Prevent remote erase

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi, earlier today my mother went out shopping, when she came home she claimed her phone had been stolen from her bag.

Using Google Locate My Device, I located her phone, but not accurately enough to retrieve it. So I called it to no avail and shortly after the phone stopped reporting it's location, I assumed it had been switched off.

I remotely secured the device and then erased and I received an email saying...

"A request to erase your device was sent using Find My Device. We will try to erase all data from this device.

If your device is offline, erasing will begin when it next comes online."

The phone was then reported stolen to the police.

4 hours later, I got a call from my sister saying someone had called her, saying they had mums phone.

I've literally just got back home after collecting the phone, and giving the guy £20 for finding it, it would seem she dropped the phone when getting out of the car when she arrived to do some shopping.

With phone in hand there was a message on the phone saying it had been remotely locked by find my phone. I entered my mums pin and the phone seems... normal.

It had not been switched off, wifi and mobile data were both on, which I have disabled for fear the phone is going to wipe itself.

So.. TDLR how do I stop my mothers phone from erasing itself after having gone through the erase device option on the Google Find My Device website ?

It's a Samsung S8 running Android 9.

Many thanks for any and all assistance.
A

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member