Photo quality degraded after edit

MrBungle999

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I tried to straighten a sunset photo I took and noticed that the post edit picture was degraded a great deal to the extent it was unusable as a wallpaper. Only edit I did was a slight straightening of image.

Am I missing a setting? Can someone try this?

I'm pretty sure this was not the case when I had the S4.

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

KevLar72

May 20, 2013
Visit site
It will degrade the quality to some degree, but how much depends on how radical the crop and the resolution of your sensor.

MrBungle999

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
It will degrade the quality to some degree, but how much depends on how radical the crop and the resolution of your sensor.

I understand this but this was hardly a crop, just a very minor tilt. Its as if it took the full resolution and converted it to mms.

Please try and tilt an image ever so slightly and save.

KevLar72

May 20, 2013
Visit site
What editor did you use ? Try cropping/editing the original picture again with Photobucket. I've never had a problem with them.

MrBungle999

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Using the built in editor it definitely compresses and resizes. My image went from 3mb to 237kb.

Yes I used stock editor as it is convenient to use right from gallery. It seems silly to have to use a 3rd party app for some tweaks. Anybody have any clue why it is compressing file or if I may be missing a setting somewhere.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that too with stock editor, looked for options in the settings but couldn't find any. I reported this in the picture thread last week. I wish it didn't do that but it does.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a fail stock image editor. That's too bad. I used to use a pretty cool free Gallery App called QuickPic. I never used its photo editing features, but it may have what you need, and you may like the gallery better than the stock LG gallery. It would be a win win!

MrBungle999

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like a fail stock image editor. That's too bad. I used to use a pretty cool free Gallery App called QuickPic. I never used its photo editing features, but it may have what you need, and you may like the gallery better than the stock LG gallery. It would be a win win!

It doesn't make sense that you can not edit photos at full resolution with the stock Photo editor on a phone with such a great camera.

kajok

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't make sense that you can not edit photos at full resolution with the stock Photo editor on a phone with such a great camera.

I have the same issue with my galaxy note 3 afrer using the photo editor to draw a line in a photo. Very irritating with the quality degradation.

RobotHeaven

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
The reason why your photo degrades after edit is because you're using jpeg files. If you don't want that to happen, convert them to png files before you make any edits. The file size of the png will be significantly larger because they are a lossless format. After you've made the edits, convert back to jpeg if you want smaller file sizes
This may help
http://digital-photography-school.c...to-save-your-photos-in-psd-tiff-jpeg-gif -png

Last edited:

MrBungle999

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
The reason why your photo degrades after edit is because you're using jpeg files. If you don't want that to happen, convert them to png files before you make any edits. The file size of the png will be significantly larger because they are a lossless format. After you've made the edits, convert back to jpeg if you want smaller file sizes
This may help
http://digital-photography-school.c...to-save-your-photos-in-psd-tiff-jpeg-gif -png

Your missing the point. A jpeg should not be compressed from 3gb to 245kb with one minor edit. I'm well aware of lossless files and jpegs.

Klotar

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking that compressing the pic on edit in preparation to send as MMS might be intentional. I do realize that this isn't what you want (so apologies to everyone in advance), but maybe the developers thought this was a feature...?! (i.e. take pic, crop and send kinda thing).

Does it overwrite your original when you edit, or at least rename it or increment the filename so that you can at least fall back on the original?

MrBungle999

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking that compressing the pic on edit in preparation to send as MMS might be intentional. I do realize that this isn't what you want (so apologies to everyone in advance), but maybe the developers thought this was a feature...?! (i.e. take pic, crop and send kinda thing).

Does it overwrite your original when you edit, or at least rename it or increment the filename so that you can at least fall back on the original?

Fortunately it does not overwrite the original. Converting for mms does make some sense.

T Lannister

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I have the same freakin' problem. I just did a simple vertical flip but that changed the resolution from 1920 to 800. So annoying to be forced to use 3rd party app for this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salpha