Owners - what are your impressions of the Galaxy S10?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I got my Galaxy S10+ delivered today (just the basic 128gb, white model). Opened it up and have been playing with it for the last few hours. I'm coming from a Pixel 3 XL so here are my impressions.

First, the positives:

+ The screen is astonishingly good. I mean, really crazy good. I don't mind the holepunch design at all and don't notice it at all. I do have to get used to looking at the time to the left more than in the far right corner, but I'll be fine.

+ The design of this phone is amazing. I don't know how they got a screen that large, that beautiful, with all the specs, the battery size, 3.5mm jack and still kept the phone so small. The Pixel 3 XL looks embarassingly large next to it.

+ Fingerprint scanner is good for me. I wouldn't say great or amazing, but it's pretty good. There's a half second delay, but I don't seem to have issues with it not recognising my thumb. The technology is pretty amazing in itself and it feels really futuristic putting your thumb on the screen and the phone unlocking.

+ One UI is surprisingly actually decent. And this is from someone who gave up on Samsung phones in the past due to Touchwiz/Samsung Experience. Initial impressions is that Samsung have put a lot of thought into the new UI. I really like the convenience of everything being down at the bottom half of the screen and love the dark theme.

+ The phone is extremely fast. Super snappy everywhere. Faster than the Pixel 3 XL for sure, which is really quite embarassing for performance. I'm certain the 8gb ram is why I haven't seen an app reload on the S10+, yet I see apps reloading all the time on the P3XL.

+ Wide angle camera lens is so fun. You can get so much more picture with the wide angle lens, I almost want to use it all the time. Every phone should have this feature.

Now to the not-so-great parts:

- Face unlock. Yes I know it's not the preferred method of unlocking the phone, but I feel if they include it, then it should be of an acceptable state and I don't think the face unlock is.

- The camera. While I'm loving wide angle, I feel the Pixel 3 XL takes better photos. Seems to take shots with better contrast and I like how they handle colours and sharpness more. Also, with the wide angle lens, it seems to warp the sides of the image more than I'd like.

Other than that I can't really fault the phone. As I said I just got it today, so no idea what battery life would be like just yet, but first impressions of that are realy positive too. A 4,100mah beast should last a full day with ease, which is nice, as Google are more concerned with putting in less ram and smaller batteries on their phones and having AI 'smarts' work everything out....but it doesn't work everything out.

The S10+ is a real flagship in every sense of the word. It's kinda crazy how it does so many things right and doesn't do much of anything wrong. Not yet anyway.

So what are your thoughts for those who have had the phone for a while?

WizeGuyDezignz

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Glad you are enjoying your phone!

I have some possible solutions to a couple of your problems. You can move the clock to the right side with Good Lock. Download Good Lock from the Samsung Store and open up/install QuickStar. You can change clock position to the right side or even hide it if you want. Screenshot attached...

Attachments

• 3929.jpg
    3929.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 29

WizeGuyDezignz

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
My other solution is your concern with edge distortion with the ultra wide angle lens. If you go into your camera settings and save options, make sure "Ultra wide shape correction" is checked. It helps with this. Screenshot attached...

Attachments

• 3928.jpg
    3928.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 28

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I got my Galaxy S10+ delivered today (just the basic 128gb, white model). Opened it up and have been playing with it for the last few hours. I'm coming from a Pixel 3 XL so here are my impressions.

First, the positives:

+ The screen is astonishingly good. I mean, really crazy good. I don't mind the holepunch design at all and don't notice it at all. I do have to get used to looking at the time to the left more than in the far right corner, but I'll be fine.

+ The design of this phone is amazing. I don't know how they got a screen that large, that beautiful, with all the specs, the battery size, 3.5mm jack and still kept the phone so small. The Pixel 3 XL looks embarassingly large next to it.

+ Fingerprint scanner is good for me. I wouldn't say great or amazing, but it's pretty good. There's a half second delay, but I don't seem to have issues with it not recognising my thumb. The technology is pretty amazing in itself and it feels really futuristic putting your thumb on the screen and the phone unlocking.

+ One UI is surprisingly actually decent. And this is from someone who gave up on Samsung phones in the past due to Touchwiz/Samsung Experience. Initial impressions is that Samsung have put a lot of thought into the new UI. I really like the convenience of everything being down at the bottom half of the screen and love the dark theme.

+ The phone is extremely fast. Super snappy everywhere. Faster than the Pixel 3 XL for sure, which is really quite embarassing for performance. I'm certain the 8gb ram is why I haven't seen an app reload on the S10+, yet I see apps reloading all the time on the P3XL.

+ Wide angle camera lens is so fun. You can get so much more picture with the wide angle lens, I almost want to use it all the time. Every phone should have this feature.

- Face unlock. Yes I know it's not the preferred method of unlocking the phone, but I feel if they include it, then it should be of an acceptable state and I don't think the face unlock is.

- The camera. While I'm loving wide angle, I feel the Pixel 3 XL takes better photos. Seems to take shots with better contrast and I like how they handle colours and sharpness more. Also, with the wide angle lens, it seems to warp the sides of the image more than I'd like.

Other than that I can't really fault the phone. As I said I just got it today, so no idea what battery life would be like just yet, but first impressions of that are realy positive too. A 4,100mah beast should last a full day with ease, which is nice, as Google are more concerned with putting in less ram and smaller batteries on their phones and having AI 'smarts' work everything out....but it doesn't work everything out.

The S10+ is a real flagship in every sense of the word. It's kinda crazy how it does so many things right and doesn't do much of anything wrong. Not yet anyway.

Glad you have a good experience so far .. welcome to the other side :)

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The build quality, dimensionality and overall feel of my GS10+ is noticeably improved from my GS9+. It is thinner and lighter and the minimalized bezels are impressive. The only issue from a build perspective is the OEM screen protector, which is really not a build or design issue. After installing my Otterbox Defender case, I noticed that the OEM screen protector is bubbling along the left edge and two upper corners. Removal may be imminent.

The screen cutout is absolutely no issue and appears to be a more elegant solution than a notch. It appears to be an intermediate step to a bezel free display. With each passing day, it is less noticeable and it's impact on on full screen content is minimized with the cutout in the lower right corner when viewing it in landscape mode.

Haven't utilized the ultrasonic fingerprint scanner due to unfounded expectations that it isn't stored solely on the device. Subsequent software updates should improve functionality. Next future iteration will probably allow fingerprints to be placed in a larger area.

Power button placement complaints by reviewers are getting annoying especially from the more well-known and experienced. The GS10+ is not a device that is one handed for mere mortals who need to use two hands and stop being lazy about adjusting the grip. Could it be the internal space needed for the larger battery, fingerprint sensor and cooling tunnel? Build a bridge and adjust your grip and hand placement.

Screen is bright and stunning from a resolution perspective. Haven't noticed any screen bleeding, distortion or unusual blue tint. Gestures result in swift, fluid execution. Device has been speedy and fluid overall. Battery life is much improved.

When in multi window, the screen is cropped in landscape mode so that the cutout is not showing. When unlocking using the PIN method, you don't have to hit OK. Tap to wake is a great change from the haptic feedback from pressing the screen to wake up the device.

Last edited:

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Like I said my only negative is the PRICE but at least Samsung gives you credits. I give them props for it.

No, it's not even close to what Apple is offering. I don't think I can trade in a non responsive iPhone 7, it turns on which qualifies and get a total credit of $455 CAN off the cost.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Haven't utilized the ultrasonic fingerprint scanner due to unfounded expectations that it isn't stored solely on the device..

I haven't heard anything either way on whether Samsung uploads the fingerprint or stores on device. I hadn't thought about it honestly until reading your post.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Can you expand on that?

I'm old fashioned when it comes to balancing the convenience of the ever increasing number of ways to access your smartphone more easily versus identity theft. I totally get that, no matter how mature a feature is, unscrupulous individuals will find a way to breach the security of cloud storage of Samsung or a wireless carrier or ISP. If it's stored locally on the device and inaccessible to apps, Samsung or the wireless carrier, then I would not have an issue with using the feature.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I haven't played with the camera yet, but I never expect much from the camera. I just point and shoot. I don't get a phone for the camera, and I could definitely go without the front camera, have no need for selfies, SMH. if it wasn't for the proximity sensor on the front I would love this phone in a version with no front camera and no hole in the screen at all.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm old fashioned when it comes to balancing the convenience of the ever increasing number of ways to access your smartphone more easily versus identity theft. I totally get that, no matter how mature a feature is, unscrupulous individuals will find a way to breach the security of cloud storage of Samsung or a wireless carrier or ISP. If it's stored locally on the device and inaccessible to apps, Samsung or the wireless carrier, then I would not have an issue with using the feature.

You said:

"Haven't utilized the ultrasonic fingerprint scanner due to unfounded expectations that it isn't stored solely on the device."

What I read from that is this:

"the fingerprint isn't stored solely on the device".

Can you expand on that?

fredhenk

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't believe anyone touched on this yet but the 10+ doesn't have a charging light? I miss the charging light. the comfort of the glowing green light knowing all is 100% charged

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site

First, the positives:

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have a lot to look forward to. Cant wait for Monday to arrive.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have a lot to look forward to. Cant wait for Monday to arrive.

Did you get your phone? How do you like it?

I must say, now that I've had the phone for 2 weeks now, I really like it. The battery is insane - absolute champ.

Again, the screen is just beautiful, it's super fast throughout the UI and nothing slows it down. I also apps don't seem to reload on this device much at all, which is great. Makes everything so fluid.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Did you get your phone? How do you like it?

I must say, now that I've had the phone for 2 weeks now, I really like it. The battery is insane - absolute champ.

Again, the screen is just beautiful, it's super fast throughout the UI and nothing slows it down. I also apps don't seem to reload on this device much at all, which is great. Makes everything so fluid.

Yes I did get the phone. I really love this thing. In regards to the battery, I agree 100%. It really gets me through the whole day.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The build quality, dimensionality and overall feel of my GS10+ is noticeably improved from my GS9+. It is thinner and lighter and the minimalized bezels are impressive. The only issue from a build perspective is the OEM screen protector, which is really not a build or design issue. After installing my Otterbox Defender case, I noticed that the OEM screen protector is bubbling along the left edge and two upper corners. Removal may be imminent.

The screen cutout is absolutely no issue and appears to be a more elegant solution than a notch. It appears to be an intermediate step to a bezel free display. With each passing day, it is less noticeable and it's impact on on full screen content is minimized with the cutout in the lower right corner when viewing it in landscape mode.

Haven't utilized the ultrasonic fingerprint scanner due to unfounded expectations that it isn't stored solely on the device. Subsequent software updates should improve functionality. Next future iteration will probably allow fingerprints to be placed in a larger area.

Power button placement complaints by reviewers are getting annoying especially from the more well-known and experienced. The GS10+ is not a device that is one handed for mere mortals who need to use two hands and stop being lazy about adjusting the grip. Could it be the internal space needed for the larger battery, fingerprint sensor and cooling tunnel? Build a bridge and adjust your grip and hand placement.

Screen is bright and stunning from a resolution perspective. Haven't noticed any screen bleeding, distortion or unusual blue tint. Gestures result in swift, fluid execution. Device has been speedy and fluid overall. Battery life is much improved.

When in multi window, the screen is cropped in landscape mode so that the cutout is not showing. When unlocking using the PIN method, you don't have to hit OK. Tap to wake is a great change from the haptic feedback from pressing the screen to wake up the device.

In order to meet Android requirements, fingerprints are only stored on the device in a secure area and not uploaded to the cloud, transferred to another device, thirty party apps or anywhere else.

RN50

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Battery of my s10 is very good the only thing that annoys me is the initial 2-4% drain on the first 45 mins when you barely touch the phone. after that it's fine and is always on 50-60% when I finish work.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

First, the positives:

When I place the S10+ next to the Pixel 3XL they appear to be the same physical size so I'm not sure you mean by the Pixel being embarrassingly large.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz