Question about Sprint/Tmo sim and S21 Series

SwitchBoardDj

Aug 21, 2019
Visit site
Has anyone that was originally on Sprint and had any of the S21 devices swap out their Sprint sim card with a T-Mobile sim? How was your service afterwards and did RCS still work?

I called into Sprint for a different reason and they offered o send me a new free T-Mobile sim card. But I declined because I was afraid all my services/features wouldn't work.

milliman

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I'd switch in a heartbeat because the T-Mobile Experience uses their more frequent towers first then Sprint's . The two networks have a long way to go before both networks are fully integrated. I switched both our phones to T-Mobile before Christmas and have not regretted it. As a matter of fact, I moved to the T-Mobile billing system too for an improved customer service experience. I recommend doing it.

SwitchBoardDj

Aug 21, 2019
Visit site
I'd switch in a heartbeat because the T-Mobile Experience uses their more frequent towers first then Sprint's . The two networks have a long way to go before both networks are fully integrated. I switched both our phones to T-Mobile before Christmas and have not regretted it. As a matter of fact, I moved to the T-Mobile billing system too for an improved customer service experience. I recommend doing it.
Thanks for the info.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Has anyone that was originally on Sprint and had any of the S21 devices swap out their Sprint sim card with a T-Mobile sim? How was your service afterwards and did RCS still work?

I called into Sprint for a different reason and they offered o send me a new free T-Mobile sim card. But I declined because I was afraid all my services/features wouldn't work.
Is your s21 a sprint or Tmobile version?

vader4633

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I started with the Sprint sim installed. Switched to the Tmo sim card to try it out. Everything worked great except when streaming movies they were throttled to SD. Switched back to the Sprint sim and using the same Tmo bands but my movies stream in HD.

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Moving to the T-Mobile billing system is a completely different thing from TNX. Even though the coverage is essentially the same, being provisioned on a Sprint account is still pretty significant at this point. The biggest difference between using a Sprint sim and TNX or Magenta is roaming - legacy Sprint has a larger roaming footprint in some areas than legacy T-Mobile. Regardless of which of the three experiences your phone is on, the T-Mobile network is preferred, then the Sprint network, then the applicable roaming partners. So if you are with either core network your experience should, in theory anyway, be the same. The throttling behavior differs based on plan.

Benny07

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I ordered from sprint and have the Tmobile Sim card in my ultra. RCS seems to work most if the time, I get the delivered and read receipts, but all the bubbles are green unlike before when RCS bubbles were blue. It also only says "enter message " when before it would say "enter chat message." Also wondering about updates now? Am I waiting for a sprint update or will it be t-mobile?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I ordered from sprint and have the Tmobile Sim card in my ultra. RCS seems to work most if the time, I get the delivered and read receipts, but all the bubbles are green unlike before when RCS bubbles were blue. It also only says "enter message " when before it would say "enter chat message." Also wondering about updates now? Am I waiting for a sprint update or will it be t-mobile?
Should be Tmobile update

Oscar Maradiaga

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
It gave me issues but might be different for you. I originally did this on my s20 ultra and service was horrible using the tmobile sim card. I had to go back to sprint sim cards because tmobile hasn't yet fully integrated the sprint towers over to Tmobile.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It gave me issues but might be different for you. I originally did this on my s20 ultra and service was horrible using the tmobile sim card. I had to go back to sprint sim cards because tmobile hasn't yet fully integrated the sprint towers over to Tmobile.
I agree if you can still use sprint for now and have better coverage then go that way until they don't let you anymore.

milliman

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I completely converted my account to T-Mobile and I've been happier. The coverage is better and customer service issues take moments to resolve.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyberus