Playing back video over cifs on Touchpad

djrobsd

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I have a Wireless-N 5GHZ network at home, works flawlessly with pretty much everything streaming on my network, except when trying to stream video on the DroidPad (LOL). I am using CifsManager to mount a share on my NAS, and then playing the videos back in MoBoPlayer. The videos are .m4v files encoded with HandBrake. If I copy the video over to the device directly, it seems to play just fine, but streaming over the network it kind of skips or stutters.

I'm wondering if there are some wi-fi performance issues coming into play here, maybe they haven't quite fully developed the wi-fi on the Cyanogenmod yet?

However, I would assume if I could stream a 720p youtube just fine, then I should be able to stream these videos, they are 720x480 with a 24fps frame rate. Streaming rate in VLC shows around 1400-1900kbps.

Has anyone else tried streaming videos to their Cyanogenmod touchpad over CIFS? Should I try something else besides CifsManager and MoboPlayer? Is there anything I can tweek or do to make it work better?

Netflix plays back just fine as does Youtube. :)

cybercaptain

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
samba/cifs.ko was never designed to stream video. Try increasing the buffer size though, it might help but will use more memory on your touchpad. If instead you want to try and set up a DLNA/UPnP server on you NAS SoftMedia Player from the android market is free and works well, but if that doesn't work just search dlna in the market something will come up.