Question Auto Brightness Replaced by Outdoor Mode on Galaxy S9+.

nahom

Jul 5, 2023
Visit site
Auto Brightness Replaced by Outdoor Mode on Galaxy S9+. I don't know how it got replaced but the phone have been with me for the past 5+ years.

Recently, my screen display got dimmed and can't see anything. I went to repair shops and they all said the screen should be replaced. However, I found a trick when I increased the brightness level to the highest, it works despite the extreme brightness that is not comfy to my eyes. But I can get things done and is much better than replacing the screen which is costly.

One of the repair shops I visited, did a reset on the setting and since then I began to see the auto brightness replaced to outdoor mode which is turned off after 15 minutes, by default. Thus, my screen goes dark after 15 min of inactivity and is a bit hard to turn it back on as I can't see anything.

Any ideas how I can bring back my original setting with auto brightness on/off toggle? Please see the attached. Any idea would be much appreciated.

I found that this question was asked back in 2019 without any solution provided to my knowledge and search.

Last edited:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I recently factory reset my device and noticed several changes that were not there prior to the reset. It felt like the things had been changed but because of settings I was using or because they were installed with an update they just never emerged until everything was wiped and restarted. I would imagine this being like that especially if you're seeing that question from 4+ years ago. It was always there but only showed itself when it reset from the factory image. Anyway, there is likely no way to restore the former name. What did the threads from 2019 say? If there was an answer it would likely have been in there. If this is supposed to be something completely different though it could be a glitch that the other wasn't restored also. Honestly I've never heard of Outdoor Mode, but it sounds like what auto brightness does. You could try resetting again? Since you recently reset you probably wouldn't be loosing much more. I always hate FRs they take forever to recover from and there is always something I miss or forget about until I need it or until it doesn't work like it used to.

On a side note you should do everything you can to backup your device though now while you can still see the screen because while you can see things now it sounds like your screen is not long for this world and it would be a shame to loose everything because you can't see to save it or get into the phone. It might also be a good idea to set-up, I can't remember what it is called, I want to call it remote view but that isn't it. Anyway it something you can do that allow you to view the phone screen on a laptop or PC and use the mouse and keyboard to navigate. I can't tell you how many times people have written in here asking about this after its too late. You have to enable USB Debugging and do one or two other things. It works even when the screen is totally dead so that's something to consider. May even be worth doing it now to prolong the life of your screen. There is also casting if you have a smart TV that might help put less strain on it too. With that you still input on the device but you can view and see everything on a big screen and I imagine that would work even if the screen didn't because it depends more on the digitizer than the screen provided you can launch it without being able to see.

Best wishes. Consider upgrading or repairing. An S9+ screen can't be that expensive 4 almost 5 years down the road. You could try it yourself maybe. It's only hard the first time, after that you'll be making your own repairs.

nahom

Jul 5, 2023
Visit site
I recently factory reset my device and noticed several changes that were not there prior to the reset. It felt like the things had been changed but because of settings I was using or because they were installed with an update they just never emerged until everything was wiped and restarted. I would imagine this being like that especially if you're seeing that question from 4+ years ago. It was always there but only showed itself when it reset from the factory image. Anyway, there is likely no way to restore the former name. What did the threads from 2019 say? If there was an answer it would likely have been in there. If this is supposed to be something completely different though it could be a glitch that the other wasn't restored also. Honestly I've never heard of Outdoor Mode, but it sounds like what auto brightness does. You could try resetting again? Since you recently reset you probably wouldn't be loosing much more. I always hate FRs they take forever to recover from and there is always something I miss or forget about until I need it or until it doesn't work like it used to.

On a side note you should do everything you can to backup your device though now while you can still see the screen because while you can see things now it sounds like your screen is not long for this world and it would be a shame to loose everything because you can't see to save it or get into the phone. It might also be a good idea to set-up, I can't remember what it is called, I want to call it remote view but that isn't it. Anyway it something you can do that allow you to view the phone screen on a laptop or PC and use the mouse and keyboard to navigate. I can't tell you how many times people have written in here asking about this after its too late. You have to enable USB Debugging and do one or two other things. It works even when the screen is totally dead so that's something to consider. May even be worth doing it now to prolong the life of your screen. There is also casting if you have a smart TV that might help put less strain on it too. With that you still input on the device but you can view and see everything on a big screen and I imagine that would work even if the screen didn't because it depends more on the digitizer than the screen provided you can launch it without being able to see.

Best wishes. Consider upgrading or repairing. An S9+ screen can't be that expensive 4 almost 5 years down the road. You could try it yourself maybe. It's only hard the first time, after that you'll be making your own repairs.
Thank you VidJunky for your response. I love my s9+ so much that I don't want to upgrade, but its also a bit expensive for me, currently, to replace the screen. So I'm sticking to it until it dies! But yes, I have already backed up my data fully to my PC with DrFone's software.

And most of the time the screen is dark, like 10 our of 12 hours a day. In those cases, my only option is to use Samsung Dex app to connect my phone with my PC and view my screen from there. The only problem is, not all features are available as you would directly do it from the phone; it has lots of limitation as to what you can do with the screen viewer. For this reason, I bought a cheap USB-c / HDMI OTG to be able to view my phone screen on the PC but it never worked. I don't know why?

But I'm struggling to find a solution about it. Any tips would help further.
Thanks again!

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site