Pixel 2 xl screen flash

krusej23

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue after receiving my 2 Xl today. It wasn't doing it earlier and then I installed a couple more apps this afternoon and now it's doing it. Talked to Google Support and it doesn't do it in safe mode. He said since it doesn't do it in safe mode, it is a 3rd party app that is causing the issue. I know someone suggested Feedly earlier but I don't have that installed. I am going to narrow it down later tonight and I will respond.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
So, as I mentioned above, the white flash thing did not start for me until I tried installing Nova Launcher for testing. Before I even ran it the first time, the white flash started and continued even after I uninstalled Nova.

At his point, I no longer have the white flash. How did I do that? I'm not entirely certain.

I did re-install Nova and then uninstalled it from Settings -> Apps & notifications -> Nova Launcher -> Uninstall. Did that somehow do a better cleanup then my earlier uninstall (done by long-pressing the icon and dragging it up to Uninstall at top-right of the screen)?

At some point I also read that disabling Tap to Wake would help; I disabled and later re-enabled. Not sure if that had any particular effect.

All that I know for sure is that I am no longer getting the white flash. My best guess is that, in my case, it had to do with installing and then properly uninstalling Nova Launcher.

krusej23

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I would say make sure all of your apps are up to date and then restart into safe mode and make sure it doesn't happen there. Then reboot the device back to normal mode and that seemed to fix it for me. It has happened for me since 6:00pm yesterday.

krusej23

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Okay, my phone started doing this again this afternoon so I rebooted into safe mode and while it was rebooting, it started doing it every time the screen changed. It is also doing it still in safe mode. Talking to Google Support now.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
My phone just started doing this this morning. Ugh. Thinking about my next step now (RMA or return).

UPDATE: Seems to have stopped for now. Not sure why. Was doing it for about an hour earlier.

Also phone was working fine when I woke up. Hadn't installed anything new. Then when I was getting out of the car I turned off the phone (Google Maps was running) and then got the flash. Tested it a few times during my walk to the office and it was still flashing right before the active display came on. I rebooted the phone and it happened again after the reboot. Left my phone on the desk while in a meeting. Just tried it again about an hour later and it's not doing it anymore. No ideas.

Last edited:

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
It happens to me intermittently. Happens about once per day for about a half an hour and then stops. I think it has to do with the lighting in the room I'm in.

onedollarinmywallet

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
My approximately two week old Pixel 2 XL just started having this issue last night for the first time, and it's intermittent. I did notice that when I turned off Ambient Display (Settings/Display/Advanced/Ambient Display/Always ON set to OFF), that fixed it and I haven't seen the flash.

IMHO, I don't think it's a hardware/screen issue but rather a software issue. But it's puzzling why it only started happening two weeks later and why it's intermittent.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Bump

My 24 hour old p2xl just started to do this. Has there been any updates on what seems to be quite a common issue? i.e. hardware or software issue?

Was happy to finally find a 2xl with a good screen so would have to have to return it!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Bump

My 24 hour old p2xl just started to do this. Has there been any updates on what seems to be quite a common issue? i.e. hardware or software issue?

Was happy to finally find a 2xl with a good screen so would have to have to return it!

Mine starting doing it and I ended up calling Google. They made me try Safe mode and Factory reset but it didn't solve the problem though so they did an RMA for a new one. After the reset it started happening less frequently and ironically while I waited for the new one it stopped and didn't happen for about a week because I didn't set up the new one right away. I kept the new though because I didn't want to take any chances. Both phones had superb screens and I couldn't tell the difference side by side.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
First it was doing it when I turned the screen on, rebooted and it stopped but now it's doing it when I turn the screen off!

It does feel more likely to be a software issue but you never know I guess

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
It is intermittent.

A bit worrying that iut seems to have taken google months to even understand what is causing it.I just want to know if it is software or hardware and as the V30 seems to have the issue too I would not rule out hardware tbh.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Because of a dead fingerprint sensor, my replacement arrived two days ago. I just tested and don't see the flashing screen problem.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Yea... they emailed back. I already did the safe mode and it took about 2 hours or so, but it is back. They want me to FDR now.... I wonder if they can tell if I actually FDR or not... Probably.. google eyes see everything. #TinFoilHatSquad .... LOL

I don't want to FDR due to work software I have to reinstall. Blah!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yea... they emailed back. I already did the safe mode and it took about 2 hours or so, but it is back. They want me to FDR now.... I wonder if they can tell if I actually FDR or not... Probably.. google eyes see everything. #TinFoilHatSquad .... LOL

I don't want to FDR due to work software I have to reinstall. Blah!

I'm not sure but they might be able to see it because you have to sign in again to your account after FDR.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
They will most likely ask you to try it in safe mode and then a FDR prior to RMA.
Ironically while I waited for the replacement the problem went away for the most part.

I just received a RMA device yesterday. I sent back my old device with a bad speaker. I received the new device yesterday and today the screen is flashing Everytime I lock it or a new notification comes in while the screen is locked. I contacting Google support through chat on the device and they said someone would email me in 48-72 hours. They were not offering me another device as a replacement for this issue.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I just received a RMA device yesterday. I sent back my old device with a bad speaker. I received the new device yesterday and today the screen is flashing Everytime I lock it or a new notification comes in while the screen is locked. I contacting Google support through chat on the device and they said someone would email me in 48-72 hours. They were not offering me another device as a replacement for this issue.

You may have to pursue it further.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
You may have to pursue it further.

We'll see if they actually email me back first. The thing that bothers me is that I never experienced the issue with my old device. On the bright side, the screen on the replacement I received is much warmer with very little blue shift. The device I sent back had a build date of December 5th and the replacement was December 18th.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bongo