Question about the VzW contract w/ Google for the Nexus?

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know how Googles selection process w/ new carriers of the latest Nexus, pans out. I've read people say, carriers bid on recieving the Nexus contracts. I've heard that the process was based on a rotating lottery selection. It just cycles to the next carrier in line, if they are interested, it's theirs. Just curious about how it works.

Shermanmanman

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I would say probably zero chance there is a rotating lottery system.

I was about to agree, but then I looked at what the Nexus releases have been like so far:

• T-Mobile was the first one to carry the three Nexus phones: HTC G1, HTC Nexus One, and Samsung Nexus S (I count the G1 because it was a phone that was developed with Google's help).
  • AT&T carried the Nexus One and Nexus S after T-Mobile had received them (only a few months in between releases)
  • Sprint only has the Nexus S 4G, but did receive it before AT&T (May 8th for Sprint, July 24th for AT&T)

Its possible that Verizon could be the one to get it first in the USA then it subsequently roll down the hill to the other three major carriers. Big Red skipped over the Galaxy S II phones specifically for this one, so there had to be something going on prior to the Galaxy Nexus announcement. I won't say lottery though, I'll just say some kind of selection process.

Hope this helps!

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I was about to agree, but then I looked at what the Nexus releases have been like so far:

• T-Mobile was the first one to carry the three Nexus phones: HTC G1, HTC Nexus One, and Samsung Nexus S (I count the G1 because it was a phone that was developed with Google's help).
  • AT&T carried the Nexus One and Nexus S after T-Mobile had received them (only a few months in between releases)
  • Sprint only has the Nexus S 4G, but did receive it before AT&T (May 8th for Sprint, July 24th for AT&T)

Its possible that Verizon could be the one to get it first in the USA then it subsequently roll down the hill to the other three major carriers. Big Red skipped over the Galaxy S II phones specifically for this one, so there had to be something going on prior to the Galaxy Nexus announcement. I won't say lottery though, I'll just say some kind of selection process.

Hope this helps!

That's why I leaned towards lottery. I was always under the impression they drew straws on who got the first. And drew straws on #2, so on and so forth. Thusly, setting up future carriers to recieve in a paint by #s list, of sorts.

Shermanmanman

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
It could be some other influence too. Verizon and Motorola are pretty close AND Google did just buy out Motorola Mobility. Could there be something else happening on the inside? :p

EDIT: Why did I say anything about Motorola? This is all about Samsung... I think I shouldn't be posting at 1:05 in the morning anymore :p

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I bet Verizon paid a lot of money to get their version first.

Sent from my SGS II

I think verizon did it more so the other carriers can't get it first than actually wanting to have it. This way they can delay sales and not worry about others jumping ship to other carriers for the nexus.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I really think it was something like this:

Google: Our phone is the most awesome.

Verizon: Our LTE network is the most awesome.

Google and Verizon: Deal.

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
This year it's all about LTE. Verizon has the widely available 4G network so it was a no-brainer for Google.

Sent from my Droid, the only mobile OS that matters.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord