and functionality that the new version brings.

tickerguy

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
Can you screen shot the screen on time?

On average, I typically get 2-4 hours SOT on my V20 (sometimes 5-6 on battery saver mode). Standby time on LG phones is phenomenal, it can last a whole week if screen isn't on too long.
2-4 SOT implies your battery is hosed. Load Accubattery and see what it says for capacity after a few cycles. I bet you're down around 2800, which will really screw you since you've got 400mah missing and that's not far from where the battery goes "dead dead" on you.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
V20 should be gaining the following:

Immersive mode
Improved settings menu including search
Adaptive icon shapes
App shortcuts
Native auto-fill of passwords (more convenient and more secure than prior versions)
Improvement to app notification settings - centralization
Notification Channels
Notification badges improved - reflects actual notifications
Battery life improvements
Better battery management settings
Improvements to storage management
Support for LDAC codec
Improvement to blue light filter for Comfort view
Native PiP

In addition to the basic security and functionality that the new version brings.

The LDAC CODEC is amazing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yusufdontk