Question about T-Mobile data speeds with the GN

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
In Phoenix and areas in the East Valley I only get an average of 3Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up. Peak speeds sometimes reach 4Mbps. I'm not terribly impressed since this is the same speeds my 3G Galaxy S Vibrant got as well.

But since I've had four Galaxy Nexus and they've all done it and I know others get better results in other places, I assume it's just lame HSPA+ service here in the Phoenix areas (at least the parts where I've been trying it).

It's sufficient though, so I'll live with it.

NYC Dude

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm on T-Mobile prepaid $30/mo. 100 minutes, UL text, UL/5gb cap data.

They have $60 tier with: UL minutes, UL text, UL/2gb cap data.
and a $70 tier with: UL minutes, UL text, UL/5gb cap data.

Simple Mobile has $60 UL / UL / UL (cap ~8gb) plans.

Do you use any VOIP or SIP accounts to supplement your 100 minutes? I've been on the 60 dollar Monthly 4G plan with my Galaxy Nexus. I'm considering switching but 100 minutes is pretty low.

Secondly, I thought Simple Mobile throttled way before 8GB. If thats their limit would it make their $60 plan a better option than T-Mobile's $60 dollar Monthly 4G plan ?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Do you use any VOIP or SIP accounts to supplement your 100 minutes? I've been on the 60 dollar Monthly 4G plan with my Galaxy Nexus. I'm considering switching but 100 minutes is pretty low.

I make calls via Google Voice + Google Talk in GMail whenever I'm at my computer (requires that you're into Google Voice). VOIP solutions are so clunky and inconsistent to use for regular calls imo. To drop to this 100 minute plan you either need to not talk much or be able to deal with the VOIP solutions.

I know there are a lot of people who do VOIP, but its just not worth the hassle to save such little money. Once you're into VOIP you're paying monthly + per minute for that service on top of your own plan, plus the hassle, you might as well just get an unlimited talk plan.

Secondly, I thought Simple Mobile throttled way before 8GB. If thats their limit would it make their $60 plan a better option than T-Mobile's $60 dollar Monthly 4G plan ?

General consensus that I'm aware of is that they throttle in the 6gb-8gb range. We know for a fact that Simple throttles much higher than 2gb, so It does make their plan a better deal than the $60 T-Mobile plan, and potentially even better than the $70 T-Mobile plan.

There is another option much better than the T-Mobile $60 plan, from Straight Talk. They offer UL / UL / "UL"(2gb) plan for $45. So if you're staying under $45 and don't "abuse" (they're pretty strict) your data then you can save more there.

The only merit I see to the $70 T-Mobile plan is the security to know where they throttle at. You pay just a little more in order to know that you have that full 5gb. Its pretty much a power-users plan (or someone who doesn't want to have "minute anxiety" or "data anxiety".

For someone with the Galaxy Nexus (or other flagships), the only 2 relevant plans from T-Mobile are the $30 plan for heavy data / light talk users, and the $70 plan for heavy data / heavy talk users. The other two runners (mentioned above) are Straight Talk $45 medium data / heavy talk, and Simple Mobile $60 heavy data / heavy talk. ALL of which are killer deals compared to AT&T and Verizon, honestly.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I hear too many bad reports about MVNO's putting rather low caps on their "unlimited data" and just terminating users that go over them citing some TOS clause about unreasonable use or something weird.
Simple Mobile Unlimited Data Capped at 1GB, Accounts Terminated When Cap Reached | PhoneNews.com

Perhaps they've gotten better since that particular story almost 2 years ago. But before I went to T-Mobile's prepaid I was checking out various MVNOs and it seemed like most were still pretty bad about this.

quietriot84

May 14, 2010
Visit site
In Phoenix and areas in the East Valley I only get an average of 3Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up. Peak speeds sometimes reach 4Mbps. I'm not terribly impressed since this is the same speeds my 3G Galaxy S Vibrant got as well.

But since I've had four Galaxy Nexus and they've all done it and I know others get better results in other places, I assume it's just lame HSPA+ service here in the Phoenix areas (at least the parts where I've been trying it).

It's sufficient though, so I'll live with it.

That's about what I get in the Gilbert/Chandler area. Wish it was higher. I wonder if that rumor about the AT&T Galaxy Nexus LTE is true or not...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

NYC Dude

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I make calls via Google Voice + Google Talk in GMail whenever I'm at my computer (requires that you're into Google Voice). VOIP solutions are so clunky and inconsistent to use for regular calls imo. To drop to this 100 minute plan you either need to not talk much or be able to deal with the VOIP solutions.

I know there are a lot of people who do VOIP, but its just not worth the hassle to save such little money. Once you're into VOIP you're paying monthly + per minute for that service on top of your own plan, plus the hassle, you might as well just get an unlimited talk plan.

General consensus that I'm aware of is that they throttle in the 6gb-8gb range. We know for a fact that Simple throttles much higher than 2gb, so It does make their plan a better deal than the $60 T-Mobile plan, and potentially even better than the $70 T-Mobile plan.

There is another option much better than the T-Mobile $60 plan, from Straight Talk. They offer UL / UL / "UL"(2gb) plan for $45. So if you're staying under $45 and don't "abuse" (they're pretty strict) your data then you can save more there.

The only merit I see to the $70 T-Mobile plan is the security to know where they throttle at. You pay just a little more in order to know that you have that full 5gb. Its pretty much a power-users plan (or someone who doesn't want to have "minute anxiety" or "data anxiety".

For someone with the Galaxy Nexus (or other flagships), the only 2 relevant plans from T-Mobile are the $30 plan for heavy data / light talk users, and the $70 plan for heavy data / heavy talk users. The other two runners (mentioned above) are Straight Talk $45 medium data / heavy talk, and Simple Mobile $60 heavy data / heavy talk. ALL of which are killer deals compared to AT&T and Verizon, honestly.

I just switched to the $30 dollar plan to give it a test run. Searching about Simple Mobile it looks like they will cut your data off after 2GB. And Straight Talk isn't even a option. I can't deal with being watched like that.

So far its going good. I'm using Talkatone with Google Voice set up so that I could receive calls as well as make outgoing ones. And it all shows up as my Google Voice number. It works pretty good on wifi and HSPA+. I'm in New York City

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I just switched to the $30 dollar plan to give it a test run. Searching about Simple Mobile it looks like they will cut your data off after 2GB. And Straight Talk isn't even a option. I can't deal with being watched like that.

So far its going good. I'm using Talkatone with Google Voice set up so that I could receive calls as well as make outgoing ones. And it all shows up as my Google Voice number. It works pretty good on wifi and HSPA+. I'm in New York City

Yeah there seems to be conflicting reports about all of the prepaid carriers and where they cut you off. My understanding has been that Simple Mobile lets you go higher than that, but i have not personally used them.

Last edited:

drewsg

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I'm getting speeds of about 1-2Mbits in the same spot my Galaxy S2 gives me 5-6Mbits.

I don't think it's worth it, I'm gonna play with it some more but I think I'm gonna return it

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm getting speeds of about 1-2Mbits in the same spot my Galaxy S2 gives me 5-6Mbits.

I don't think it's worth it, I'm gonna play with it some more but I think I'm gonna return it

I'd just check your APNs and try out other radios. Other than that, the SGSII will just have faster speeds when its a 42mbps HSPA+ device. That's just how it is.

mwpow3ll

May 3, 2012
Visit site
I got up and running on the Monthly4G UL Talk, Text, and Data / 5GB speed cap for $70 last week.

On my iPhone 3GS with AT&T I was always connected to 3G with 3-4 bars in my apartment (Tempe, AZ), but on T-Mobile, I barely get 2 bars to Edge or 2G; however, with AT&T I dropped all the time and thus far on T-Mobile I've dropped once.

Like I said, I'm not disappointed because when I'm at home I use my wireless network, but it's very obvious that in my area T-Mobile is not the best. The only time I've seen 4G was out and about... and it was intermittent.

I really can't complain though, because this pre-paid plan is saving me $48 / month.

Reactions: Andrew Martonik

RoccOn16v

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm rocking the $30 a month T-mobile plan on my nexus right now and absolutely love it. I consistently get 7 down, 2+ up, which feels rocket fast compared to my old epic on Sprint.

I use talkatone on my ipad with a bluetooth headset as my voip at home, and answer calls on it just like a normal phone. It took me about a week to fully port my sprint number to GV, with lost texts and calls during that, but once it was set up it was definitely worth it.

Anyway, short summary: I highly recommend T-mo's $30/month, 100min plan.

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I have a SGSII I got two months ago on contract. I was thinking of selling it as I can get a price for it and not lose money and get the Nexus (not breaking my contact, just use my SIM).
Do you think it is would be worth it to go to a +21 from a +42 device. I would like to get OS updates quickly and a pure Google experience.

Thanks.

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I have a SGSII I got two months ago on contract. I was thinking of selling it as I can get a price for it and not lose money and get the Nexus (not breaking my contact, just use my SIM).
Do you think it is would be worth it to go to a +21 from a +42 device. I would like to get OS updates quickly and a pure Google experience.

Thanks.

I don't think many places have +42 yet, so it probably would. Yo can always ask T-Mobile if they even have +42 in your area.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't think many places have +42 yet, so it probably would. Yo can always ask T-Mobile if they even have +42 in your area.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

I live in a 42m area, although my SGSII gets nowhere near that speed.
Wonder how a Nexus would do.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

There are actually quite a large number of markets which are 42mbps HSPA+ areas.

I live in a 42m area, although my SGSII gets nowhere near that speed.
Wonder how a Nexus would do.

Well your real-world speeds are at best (like standing next to the tower) going to be 60% of the theoretical speeds. The Galaxy Nexus on T-Mo will maybe push ~10mbps down.

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Thx. In my apt. I have Edge speeds. How much worse or better will the Nexus be I'm wondering.
Since I don't want to break my contract yet, still deciding.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zeeba