PSA: Google Password Reset and 5.1 Device Protection

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I didn't see this mentioned anywhere yet, but whatever you do don't factory reset your N6 (or any other phone with 5.1 Device Protection) if you've changed your Google password within 72hrs. I found this out the hard way....

Important: If you reset your Google account password and need to do a factory reset, you need to wait 72 hours after changing your password to reset your device. For security purposes, you can't use an account if the password was changed within 72 hours to set up the device after reset.

Full page here.

I made this mistake and got stuck in a loop during setup on the N6. It would get past the WiFi setup, move to the account verification screens (gmail email then password) and loop back to the WiFi setup again. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why. Finally called Google support and after 30min was told I needed to wait 72hrs to try to reactivate the phone because I had reset my Google password less than 72hrs prior to factory resetting it.

Hope this post will keep others from the same frustration I've been through! Back to the Moto X 2013 for 3 days until I can try to activate the N6 again.

Last edited:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: PSA: 5.1 Device Protection and Google Password Reset

Oof... that's good to know. Thanks for the info.

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: PSA: 5.1 Device Protection and Google Password Reset

An update on this - I finally had some time last night to try to activate my N6 after the 72hr "waiting period" and everything worked flawlessly. While I couldn't find it documented anywhere, I believe the device protection must somehow associate the serial number, IMEI or some other hardware identifier to your Google account to make this work.

Just glad to be back on the great big N6.

r3dp0is0n2012

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
did you have to use your old password the one prior to changing it that was associated with that device or you used the new password? Please let me know as soon as possible. Can you elaborate on the process after the 72 hours..? how did you do it? steps? Thank you.

Cindy Craig

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I am in the same predicament. Could you tell me if you ended up using your old password that was originally stored on the phone, or the new password after the 72 hours were up?? Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faiqarani