play music crashing?

reefrunway

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem when upgrading to Play Music 5.0.something; what I did to overcome the FC's:
1. Clean cache Download Manager
2. Clean cache Play Music
3. Clean cache Media Storage
4. Reboot

Now this does mean that you have to set your ringtone/notifications all over again but it worked for me. Some say that removing all your local music also helps but I can't confirm that since my earlier steps did the trick.

DUDE, YOU ROCK!
This totally worked! I am so stoked. I have another thread devoted to this:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...ion-google-play-music-constantly-crashes.html

And nothing worked!
But your solution did.
Thanks so much!

Mel Cove

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I have four (for now). How many did you have?

In Spotify, I probably have over 300+ playlists and yes, it works seamlessly.

Probably around 225-250 currently in Google's service. I have 289 playlists in Spotify and that app works great on my old Android (same one I tried using for Google's app), but the more playlists I added in All Access, the slower it became. I only had about 7 or so playlists in Google Music before All Access, and the app was smooth as silk back then, and it was fairly smooth at first after app was updated.

The Google support person replied to my submitted logs and said they'd be forwarded to the team, but idk if any fixes will actually happen.

I'd rather just have an all-text app without the app trying to always download the album art. It seems to not cache the images... meaning, if I look at my long playlist list in the All Access app, it slowly loads the images. If I scroll in either direction, those new playlist images are loaded. Then if I scroll to the previous position, it looks like it's slowly re-fetching the same images it was previously displaying. I'd rather just have text. I don't need the album art. I'm on a wi-fi connection using Fios, so it's not likely a network issue.

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
DUDE, YOU ROCK!
http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...ion-google-play-music-constantly-crashes.html

And nothing worked!
But your solution did.
Thanks so much!

Nice! Even though I got it to work by formatting my SD card, I'm still curious with this option. Where do I go to clean cache download manager, clean cache play music and clean cache media storage? Sorry....droid newbie here. Former apple user :)

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Probably around 225-250 currently in Google's service. I have 289 playlists in Spotify and that app works great on my old Android (same one I tried using for Google's app), but the more playlists I added in All Access, the slower it became. I only had about 7 or so playlists in Google Music before All Access, and the app was smooth as silk back then, and it was fairly smooth at first after app was updated.

The Google support person replied to my submitted logs and said they'd be forwarded to the team, but idk if any fixes will actually happen.

I'd rather just have an all-text app without the app trying to always download the album art. It seems to not cache the images... meaning, if I look at my long playlist list in the All Access app, it slowly loads the images. If I scroll in either direction, those new playlist images are loaded. Then if I scroll to the previous position, it looks like it's slowly re-fetching the same images it was previously displaying. I'd rather just have text. I don't need the album art. I'm on a wi-fi connection using Fios, so it's not likely a network issue.

The 225-250 playlists in your google service, is that pure ALL ACCESS playlists or does that include your playlists that the music manager uploaded?

reefrunway

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Nice! Even though I got it to work by formatting my SD card, I'm still curious with this option. Where do I go to clean cache download manager, clean cache play music and clean cache media storage? Sorry....droid newbie here. Former apple user :)

System - - > Apps
Each of those is technically an "app"

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

rp.1971

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
DUDE, YOU ROCK!

And nothing worked!
But your solution did.
Thanks so much!

Glad that my posting helped you out, reefrunway :)
As for the formatting the SD Card mentioned by other users: well since my Nexus4 doesn't have the option to add extra storage, I didn't tried that but hey, if it works for others: go for it!

Mel Cove

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
The 225-250 playlists in your google service, is that pure ALL ACCESS playlists or does that include your playlists that the music manager uploaded?

I could never figure out how to upload playlists. I had a few playlists that I created in the web app before All Access, but almost all playlists were ones I created within the web app after All Access service began. Yes, I spent way too much time creating those playlists. lol (especially considering I had to stop using the service)

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I could never figure out how to upload playlists. I had a few playlists that I created in the web app before All Access, but almost all playlists were ones I created within the web app after All Access service began. Yes, I spent way too much time creating those playlists. lol (especially considering I had to stop using the service)

In regards to the playlists that you created on the web through google play, where are you trying to "upload" them?

Mel Cove

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
In regards to the playlists that you created on the web through google play, where are you trying to "upload" them?

I was trying to upload them using Google's music manager program on my PC (windows 7). Drag and drop of m3u files into the folder being watched by the music manager executable didn't result in those playlists being synched to my Google Music account. I gave up and just started creating playlists using the web interface. I never bothered to see if Google's service could read m3u files as it wasn't that important to me.

HotCheese

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I use iSyncr to put music on my phone. I deleted the folder it created on my phone and instantly the crashing stopped. If you use it, try deleting its folder on your phone.

Mel Cove

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
thx, but some time last week I did a factory reset and installed nothing but the new play store and the new Google Music app but still had the same problems. If they fix things eventually, that's great, but I do have other options... that's all that counts. :)

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
DUDE, YOU ROCK!

And nothing worked!
But your solution did.
Thanks so much!

I updated to the update that was released today. Then I get that message again!! :( I decided to try the steps that rp.1971 mentioned and so far, no problems anymore. (crossing fingers)

I did notice that google never mentioned if they fixed anything with this update.....strange.

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem when upgrading to Play Music 5.0.something; what I did to overcome the FC's:
1. Clean cache Download Manager
2. Clean cache Play Music
3. Clean cache Media Storage
4. Reboot

Now this does mean that you have to set your ringtone/notifications all over again but it worked for me. Some say that removing all your local music also helps but I can't confirm that since my earlier steps did the trick.

So my app has been working fine. Then I decided to update to the version that was released today. After updating, I started to see that crash message again. Saw it twice. I proceeded to the steps that you mentioned above and it seems to have fixed it. So for that...thank you! Hopefully this doesn't continue to be an issue.

Quick question. In regards to cleaning the cache for Download Manager, I have two "Downloads" showing in Application Manager. One with the android symbol and the other one has the arrow. I cleared both. Hopefully that won't cause an issue? In regards to your comment "clean cache Play Music", I'm assuming you meant Google Play music (so i cleared that too). I cleared Media Storage as well (which shows the android system symbol)

BTW, did you update to today's release (05/21)? If so, any issues?

rp.1971

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
So my app has been working fine. Then I decided to update to the version that was released today. After updating, I started to see that crash message again. Saw it twice. I proceeded to the steps that you mentioned above and it seems to have fixed it. So for that...thank you! Hopefully this doesn't continue to be an issue.

Quick question. In regards to cleaning the cache for Download Manager, I have two "Downloads" showing in Application Manager. One with the android symbol and the other one has the arrow. I cleared both. Hopefully that won't cause an issue? In regards to your comment "clean cache Play Music", I'm assuming you meant Google Play music (so i cleared that too). I cleared Media Storage as well (which shows the android system symbol)

BTW, did you update to today's release (05/21)? If so, any issues?

To your questions:
* The Download Manager is the one to go for (so without the arrow sign) but cleaning the other one (with the arrow sign) doesn't hurt since that only contains a list of the things you've downloaded to you device (it's like the download history in any kind of internet browser).
* Yes, I did meant the (Google) Play Music. Clearing Media storage is also to be cleared.

I did the upgrade to the latest Play Music and I didn't faced any issue; I have to admit that I haven't synced any music to my device locally (I'm streaming music from the Play Music cloud).

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
To your questions:
* The Download Manager is the one to go for (so without the arrow sign) but cleaning the other one (with the arrow sign) doesn't hurt since that only contains a list of the things you've downloaded to you device (it's like the download history in any kind of internet browser).
* Yes, I did meant the (Google) Play Music. Clearing Media storage is also to be cleared.

I did the upgrade to the latest Play Music and I didn't faced any issue; I have to admit that I haven't synced any music to my device locally (I'm streaming music from the Play Music cloud).

I referred back to your original solutions with clearing all the cache stuff and it seems to have fixed it. Apparently there's another update today (05/22). I guess they're getting crazy feedback!