Pros and Cons of Rooting a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 2014

RoystonB

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,
I have just purchased a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 2014 edition Note. Most of the items/apps on it are good/great. However, the most annoying app is My Magazine, which keeps taking over the main screen, for some reason. There are several other preloaded apps that I do not need or will ever use, but can’t seem to delete them. :'(

I have heard of ROOTING, and I take that as breaking into the system, so that you can alter it to your liking, rather than the manufactures.
Can anyone tell me the Pros and Cons of Rooting, as I am not technically minded and do not want to break my Note 10.1 after only a couple of weeks.

Many thanks for any info. Roy

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
There are only three cons:
1. You void your warranty.
2. You do not get over the air updates, or keys updates.
3. There is a risk of bricking your tablet if you flash a custom ROM incorrectly.

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
The pro's are:
1. You can hack most games to your heart's content via sb game hacker.
2. You become a superuser.
3. You can over-clock your cpu thus making it faster.
4. You can remove bloatware ( the useless pre-installed apps by Samsung).
5. You can flash a custom ROM.
6. You can add more apps to pen window and multi window.
7. A lot more things (no limits).

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Many thanks for the info. Better leave it for a while, as stated, not Technically minded, and bound to do it wrong.
:) I had my Note rooted before I even removed the protective film.

With the one click roots available today there is little chance you will "do it wrong".
Plenty of video tutorials on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cMT61ZSASY

All rooting does is allow you to access the root directory of the device.
Though you will trip Knox if you have a wifi only tablet.
You can leave the stock Samsung skin if you like.

An app like Titanium Backup Pro will allow you to either 'freeze' or remove entirely all those baked in Samsung "features" like Knox, Magazine and other Samsung services, the pesky NYT subscription 'nudges' and more.
It will allow you to run MANY other apps in multiview mode.
Rooting will also allow you to move apps and other data to an external micro SD card, not just pictures and music.

The downside is that if you start deleting things or changing file paths without knowing what they are you could brick the tablet.
This is why it is ALWAYS recommended to do a full system mirror (nandroid) and back it up to another device or external drive first thing.
That way you can almost always restore the tablet to "as new"

This is the nice thing about a program like Titanium Pro.
You can freeze a troublesome program without wiping it off the device, and let the tab run for a while.
If you find you REALLY don't need it you can remove it.
If it causes glitches somewhere in the system you can simply make it active again.

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Just the warranty issue.
I don't think many of us are using this tablet as an enterprise device where the IT department or corporate security would flip out about it.

ETA: I only mentioned tripping the wifi model because evidently the SM P605 LTE variant with the Snapdragon 800 processor -can- be rooted without causing "Knox warranty void 0*1"

Last edited:

pcbtmr

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
So once the 1yr warranty is up and "tripping Knox" will not adversely affect the functioning of the tablet, rooting is no big deal then. Hmm, Christmas present...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilliejoylene