play music crashing?

BroncoTed

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Man, would I love to try the new services, but music keeps crashing (actually on my nexus 7) as well.

What gives? Anyone else having difficulties?

jneno

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem on my Droid X2. I ended up uninstalling it and re-installing, and now I can launch it without it crashing.

It is really sluggish, though. It is heating up my phone and it took several hours to 'find' music that I had purchased earlier this morning. I will give it another day or so of trial but I'll probably try to revert back to the old version and cancel my All Music subscription.

jcddcjjcd

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Same problem here on SGS3.
The app does send reports back to Google after crashing so hopeully they can fix it soon.
Regards,
John.

BroncoTed

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Update:
I uninstalled the updates, reinstalled, and it works..... And it works amazing.

I really enjoyed using the service during my workout this morning, and think this will permanently replace Pandora.
Using my own music intermingled with the newest/most appropriate songs/genres out was an unbelievable joy.

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Same annoying problem here. App worked fine until I updated it yesterday. I even signed up for All Access via the web and was all excited to stream from my phone. NOPE. Keeps crashing and makes the phone sluggish. I tried to remedy it by uninstalling the update and re-installing it, disabling the app and re-enabling it and nothing. Still doesn't work. I hope they fix this or I'm definitely canceling my trial subscription and sticking with Spotify Premium.

*NOTE* I'm on the Samsung Galaxy S4 with AT&T. My colleague's app seems to work fine after the update. He has the same phone, but is with Sprint. So this could be an app issue or carrier specific app issue.

molo2000

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
The App was crashing on my Nexus 4 even after removing the updates and then reinstalling several times. It is working now though. After Removing updates-Removing the Widget control from my home screen-> Disabling the app-> clearing the app data and cache-> rebooting the phone -> opening the play store then enabling and updating the app it finally updated without crashing. Not sure how much mileage that will gain you though.

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
The App was crashing on my Nexus 4 even after removing the updates and then reinstalling several times. It is working now though. After Removing updates-Removing the Widget control from my home screen-> Disabling the app-> clearing the app data and cache-> rebooting the phone -> opening the play store then enabling and updating the app it finally updated without crashing. Not sure how much mileage that will gain you though.

Geesh....mine worked for a quick second too, but I kept getting that "not responding" message even when I didn't have the app open. I'm not 100% sure, but I think I did everything that you just mentioned. I'm desperate so I'll give it another shot. Maybe it's conflicting with my Spotify app? lol

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Man, would I love to try the new services, but music keeps crashing (actually on my nexus 7) as well.

What gives? Anyone else having difficulties?

Hey....just checking in. Any updates? Is it still not working for you?

- - - Updated - - -

I had the same problem on my Droid X2. I ended up uninstalling it and re-installing, and now I can launch it without it crashing.

It is really sluggish, though. It is heating up my phone and it took several hours to 'find' music that I had purchased earlier this morning. I will give it another day or so of trial but I'll probably try to revert back to the old version and cancel my All Music subscription.

Any updates on your end? Is it working yet?

DavidsInnerGeek

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I have seen the same issues with the new Play Music app on my HTC Vivid. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app several times, clearing the cache, nothing works.
The app DOES WORK on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, but the Vivid is my primary music device (and is always with me, which the tablet is not.)

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I started having this problem today and spent most of the day troubleshooting it. Constant crashing after about 15-30 seconds of opening the app.

I think I finally isolated it to some old m3u playlist files that may have either been too big or had references to missing files? I don't know. But there were some playlist events close to the final app crash in the event logs in the crash report. The final crash in my case was caused by "too many terms in compound SELECT statement" followed by a two screenful long select statement.

rp.1971

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem when upgrading to Play Music 5.0.something; what I did to overcome the FC's:
1. Clean cache Download Manager
2. Clean cache Play Music
3. Clean cache Media Storage
4. Reboot

Now this does mean that you have to set your ringtone/notifications all over again but it worked for me. Some say that removing all your local music also helps but I can't confirm that since my earlier steps did the trick.

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem when upgrading to Play Music 5.0.something; what I did to overcome the FC's:
1. Clean cache Download Manager
2. Clean cache Play Music
3. Clean cache Media Storage
4. Reboot

Now this does mean that you have to set your ringtone/notifications all over again but it worked for me. Some say that removing all your local music also helps but I can't confirm that since my earlier steps did the trick.

When you say local music, I'm assuming that applies to the songs that I synced to my sd card via doubletwist? Technically, I have access to the same library twice on my phone since I've always used google play music manager to sync my iTunes library (same library synced by doubletwist)

rp.1971

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
When you say local music, I'm assuming that applies to the songs that I synced to my sd card via doubletwist? Technically, I have access to the same library twice on my phone since I've always used google play music manager to sync my iTunes library (same library synced by doubletwist)

With local music I mean the music which is actually on the device. Since I am not familiar with DoubleTwist, I can't answer your question to the fullest but I'd guess it's worth to give it a try (deleting the local music) since you have the "main" music collection on your computer (if I understood it correctly)

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
With local music I mean the music which is actually on the device. Since I am not familiar with DoubleTwist, I can't answer your question to the fullest but I'd guess it's worth to give it a try (deleting the local music) since you have the "main" music collection on your computer (if I understood it correctly)

Gotcha! I sure hope it works man. It took forever to airsync my songs :/

Mel Cove

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I am sooooooo aggravated by the constant crashing on my Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but of course that doesn't help. So many people have had problems with crashing that I can't help but wonder how long it's going to be like this. I finally just uninstalled and went back to Spotify which still runs like a charm.

The app constantly running even when I wasn't starting it was draining my battery to the point where the battery indicator hardly moved despite several hours of charging.

I love Google's products but this one is just .... argh!!!!

Has anyone heard whether they're going to fix the problems any time soon? I've got about 3 weeks left on my Spotify sub and would rather just use All Access, but if I can't play anything there's no point.

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I am sooooooo aggravated by the constant crashing on my Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but of course that doesn't help. So many people have had problems with crashing that I can't help but wonder how long it's going to be like this. I finally just uninstalled and went back to Spotify which still runs like a charm.

The app constantly running even when I wasn't starting it was draining my battery to the point where the battery indicator hardly moved despite several hours of charging.

I love Google's products but this one is just .... argh!!!!

Has anyone heard whether they're going to fix the problems any time soon? I've got about 3 weeks left on my Spotify sub and would rather just use All Access, but if I can't play anything there's no point.

Do you have local music installed your device? I'm thinking of doing what rp1971 mentioned (see above) so was just curious about your status on local songs.

Mel Cove

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I had 4 songs and tried RP's steps with and without those 4 songs in the device, but same results both ways. Still constant hanging and then crashing.

Interestingly, the app was fine when I first started using it. The more playlists I added, the slower the app became, but I don't know if that's due to the number of playlists or some other factor.

I sent 4 crash logs to Google's support. If they come up with a miracle solution I'll let yas know, but I'm pessimistic at this point. lol

edit: I signed up for a second All Access account (have to remember to cancel this one!) and the app was very responsive compared to my other account that has a lot of playlists. However, the app still crashed a few times when I was trying to create playlists from albums using the new account.

Last edited:

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I had 4 songs and tried RP's steps with and without those 4 songs in the device, but same results both ways. Still constant hanging and then crashing.

Interestingly, the app was fine when I first started using it. The more playlists I added, the slower the app became, but I don't know if that's due to the number of playlists or some other factor.

I sent 4 crash logs to Google's support. If they come up with a miracle solution I'll let yas know, but I'm pessimistic at this point. lol

edit: I signed up for a second All Access account (have to remember to cancel this one!) and the app was very responsive compared to my other account that has a lot of playlists. However, the app still crashed a few times when I was trying to create playlists from albums using the new account.

I formatted my micro sd card and now everything works fine. There seems to be a bug in regards to having local music on your device/micro sd slot.

Mel Cove

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Glad it worked out for you. Unfortunately it didn't work for me. I even tried with the SD card removed to guarantee there was nothign on it. :/ At least I still have Spotify! lol

Out of curiosity, how many playlists do you have set up in All Access?

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Glad it worked out for you. Unfortunately it didn't work for me. I even tried with the SD card removed to guarantee there was nothign on it. :/ At least I still have Spotify! lol

Out of curiosity, how many playlists do you have set up in All Access?

I have four (for now). How many did you have?

In Spotify, I probably have over 300+ playlists and yes, it works seamlessly.