Pixel 7 pro on ATT 5G +

trido#AC

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have a pixel pro 7 on ATT 5g PLUS? just bought today no Plus network chatting with ATT now but appears Pixel cant do the faster Plus Network?
ATT great answer well call GOOGLE about it??? Great. and no thanks

Thanks

Last edited:

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
An unlocked P7P supports N260, N261, no problem.
As to whether or not ATT provisions it to use mmWave, well, that's another story.
Mine works fine on T-Mo mmWave (they use the less-market-y term UWB), where it's available, for example.

I left ATT after almost 20 years, for this very reason, as they slowly started to exclude most things, features (things like VVM), WiFi calling/texting, certain 5G connections, etc. For PURELY marketing reasons, not for technical ones.

Anyway, this is where your argument lies, not with the stock h/w or s/w...

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have a pixel pro 7 on ATT 5g PLUS? just bought today no Plus network chatting with ATT now but appears Pixel cant do the faster Plus Network?
ATT great answer well call GOOGLE about it??? Great. and no thanks

Thanks
Where are you trying to get the 5G+ signal?

Are you in a large city downtown area?

A major pro-sports arena?

A major international airport?

Those are the only places AT&T runs their mm-wave network because it has such a short range and is so weak it can be blocked by tree leaves.

Unless there's a transmitter on a pole outside your house, you won't get a + signal sitting at home. Even then, you might have to go out the front door to pick it up because the walls would block it.

Okay, it may not be that bad, but I'm not far off.

trido#AC

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Where are you trying to get the 5G+ signal?

Are you in a large city downtown area?

A major pro-sports arena?

A major international airport?

Those are the only places AT&T runs their mm-wave network because it has such a short range and is so weak it can be blocked by tree leaves.

Unless there's a transmitter on a pole outside your house, you won't get a + signal sitting at home. Even then, you might have to go out the front door to pick it up because the walls would block it.

Okay, it may not be that bad, but I'm not far off.
our area has att 5g+ all over city. i have s23 ultra and had iphone 14 pro on plus just fine.smallervcity southern in.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
our area has att 5g+ all over city. i have s23 ultra and had iphone 14 pro on plus just fine.smallervcity southern in.
Are you going by the AT&T coverage map? Yeah, my city shows it all over too. But that's not how it actually is.

trido#AC

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
  • AT&T 5G+ mid-band spectrum sits between our other two bands and provides a great combination of ultra-fast speeds and wide geographic coverage.
  • AT&T 5G+ using millimeter wave spectrum delivers super-fast speeds and unprecedented performances in high traffic areas including parts of more than 50 cities and more than 70 venues and airports.
i think what we have is att 5g + mid band and
not mm wave

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
  • AT&T 5G+ mid-band spectrum sits between our other two bands and provides a great combination of ultra-fast speeds and wide geographic coverage.
  • AT&T 5G+ using millimeter wave spectrum delivers super-fast speeds and unprecedented performances in high traffic areas including parts of more than 50 cities and more than 70 venues and airports.
i think what we have is att 5g + mid band and
not mm wave
Most likely. For ATT, that's N77, which is also in pretty much every P7P sold.
ATT is very weird about non-branded devices, except for iOS, and more recently, higher-end Samsung devices, they have a mixed-ROM implementation of some sort.
If you had an ATT branded P7, you'd "magically" be able to connect to all.

I can run on T-Mo on a completely unlocked (Google Store direct) P7P, and use any 5G bands they have available, not to mention pretty much any/all features that their branded (P7) device supports. It's a different model, for sure, and for awhile it was working well for ATT, but I think things are shifting these days.

There's nothing special about 5G+, it's just a marketing mechanism, like when they tried to do "4G+" with 2x2 LTE/4G, because they were so far behind in 5G deployment a couple of years ago...

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodawg71

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, technically 5G+ is faster since it is using the mid-band and mm-wave bands which both have better throughput than AT&T's regular low-band 5G which pretty much runs the same speed or worse than LTE. But, the low band does travel further and penetrate better.

And I forgot that AT&T includes the mid-band (n77) as 5G+ and does have greater overall coverage. Greater than mm-wave at least. I think mm-wave has a distance from the transmitter of about 100-200 feet

I will say that AT&T never used the term "4G+". What they did was call it "5G-E"

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Sure, but so is TMo's mid-band, which typically rates much faster (likely due to better infra/backhaul), in most places, but they're not calling it "T5G+", or something, eh? :D

Pretty much all the carriers have bandwidth in all 3, but ATT is the only one (that I'm aware of) that "markets it as if it's a different technology of some sort", it's just weird, and smarmy, but maybe that's just me (I'm a s/w and h/w engineering type, marketing is generally my nemesis, to some degree :oops:;))

You're right, it was "5GE", good catch. I do recall someone getting after them for then, not sure if it was a govt agency for false advertising or similar, or a competitor...

I see 800 and 900 (Mbps) duplex in some places now with mid-band TMo, which seems like a ridiculous amount of data for a phone, for almost any use. mmWave was mostly a gimmick, perhaps useful for some really high-density stuff, but with it's (reportedly) terrible penetration of most walls and such, just how many Femtocells or similar are you going to need, say in a 500 room hotel, hmm...
VZW sort of hosed themselves on mmWave, IMHO, thinking they'd roll out a few cities, and market say 2Gbps speeds, in a few city blocks or something, and somehow sell 5G phones and the whole deal, even though 99.x% of their customers had zero way to access their rollout, for a LONG time.

Last edited:

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
You're right, it was "5GE", good catch. I do recall someone getting after them for then, not sure if it was a govt agency for false advertising or similar, or a competitor...

There was a lawsuit from Sprint over the use of that "5G-E" logo. That was settled such that AT&T could keep using it. But, T-Mobile challenged the marketing gimmick to the National Advertising Review Board. The NARB recommended AT&T stop using it. While AT&T disagreed with the recommendation, they did decide to comply. They did stop actively advertising "5G-Evolustion" as a feature of their service. But they did not stop using the logo on the phone's network status or in their product specs on-line. Because that's outside the purview of "advertising".

So they directly lie to the customers they already have.

;)

Reactions: PGrey and J Dubbs