Pixel XL Auxiliary Audio Issues

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
guess I'll try the Y adapter but I'm not really sure I understand what this will tell me

Well, if you're listening to all things fine and dandy on your headphones, and then plugging in to your Sony then brings all that nastiness to your cup covered ears, your Sony is effing with your phone... time for either a new head unit or new phone.

But if the headphones sound fine and the crap is only coming out of the Sony, then something is happening to the audio on its way to the Sony and there still might be something you can do about it.

Capice?

michael33r

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Well, if you're listening to all things fine and dandy on your headphones, and then plugging in to your Sony then brings all that nastiness to your cup covered ears, your Sony is effing with your phone... time for either a new head unit or new phone.

But if the headphones sound fine and the crap is only coming out of the Sony, then something is happening to the audio on its way to the Sony and there still might be something you can do about it.

Capice?
Oh ok. Well I'll get one of those and see what happens then.

michael33r

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site

Capice?
When I have both the headphones and the stereo plugged into the phone the sound is completely normal. When I unplug the headphones it sounds like crap.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
OK... you can probably fix this then, but it may take a little experimentation. Who knows what the Pixel was designed to see, or how poorly the input section of the Sony was designed. I am assuming your headphones are a low impedance design.

Try a resistor inline with the signal ground. Cut into the sheath of an aux cable at the load end, and cut the wire running to the sleeve of the 3.5mm plug (this will probably be the shield). Reconnect the cut conductor with the resistor inline.

As for the resistor, something in the 10 ohm range will probably do it. Hard to know the minimum wattage without the input impedance of the input, but I would think a 3 watt resistor would be plenty.

michael33r

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
OK... you can probably fix this then, but it may take a little experimentation. Who knows what the Pixel was designed to see, or how poorly the input section of the Sony was designed. I am assuming your headphones are a low impedance design.

Try a resistor inline with the signal ground. Cut into the sheath of an aux cable at the load end, and cut the wire running to the sleeve of the 3.5mm plug (this will probably be the shield). Reconnect the cut conductor with the resistor inline.

As for the resistor, something in the 10 ohm range will probably do it. Hard to know the minimum wattage without the input impedance of the input, but I would think a 3 watt resistor would be plenty.
Alright so I've never done that before but would be happy to try it. Where do I buy a resistor?

Rocky5000100

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
My Pixel XL has way more static while playing audio on my car stereo while using the 3.5mm jack than my Note 4 did. I just ordered one of the shielded cables mentioned above, and will report back.

My issue is most noticable when listening to audiobooks. Every words spoken is preceded by static, and end with static. It happened with my Note 4, but only when plugged in to my car charger. My Pixel XL wasn't plugged into the charger when experiencing this.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
It happened with my Note 4, but only when plugged in to my car charger

This is the norm due to a ground loop formed by the additional ground point introduced by the charger. It is easily rectified by installing one of these and charging your phone from it... DAQstuff 400116 5 Volt Switching Power Supply

But the Pixel seems to have some odd ground potential on its own which is very odd. Hopefully michael33r will report back and let us know whether shunting the signal ground with a resistor addresses the problem.

michael33r

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
This is the norm due to a ground loop formed by the additional ground point introduced by the charger. It is easily rectified by installing one of these and charging your phone from it... DAQstuff 400116 5 Volt Switching Power Supply

But the Pixel seems to have some odd ground potential on its own which is very odd. Hopefully michael33r will report back and let us know whether shunting the signal ground with a resistor addresses the problem.
But he said his Pixel XL wasn't plugged in when it happened.

Rocky5000100

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
My Pixel XL has way more static while playing audio on my car stereo while using the 3.5mm jack than my Note 4 did. I just ordered one of the shielded cables mentioned above, and will report back.

My issue is most noticable when listening to audiobooks. Every words spoken is preceded by static, and end with static. It happened with my Note 4, but only when plugged in to my car charger. My Pixel XL wasn't plugged into the charger when experiencing this.

Alright, shielded cables arrived yesterday, and the issue is mostly fixed! I'd say about 90% of any static while listening to audiobooks is gone. I'm content with just these shielded cables for now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5530380

michael33r

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site

Ok so I put the resistor on the white wire. There was also a red wire and a lot of open copper wire directly under the outside sheath. The static is gone but I'm only hearing out of the left speakers. I didn't do the greatest job getting the resistor installed.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
The "open copper wire" is the 'shield'.

Try a resistor inline with the signal ground. Cut into the sheath of an aux cable at the load end, and cut the wire running to the sleeve of the 3.5mm plug (this will probably be the shield).

Use your ohm meter if in doubt.

michael33r

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Because you didn't put the bloody resistor on the shield (which I have now told you to do twice)!

I'm done here.
You said to put the resistor on the signal ground. How am I supposed to know that the signal ground is the copper on the outside of the two wires? Now that I know that it makes complete sense why the right side audio is gone. I'm a noob so you can't expect me to know everything. I was pretty sure you were British. That's why it's so hard to understand what you're saying...

michael33r

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Any updates? I am having similar issue.
I've just been using the splitter with headphones plugged into one side. I'm not sure why that gets rid of the static but it was the cheapest simplest fix so I left it like that. Eventually I'll get a different head unit probably.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRepairGuy