Phone refuses to boot

Lucasmcl

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Im fairly tech savvy but not so much when it comes to flashing roms.

A while ago i flashed the official jellybean rom onto my sgs3 before it was available here in Australia and everything was great. A couple of days ago my phone randomly turned off and refused to boot. I flashed a couple of roms and managed to get it to boot again. I performed a factory reset and tried to flash jellybean again. Now it just gets stuck at the "Samsung Galaxy SIII GT-I9300" screen. I can access the download mode but I can't flash it with any rom. Odin gives me the message "Complete(Write) operation failed."

Here is a list of things I have tried:
Different usb cables
Differenet usb ports
Different computer
Older version of Odin
Flashing stock rom
Flashing recovery rom
Flashing jellybean rom
Flashing with and without pit files for all of the above flashes

I have done all this with kies uninstalled but the usb drivers installed. Running as admin and trying without.
I have also tried Recovery of firmware through Kies but kies doesn't recognize my phone.

It has been three days now that i haven't had a phone, im going a little crazy. Do I now have an expensive samsung branded paperweight?

Cheers in advance for any help.

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey... you have tried quite abit...
i have a similar problem. all of a sudden its stuck.

i have a samsung galaxy s3 which doesnt get past the first black and white screen which shows Samsung Galaxy S3, GT-I9300.

it can go in download mode.
....and shows the following:
....................................................................................
ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME:
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD:No
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom.

Downloading....
Do not turn off target !!

further still, it cannot go in recovery.

How can odin help me?

please help.

Regards,

Tom LL

flannk

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem. I was downloading TomTom West Europe map updates overnight. I woke up at about 6 am by the sound of a restarting Galaxy S3. After that restart the only thing my phone could do is function as a fancy electronic Galaxy S3 logo billboard. I can't even see the blueish flashing Samsung logo, recovery mode is not accessible and Download mode shows the same ODIN information as described in the post above mine.

UKDave

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I've got the same problem in the UK. I haven't rooted my phone or anything. I spoke to Samsung tech support today who say it is an issue they are hearing about and they've sent me to get it fixed at a Samsung Service Centre. They say that if I had managed to access the factory reset menu then it would probably be unrecoverable, but as I haven't done that they have a process for recovering the phone.... I'll update if they manage to fix it.

sean1993

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello Lucasmcl,

When you say you have tried flashing stock firmware, im assuming you mean through odin?

It sounds like your phone is "soft bricked" meaning it is stuck in a "bootloop". This basically means your phones kernel has crashed and your phone is unable to complete the boot process, so restarts this process over and over leaving you stuck at the start up screen or samsung logo.

Most phones have a software dedicated to fixing a soft brick, but the s3 is still a tad young to have a software of its own.

Usually however, flashing stock firmware through odin resolves this issue.

Im doing some research to see what else i can find.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Erin Jacob

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi Sean,
I did a bit of my own research into this thing last night and looks like what we need a PIT file from an international GS3. This shud be flashed along with the stock rom downloaded from sammobile. This is my udnerstanding of the issue. Although some users have reported that doing this doesn't fix it either and that ODIN reports, repartition failed. Anyways hoping to hear your take on this ASAP.

sean1993

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
An international pit wouldnt be compatable so i wouldnt take the risk. Ill look into it further asap. There will be a fix

Sent from SG3 RootUser

Erin Jacob

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Hey Sean,

Tried that but as expected, it failed before it could flash anything onto it. The pit error strikes before anything can be done.
<ID:0/007> Added!!
<ID:0/007> Odin v.3 engine (ID:7)..
<ID:0/007> File analysis..
<ID:0/007> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/007> Initialzation..
<ID:0/007> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/007>
<ID:0/007> There is no PIT partition.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Tried to flash this...... boot-stock-att-sgh-i747.tar

kenrags

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
hi,

I have a Galaxy S3 phone and upgraded to JB 4.1.1 a month back.
I was at work and after attending an incoming call I placed the phone on desk and saw it rebooting automatically.
Then, it went to the normal screen and to my surprise all was lost.
The icon customization, the widget placement, my contacts and messages and everything excluding the apps installed on SD card.
It was as If I was switching the phone on for the first time giving me tips to use the phone.
I then rebooted the phone as it was not displaying anything in gallery (pics, videos ..) and failed to detect the SD card.
On reboot it never complete the process and stuck on the boot logo nor it goes to recovery mode. Phone just restarts while entering the recovery mode. Does not even show the recovery screen.
then I tried to boot to the ODIN mode and this is what it says...

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME:
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: No
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom.

So, visited the Samsung service center and they say that I have rooted the mobile and denied repair.
Whereas I never ever tried rooting the phone. they do not want to believe me as see me at fault.
Can you please help.. the phone was perfectly fine when it has ICS.. I think the JB has some serious issues.. It even had charging issues.. The phone occasionally denies charging or picks up the charge late after connecting the charger....
Desperate need of help ..... :(

sean1993

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Usually to solve a bootloop which is what you are suffering from is easily resolved by flashing stock firmware back to phone through odin. Head on over to sammobile website and download the ics version you were running which matches your phone model number and install using odin. Should work.

Sent from SG3 RootUser

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
great post. on an int' s3, the above SHOULD work....
i wish u all luck :beer:

Unbranded international rooted s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:

gadgetmanNH

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Quote "Usually to solve a bootloop which is what you are suffering from is easily resolved by flashing stock firmware back to phone through odin. Head on over to sammobile website and download the ics version you were running which matches your phone model number and install using odin. Should work.

Sent from SG3 RootUser"

Not possible. Once you have the "no pit partition" issue, Odin will not flash anything. This is usually the result of a botched update to Jelly Bean (looks to be an issue with this international version). There is an "sd card boot" fix that Samsung will perform if you send it in, but they only offer to honor the warranty if you are the original owner. Even with a 2 year warranty and the phone being released less than a year, they still won't honor it unless you have the original receipt. Sad when it is a faulty phone.

NepRitesh

Jan 28, 2017
Visit site
Here's what i have tried these steps and worked for some time lastly but came to an end. S3(i9300) international
1. Hold powerbutton 1,2,3 rule.
2. Heated pcb (circuit board) with hair drier which is no more.
Running with rom - cynogen marshmallow.
But now nothing works anymore.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site