Phone doing things by itself

Tomg14

Sep 15, 2021
Visit site
Whenever I listen to music, watch a video or sometimes even text my phone will randomly start changing the volume or open my Bixby without me touching the phone. Sometimes il close spotify to try and fix it and before I reopen the app itll start playing a random song from my playlist. I've seen videos of people cleaning there screen and restarting the phone multiple times. I've tried everything and dont know what to do any help?
I have a s9 that I bought used a couple months ago and it just started doing this a week or two ago

Hey there, I have a samsung s9 and whenever i play music or a video or sometimes when I'm not using it my phone turns up and down the volume by itself, it constantly skips, restarts or stops videos and music and my Bixby opens by itself sometimes I've tried restarting my phone a million times and reinstalled some of the apps I use for music and nothing works. My screen is not crack and I haven't had this phone for that long. I do have a case but it still happens with or without the case. I'm hoping its not something internal, any ideas would help alot

Last edited by a moderator:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If the incidents always involve volume changes and Bixby prompts, chances are the physical buttons are the culprit (either need to be cleaned or replaced). If the incidents are random actions on screen, you might have a defective touch panel.
It could also be a false contact/faulty connector on the USB port, but this is more rare.
To rule out hardware issues you can try booting up your phone into Safe Mode. If it does it there, unfortunately, the issue is with hardware.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Since you mention spotify and I know that phone has a 3.5mm headphone jack I'm going to ask does this only happen with headphones plugged in?

My Note 8 does the same thing when I plug a pair of headphones into it, a previous phone of mine prior did it as well. It's a problem with the headphone jack, it's not caused by software.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If you have a case or a screen protector on, try taking those off and see if the problem persists.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Do you have a screen protector installed? If so, try removing it because those have been known to cause touch response issues like that. If there is no protector installed, then it sounds like the screen digitizer is bad, which requires a screen replacement.

flower_field2

Sep 2, 2021
Visit site
What model, carrier and software build do you have?
Does this happens when you are using headphones?
it only happens when you play music?
try it on safe mode maybe, or right after it happens submit an error report on members app > + button > error report

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hey there, I have a samsung s9 and whenever i play music or a video or sometimes when I'm not using it my phone turns up and down the volume by itself, it constantly skips, restarts or stops videos and music and my Bixby opens by itself sometimes I've tried restarting my phone a million times and reinstalled some of the apps I use for music and nothing works. My screen is not crack and I haven't had this phone for that long. I do have a case but it still happens with or without the case. I'm hoping its not something internal, any ideas would help alot
Hi, welcome to AC!
Any buttons sticking?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
How come screen protector can cause such issues within the device?
Modern screens work by detecting the small electrical impulses in your fingers. Anything covering the screen that interferes with that detection can cause problems, including screen protectors.

Coincidentally, this is why a lot of cold weather knit gloves have "smartphone compatible" labels on them now. They have metal woven into the fabric to let those electrical impulses pass through to the screen, and often identified by having silver fingertips.

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
I wear cloth work gloves with rubberised tips that do no let me use the touch screen in normal times. However in these pandemic times I have been using sanitiser on them between customers which keeps them slightly moist and does let me use the touch screen.

BTW otherwise with un-gloved hands I have also noticed that using the very top of my fingers often does not work whereas the end of the finger where the fingerprint whorl is does work. Seems to happen more outside in colder weather.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Drier/callous skin can also prevent screens (especially ones with screen protectors) from working properly. (That's also why in the early days of under-screen fingerprint sensors licking your finger beforehand helped if it kept not registering).

Shally Mamiz

Banned
Oct 7, 2021
Visit site
Modern screens work by detecting the small electrical impulses in your fingers. Anything covering the screen that interferes with that detection can cause problems, including screen protectors.

Coincidentally, this is why a lot of cold weather knit gloves have "smartphone compatible" labels on them now. They have metal woven into the fabric to let those electrical impulses pass through to the screen, and often identified by having silver fingertips.

Okay I never knew electrical impulses from me is helping me to operate my smartphone. But I don't see any responsiveness issues with my screen by installing a screen protector

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia