Please buy the PRIV

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
So don't use the damn physical keyboard. Leave it closed and the phone will be like any other smartphone.

Posted via the Android Central App
Its presence causes unnecessary bulk for a user who will not want it.

If the device had the same form factor as the Z30 but ran Android, then I'd consider it.

Sent from my Moto X Pure Edition using Tapatalk

constable

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I was a LOYAL blackberry user. Had 2 versions of the Bold and a Torch 9810. Each one of them different catastrophic hardware failures... Sorry... I can't do it.

guygardner73

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I was a LOYAL blackberry user. Had 2 versions of the Bold and a Torch 9810. Each one of them different catastrophic hardware failures... Sorry... I can't do it.

Your post doesn't mean anything. It's like me saying I had a Samsung back in 2005 and it sucked so I'll never buy one again. Also, those were great phones at the time and hardware failures were not common. It should also be noted that those were built by BlackBerry and now Foxconn handles BlackBerry manufacture. They are one of the companies that Apple uses to build iphones.

cgk

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
UK pre-order on their own site is very slow - about 4 an hour - there are currently 364 left to preorder (out of an estimated 500).

Hendri Hendri

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
Your post doesn't mean anything. It's like me saying I had a Samsung back in 2005 and it sucked so I'll never buy one again. Also, those were great phones at the time and hardware failures were not common. It should also be noted that those were built by BlackBerry and now Foxconn handles BlackBerry manufacture. They are one of the companies that Apple uses to build iphones.

I remember once in crackbeŕry forum, people are arguing how iphone has violated human right since they produce their phone with foxconn manufacture, and now blackberry seems like following apple trail hehehe. Good old days

jpoulin587

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
sorry i cant help but giggle at some of you poo-poing the physical keyboard swearing you'll never use it.
you're still human with hands arent you? tactile sensation is a beeyotch unfortunately, we havent evolved past that. get your fingers to graze the physical kb and you'll be like an alcoholic in a liquor store. you hate yourself but youre still hooked lol!

~ yours truly, a Droid-to-Berry user. <3

I'm a long time BlackBerry guy who left for Android. The Moto X (2014) is my daily driver with and Zenpad S8 as my playtime tablet.

While I have learned to use a touch keyboard, I have never liked them. (Though the in on my old Z10 was pretty good).

I am constantly touching "n" or "b" when I'm aiming for the spacebar. Most of the time the Google keyboard fixes it for me, sometimes it's doesn't.

When I had my BlackBerry Torch, I turned off all the text prediction and autocorrect and I typed every letter myself. I could feel the spacebar and so without looking I could tell the difference. I was fast and efficient when typing. Most of all it was COMFORTABLE!!! I could write long emails in an airport, or anywhere with out getting stressed about the dang autocorrect making me look stupid.

A slider physical keyboard also has the advantage of not taking any of the screen real estate. I like that a lot too. :)

Anyway, to each his own, but I am going to get the Priv as soon as I can.

constable

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

Sure it does. Various phones. Various processors. Various components in each. Each of them died a different and painful death.

If someone has a Taurus, mustang and Explorer all die or cause them copious amounts of grief would they be faulted for not getting another??

guygardner73

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Sure it does. Various phones. Various processors. Various components in each. Each of them died a different and painful death.

If someone has a Taurus, mustang and Explorer all die or cause them copious amounts of grief would they be faulted for not getting another??

Maybe not, but I'm willing to give the Priv a go despite every Android i've ever had lagging like a lame donkey 6 months in. Generally, BlackBerry hardware is extremely good, I'm currently using a Passport for work as it's private, secure and has a stainless steel frame. 12 months in and loaded with both bb10 and Android apps with no perceptible lag at all. My 9900 never caused me any problems beyond those inherent to using BIS, my Z30 is still as buttery smooth as the day I bought it and the torch 9800 is still going strong in the hands of the person I sold it to 5 years later. Compared to my two Z1's both with the jittery screen problem and two battered and useless SGS3's (one with a dodgy usb connection) i'd take a BlackBerry designed phone any day of the week. Even when I get the Priv, (which I'm excited and curious about) it will not be trusted as my work phone until it has proven itself. All handsets have drawbacks, I remember when I got my Passport, there was someone bringing an iPhone back to the store. When the guy asked what was wrong with it, the customer said "it exploded". I nearly choked. But guess what? They ordered a replacement iphone. To each his own, but in my opinion the Priv will be one of the better Androids. Anyway, we'll wait and see.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Am interested for sure. Do not need the slider nor the curved display & would be cool if there were a version a few dollars cheaper w/o those two items.
But more importantly for me is if there is any sort of case that can work with this phone? I work outdoors(sometimes in the rain) & usually keep a phone in a holster style case. Which being a slider, not thinking there is going to be a variant for this.

Edit: Adding link for cases. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...700/sort.displayName+ascending&token=3oAaELAk

Last edited:

macolliejr

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
I did some exploring on the US BlackBerry site and followed the preorder links. If you do the same you will eventually come to an accessories page. There's not a ton of options but there are hard covers, Samsung S-View esque wallet covers and the classic BlackBerry staple leather sleeves. All available for the priv. However if it is waterproof style covers you are after I did not see anything like that.

I also did a customer service chat on AT&T and asked about preorder and availability for the device itself. They wouldn't tell me much but did say it would be available Nov. 20th

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Its presence causes unnecessary bulk for a user who will not want it.

If the device had the same form factor as the Z30 but ran Android, then I'd consider it.

Sent from my Moto X Pure Edition using Tapatalk

Here's the kicker....BlackBerry may just release a Z30 style Android device if Priv sells well. They aren't giving up on BB10. BB10 isn't just about handsets, BB10 is the basis for their entire software portfolio. If people don't want an Android phone, there will be BB10 variants on the way as well.

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Erm... yes.

See how that argument works.

Seriously. BB10 is not dead and Priv is not the only Android Phone BlackBerry will bring out. I'd suggest stop listening to the Crackberry forums. Those guys don't have a clue.

minhlvuvn

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Troll post for real. On the other hand, my Nexus 7 '13 still operates smoother than melt butter while my girl's iP5s now clunkier than a rusty truck.

freedomx20a

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
after speaking with some hardcore droid fans and getting more info on the priv and seeing that new video. Feeling confident that berry will stay in handsets for at least one more year. So Priv shouldn't be the last phone. It could be the 2nd last but not the last. go go priv!

Bob31464

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I have the Passport and I love it but I hate the lack of apps. Been thinking about a Note 5 but your comment about the weak antenna scares me. My wife had the Note 2 and her signal inside was aweful.

My wife has the Note 4 and I have the Note 5 and neither of us have a problem signal strength, both phones work great. I highly recommend it.

pmccartney

May 16, 2013
Visit site
My Note 4 has nowhere near the call reception quality that my BB Z30 has.
I can use my BB in areas where my Note consistently drops calls. Both are on the same Bell plan.

I hope the Priv has the paratech antenna or equivalent.

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, but your barking up the wrong tree. I don't want a CrapBerry phone, a PKB, definitely don't want a slider or a phone named after a outhouse. After Crackberry have putting Android down for years and till this day...and you want me to help save them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roth4796