Picked one up today (Canada)!

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, man. Thought of another one for ya. How's the camera? And what do you think of the wrist-flick motion? Is it as tricky to get as some of the sites have said or is it just a matter of doing it once or twice?

The camera photo quality is fine, but IMHO doesn't compare to the iPhone 5. The camera itself if pretty basic - not many options available. They should have augmented it with more functionality for advanced users. The good thing is that the camera starts really quickly especially in conjunction with the wrist flick. And the wrist flick motion is really easy to do - it's just like turning a door knob three times.

SPD

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
The camera photo quality is fine, but IMHO doesn't compare to the iPhone 5. The camera itself if pretty basic - not many options available. They should have augmented it with more functionality for advanced users. The good thing is that the camera starts really quickly especially in conjunction with the wrist flick. And the wrist flick motion is really easy to do - it's just like turning a door knob three times.

Do you have any comparison to the HTC One camera? Not sure if you've used the HTC One before.

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Do you have any comparison to the HTC One camera? Not sure if you've used the HTC One before.

Yes, I used to have a Dev Edition HTC One. It was a great phone with awful ergonomics. Anyway, the HTC's camera runs rings around the Moto one (other than the raw MP count) - the photos were better, the camera had more features and it was a joy to use. I think however, if Moto updates the camera software, it could be as good as the HTC One/Galaxy S4.

Astrotrain00

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I used to have a Dev Edition HTC One. It was a great phone with awful ergonomics. Anyway, the HTC's camera runs rings around the Moto one (other than the raw MP count) - the photos were better, the camera had more features and it was a joy to use. I think however, if Moto updates the camera software, it could be as good as the HTC One/Galaxy S4.

I'm thinking about getting either the T-Mo HTC One or ATT Moto X. Would you mind expanding on why you thought the One had awful ergonomics? I couldn't put my finger on it, but I got the same feeling when I was using it in the store. I thought of all the dents/scratches it would get from being flipped on a desk or dropped. The button placement seems odd and unintuitive as well. I noticed a few other things, but just was wondering your opinion since you used it for some time.

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting either the T-Mo HTC One or ATT Moto X. Would you mind expanding on why you thought the One had awful ergonomics? I couldn't put my finger on it, but I got the same feeling when I was using it in the store. I thought of all the dents/scratches it would get from being flipped on a desk or dropped. The button placement seems odd and unintuitive as well. I noticed a few other things, but just was wondering your opinion since you used it for some time.

The power button placement on the HTC One bugged me to no end. Unlike the Galaxy S4, which has a physical Home button to turn the phone, the HTC One didn't and you were forced to use the power button to turn on the phone. And the power button wasn't really within reach - you had to move the phone in your hand to get to it and given the slippery nature of the metal, I was always concerned that I would drop it. I also found the volume buttons difficult to press - they were almost flush with the side and a pain to use. The phone was great to look at, but ergonomically, a pain to use.

The Moto X, however, is a pleasure to use. All the buttons are within reach one handed. And the Active Display means that, when you pick up the phone, it displays the time and allows you to unlock without using the power button. It's almost as good as the BB Z10 swipe up to unlock!

RobUM2011

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
After you make a couple calls, would you mind going into the Phone app and swiping over to the people/contacts tab? I just want to know if it automatically generates the "Frequently Called" list. It's really just a personal OCD thing, but I hate having my favorites AND the frequently called, so I end up clearing my "Frequently Called" list pretty often... haha

princesultan

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
i think this is my next phone. i just returned the Z10 to rogers. i loved its simplicity and intuitive swiping, but the ecosystem was lacking. i think the moto x has all that the z10 does and more.

i thought the z10 was a solid piece of hardware, what do you think about the moto x? i heard the buttons rattle a bit and kinda feel cheap. true?

p.s. how the heck does future shop have this phone for sale already? i was under the impression that it hasn't even launched yet!

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
After you make a couple calls, would you mind going into the Phone app and swiping over to the people/contacts tab? I just want to know if it automatically generates the "Frequently Called" list. It's really just a personal OCD thing, but I hate having my favorites AND the frequently called, so I end up clearing my "Frequently Called" list pretty often... haha

Yes, it automatically generates the "Frequently Called" list. :(

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
i thought the z10 was a solid piece of hardware, what do you think about the moto x? i heard the buttons rattle a bit and kinda feel cheap. true?

p.s. how the heck does future shop have this phone for sale already? i was under the impression that it hasn't even launched yet!

The buttons do not feel cheap nor do they rattle. The whole device feels like it was solidly made - feels better made than the Galaxy S4 (on par with the Nokia 920). I assume that someone got a defective or pre-production unit with some issues.

Rogers released a few phones within Canada prior to the official launch. In Victoria, Future Shop got two units - no one else has any Moto X's for sale here.

princesultan

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
The buttons do not feel cheap nor do they rattle. The whole device feels like it was solidly made - feels better made than the Galaxy S4 (on par with the Nokia 920). I assume that someone got a defective or pre-production unit with some issues.

Rogers released a few phones within Canada prior to the official launch. In Victoria, Future Shop got two units - no one else has any Moto X's for sale here.

cool, thanks!

rockets95

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried using Helium or any other backup app to restore app data? Helium doesn't work with older Motorola phones, curious if it works on the new ones.

Posted via Android Central App

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried using Helium or any other backup app to restore app data? Helium doesn't work with older Motorola phones, curious if it works on the new ones.

Posted via Android Central App

Haven't tried any backup app as yet. Helium seems to require a desktop component - will try it later on tonight and report.

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
The most important thing is you are happy with your purchase and the phone you have. Personally, I consider the Moto X mid-range and would take a Note 2 or Note 3 over it any day of the week however as stated this is your purchase and I hope it all works out and you enjoy the phone.

anon(4196132)

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Just chiming in that I picked up a Moto X too (also, interestingly, in Victoria BC).

I haven't had it long enough to have a detailed impression, but on the whole I really like the volume of the speaker, clarity of telephone calls (no issues hearing over sirens that were in the area), and the size of the phone. I think that I prefer the vibration motor of the Nexus 4 (I love the little pulse it had with every keyboard press), and would rather it was just a little heavier.

I absolutely adore the size of the device. Also, I thought I'd think it was just a stupid gimmick, but I already really like that the screen turns on to display if there are notifications when I take the phone out of my pocket. It's an amazing feature.

(For reference, in the past 1.5 years I've used a Blackberry 9900, Lumia 900, Galaxy Nexus [my daily driver for the past 8-9 months], and a Nexus 4.)

anon(4196132)

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Oh, and one small thing if you happen to be a Rogers customer that's upgrading: I did a device upgrade, which meant that the device was $189.99, but it came with a $50 mail in rebate, so actual cost of the phone (on upgrade!) will only be $139.99.

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Just chiming in that I picked up a Moto X too (also, interestingly, in Victoria BC).

Where did you pick up the X from? A Rogers Plus store? Or a reseller?

I think that I prefer the vibration motor of the Nexus 4 (I love the little pulse it had with every keyboard press), and would rather it was just a little heavier.
BTW, I find the vibration motor on the Moto X stronger than any other phone I've owned.

anon(4196132)

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Where did you pick up the X from? A Rogers Plus store? Or a reseller?

Got mine at a Rogers store on Quadra/Mackenzie

BTW, I find the vibration motor on the Moto X stronger than any other phone I've owned.

Compared to my Galaxy Nexus, I prefer the Moto X. But there's something about the Nexus 4 that puts it as (based on what I've used) best of class for the motor.

sejgiul

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
The most important thing is you are happy with your purchase and the phone you have. Personally, I consider the Moto X mid-range and would take a Note 2 or Note 3 over it any day of the week however as stated this is your purchase and I hope it all works out and you enjoy the phone.

I'm in the UK and would give my Note 2 and my left hand (I'm right handed) for a Moto X!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjeans