phone may go back

theusername1

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I believe I may return this phone. First, it is just slightly too big to use with one hand. Second, I really believe Sense is better (why can't i move from the last "panel" back to the first? ie, go from screen 6 directly to 1). Third, I really hate the delay when you remove the phone from your head for the the screen to light. Fourth, is it just me or does the speakerphone not loud at all. Am i wrong?

I may return and wait for the Evo Design 4g (stupid name) (yes i know its mid-range)

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Theusername1 - I think when it comes to Sense, TouchWiz, Blur Lite, it's really a personal preference. At first I missed a couple of the widgets and such. Blur doesnt have a good monthly calendar widget like sense and I imagine if you have a lot of home screens being able to scroll through them continuously is valuable (interestingly TouchWiz lets you do that in the Applications menu). I definitely see how this phone could be too big for someone. Luckily I have pretty big hands so it doesnt bother me much but my wife doesn't and its tough for her to use it the same way she uses her Palm Pixi (a ridiculously small smartphone that there isnt a good replacement for). As for the last two points, they aren't features that I use much but could both be very annoying.

Good luck in your future cell phone buying experiences. I'm already looking forward to the next crop of phones that I am sure will make this stuff look antiquated

scoob

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Lots of people say the phone is too big. That is why my wife didn't get it.
Form factor can't change but if you don't like the phone because of the launcher- there are lots of other launchers off the Market. I am using Go Launcher at the moment.

Also, I agree that the speaker seems not a loud (comparing it to the Epic I had). Then again, I usually have the audio streaming through my BT heahphones or car speakers.

Didn't even know about the Evo Design. Good luck.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
+1 on BT or car speakers.

I don't use my phone for media consumption outside of throwing on some podcasts on my drive home from work. Since BT is always connected as soon as I turn my car on, I don't utilize the speakerphone. Outside of a quick youtube video here and there I won't use it much. That being said, its an important feature for someone who does a lot of that.

mmark27

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I miss the HTC notification sounds. BUT that's about it. This phone rocks and I don't mind the TouchWiz interface. Kind of new and exciting to me - I've found it pretty functional. I've been with HTC phones since the release of the Hero and it was getting old hat. Anyone know where you can find a dump of all the HTC sounds????

Also, all the issues with reception and loss of signal are getting addressed in a soon to be released MR according to Sprint folks (that I trust). I haven't had the loss of signal yet though.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
To me, the size was going to be one of, if not the, main reason that people either didn't buy or returned this phone. It took some adjusting for me, but I really like it now. Still, it's not for everyone. I think the earpiece is really loud personally. I find myself often having to turn it down or hold it away from my ear on calls. Everyone's experience is always going to be a bit different though.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I've never had any loss of signal. Been a very stable phone for me. I had one instance where the GPS wouldn't lock, truth to be told I had been messing around with it on and off for awhile inside of a golf app. A quick restart (and really with this phone it is quick, the Photon took forever compared) and I was just fine.

I like switching back and forth between Sense/TouchWiz/Blur and I don't see that driving my future device purchases. That being said its Android for Life.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Several reasons keeping me from pulling the trigger on this phone in the first place, but one of them isn't the size (which I love).

1. Over-saturation on pictures is the biggie for me (difference when viewed on the phone vs. a computer monitor or uploaded somewhere like Facebook).
2. The lack of a car dock.
3. The over-heating issues I keep reading about.
4. Weak signal that some are reporting.
5. No NFC.
6. New phones just around the corner, including some HD HTC phone, which I'd prefer.
7. It's a Samsung, and I've been burned before with an orphaned phone.

I do like the size, weight, and don't mind the plastic. In fact, I love how easy to remove the back cover is, as I tend to carry an extra battery and like to swap out SD cards with my digital camera.

Good phone, but too many things that scare me off... particularly #7 as a former Instink owner, and my brother owned the Fascinate.

riekls

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Several reasons keeping me from pulling the trigger on this phone in the first place, but one of them isn't the size (which I love).

1. Over-saturation on pictures is the biggie for me (difference when viewed on the phone vs. a computer monitor or uploaded somewhere like Facebook).
3. The over-heating issues I keep reading about.
5. No NFC.
6. New phones just around the corner, including some HD HTC phone, which I'd prefer.
7. It's a Samsung, and I've been burned before with an orphaned phone.

I do like the size, weight, and don't mind the plastic. In fact, I love how easy to remove the back cover is, as I tend to carry an extra battery and like to swap out SD cards with my digital camera.

Good phone, but too many things that scare me off... particularly #7 as a former Instink owner, and my brother owned the Fascinate.

Am I missing something? I thought the S2 had NFC ?

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Cubfan (I'm also a sad Cubs fan) I think you make some great points about the phone. I'd like to offer my thoughts on them, although certainly each one is very valid.

1. As for over-saturation, I feel like a lot of it can be cured by the "movie" mode in the display settings. I haven't noticed too much, but with the right set of circumstances could be a little off.
2. The phone has been out for about 12 days. I think it's something you will see soon, but obviously I can't confirm that.
3. I've only seen isolated instances of it noted here. Any phone will get hot if you are doing enough taxing activities. I found my old Photon getting hotter without running anything. The internal task manager does a great job of keeping background tasks from running constantly.
4. Tough for me to comment, its as good as my Photon in just about every scenario I use it in. If you get little coverage in certain areas, I wouldn't expect any phone to make a massive difference.
5. I haven't seen much NFC adoption in the US. This tech still seems a couple years away.
6. Can't argue. Although its gotten to the point that a new phone will always be around the corner. Tough to always holdout for the next thing.
7. I will say Samsung had some time to get this right considering how long the GS2 has been available worldwide. I dont expect much in the way of huge updates since the phone is pretty refined. This has been the most 'usable phone' out of the box without the need for a huge update (see Photon call issues).

You certainly can't go wrong with any of the crop of cell phones available. Just thought I'd shed some light on what seem to be some isolated and addressable issues.

EeZeEpEe

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site

1. There is an over saturation but you also have to take into account your own computer monitor and that Facebook resizes and compresses photos.
2. There is an official car dock. Don't know if it's preorder or shipping already.
4. It's as good as my EVO 4G was which was fine for me.

Phenom

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I believe I may return this phone. First, it is just slightly too big to use with one hand. Second, I really believe Sense is better (why can't i move from the last "panel" back to the first? ie, go from screen 6 directly to 1). Third, I really hate the delay when you remove the phone from your head for the the screen to light. Fourth, is it just me or does the speakerphone not loud at all. Am i wrong?

I may return and wait for the Evo Design 4g (stupid name) (yes i know its mid-range)

Regarding #2, what do you mean you can't move from the last "panel" directly to the first? Are you talking about the pages? If so, if you it hit the 1st circle, it will take you back to the first page. Or are you saying you don't like the animation of it scrolling thru the other pages?

EeZeEpEe

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Regarding #2, what do you mean you can't move from the last "panel" directly to the first? Are you talking about the pages? If so, if you it hit the 1st circle, it will take you back to the first page. Or are you saying you don't like the animation of it scrolling thru the other pages?

Nice. I knew you can scroll by dragging on the dots but I didn't realize you could just tap the dot for the page.

folarino

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Second, I really believe Sense is better (why can't i move from the last "panel" back to the first? ie, go from screen 6 directly to 1).

Tapping the dot of the page you want to go to is faster than scrolling through pages.
Speakerphone volume is fine to me. However, other than the odd call I put on speaker and some youtube videos I don't use it.

expertzero1

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I rooted mine and its better than stock :)!

phone isnt big at all, probably have small hands, speaker is fine, your on crack

Last edited:

johnkim575

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
This is an awesome phone. Don't like it? Return it/don't buy it. I thought the screen would be too big but I don't think I can go back to 4.3". It would be like going from 50" flat creen tv to 42".
Unless you're a chick with small hands, the bigger screen makes it a more pleasant experience when surfing the web and or videos. The phone fits nicely in my front pocket and because it's so thin and light I hardly know it's there. Coming from a former iPhone user.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyberus