Pre-Teen Phone, How to Supervise Limit and Maintain

webmanoffesto

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Supervising a Pre-Teen's Android, Monitoring Usage, and Backup / Restore

I will soon buy my pre-teen an Android phone. I've postponed it as long as I can.
What do you recommend for

- Backup and restore to new phone (these phones are easily broken and damaged)
- - Apps
- - Data

- If lost (Stop others from getting the data. The Backup will get the data back to us.)
- - Wipe data
- - Locate lost phone (locate child?)
- - I see that Google's "Find My Device" works well. I assume that the "Secure Device: Lock phone and sign out of your account" works well too, as long as the phone is powered on. https://myaccount.google.com/find-your-phone

Supervise and/or restrict child's usage (e.g. types of content, hours / times of usage)

I know this is pretty general but it pretty much lays out the concerns I have and the reasons why I've postponed this purchase as much as I can.

I know there are great remote access apps. Why do I seem to have so little control over my child's phone.

I tried using one of the Google Family Link. But my child's Google account was originally set up as a typical over-13, and when I declared them "my child" that triggered a "discrepancy" and it locked my child's Google account. I think we unlocked it by purchasing something with a credit card. Sorry I didn't document every little detail.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Google's Find My Phone and the Google cloud can do most of what you want. As for the monitoring your carrier probably has tools for that. Your carrier's app, that allows you to access your account, should have monitoring of each line. Sometimes for an extra free, they allow for more advanced options such as time restrictions, and advanced GPS location monitoring. Check with your carrier for more info on that. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Enid