Phone keeps saying update

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
My phone keeps saying I have an update so I do it and it shows progress phone shuts down restarts and then says Update not completed. No update was applied to your phone.
It shows that I have 2.1-update1 already
Kernel 2.6.29 Jetaek.lee@sep-11#2
?clair build

Now I went back to stock with Odin and I was going to Flash the Cog ROM. But I have not done it yet. I get this update if I am rooted or not. Either way it keeps failing. It is annoying because every time my phone starts up it keeps applying this update that keeps failing. I have wiped my phone 3 times already and it keeps showing up.

Also one other thing
After I used Odin I went to put my Titanium backup onto the phone. It will not pick it up and I have Titanium Backup on my phone and keep putting the backup file I made, back into the root dir of the phone. I cant get my contacts back or my calender info. Everything else I don't care about from the backup I made.
I tried it has a zip file by changing the name to update.zip and also putting all the files back into root. I also tried putting it directly into the Titanium folder which is on the drive of the phone.

Last edited:

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
After I used Odin I went to put my Titanium backup onto the phone. It will not pick it up and I have Titanium Backup on my phone and keep putting the backup file I made, back into the root dir of the phone.

First, make sure you downloaded Titanium Backup from the market and not from some file you saved from your phone. If it is not working at all, you need to root your phone. Titanium Backup only works for rooted phones. If you are rooted and it is telling you that it cannot restore your apps, since ATT has sideloading locked down it is not possible to restore your apps without enabling sideloading. There are several articles out there that explain how to enable sideloading on your phone (http://androidforums.com/captivate-tips-tricks/124738-how-enable-sideloading-apps-captivate.html). If you apply any of the ROMs out there like Cognition, sideloading is automatically enabled. A note on restoring from Titanium Backup - if you backed up everything while on a 2.2 ROM, only restore apps - do not restore system data. Likewise if you backed up while on 2.1 - do not restore system data on a 2.2 ROM.

I cant get my contacts back or my calender info.

If you are using Gmail to sync your contacts and calendar, this should not be a problem. Titanium Backup does not save contacts and calendar information. If you are not using Gmail for your contacts and calendar, when you used Odin it wiped all of your personal settings - you will not be able to get that info back.

Reactions: Raven71

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Thank You S2h2Golf

Yea I downloaded it from the market again. But you explained the problem. I did not realize it didn't save contacts or the calender. I rooted using One Click Root and have super user rights for Titanium and Rom manager. I do realize only to restore the system data.
I have been following the Videos on the site and am at the point of seeing them in my sleep. It was a stupid mistake for me not to do a separate back up of my Contacts and Calender. But I did export my contacts to my computer through Blue-tooth has a yahoo_ab.csv file and also an Name.docx file. I was missing them on my computer after I did a format of my hard drive.(which is another story). So what I did I e-mailed it to myself and it is in a e-mail on my phone, but I don't know how to put it back into my contacts.
I have Android zip OfficeSuite, Documents to go on my phone. So I am able to see them now. I just don't know how to put them back into my contact app. Is there a way to export them from my Outlook express back onto my phone? When I reinstalled the stock system from Odin onto my phone, I signed up for the ATT contact thing, Not sure if that is of any help right now. I do have my contacts in Yahoo address book which I didn't realize but not sure if I can use that to get them back into my contact app on the phone.

I wish I knew why my phone keeps saying there is an update and keeps trying to install and keeps failing it is getting annoying.

Last edited:

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
If you are rooted, I highly recommend once you get things working again that you look into loading a custom ROM. It will both get you updated, and get rid of the annoying update that you are seeing.

As for your contacts. what you want to do, is IMPORT them into your Gmail address. If you have a CSV file, this should be easy from any computer. Then you setup your Gmail on your phone, and woila, all your contacts will be there and you will never again need to backup your contacts, because Gmail does it for you.

Gmail is your master contact list as well as your master calendar.

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks loraque
That did the trick putting my contacts back into the contact app. I was about to put each one back by hand.
Now that I have some time again I am going to put the Cognition ROM on and give it a try. I showed one of the reps at the ATT store the thing with the update and he could not figure it out. He says I am up to date in either case with the latest ATT OTA upgrade.
Funny thing is my phone is running fine and after I did the Odin wipe and installed the one from there my phone is working fast. Even my GPS is getting locked on and inside my house. Then when I try a NAV program it is working with no problems. Still Im going to give the Cog ROM a try. Now that I know how to go back to stock and see my phone will not brick I feel confident to mess deeper into the bowels of the Captivate.....

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
If you are/were using the JF6, 2.1 Eclair version installed by the ODIN one click, the update that you were seeing was probably an invite for the over the air (OTA) update from ATT to JF7 (which basically removed tethering).

The ODIN JF6 version isn't quite stock though, and the OTA update never completes. There were lots of posts over at XDA about this. You used to be able to update it via KIES, if you wish. I can't confirm, I jumped straight to Cognition.

Hope this helps,

AoN