[Question] Icon packs - Why are so many so bad??

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I know that there are some great icon packs out there. My issues with Icon Packs is that they only skin certain apps/icons.

I use this one - Smoke & Glass Icon Pack: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.hooolm.smokeandglass&token=Ec4pdwOU

Things I LOVE about this is that it DOES have skins for specific Icons, and any icon it does NOT have a specific skin for, it still "Skins" it in a generic icon so that it still has the look at feel, but may not be specific.

Here is my App Drawer with this Icon Pack:
NELsTBp.png

It bothers me to no end that most icon packs have icons for specific apps only and the rest stay default. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me when I see this.

I have used this Icon Pack for YEARS because every other one that I like and try, only covers most or some of the icons for popular games and apps (most of which I do not use).

Are there icon packs (needs to work with Nova, at least for me, but PLEASE post others) that mimic this behavior that others have found?

Thanks!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have a number of icon packs that work well with skinning unsupported icons. This is the one I'm curently using: LineBula Earth

My issue with icon packs is that not all of them have a selection of folder icons. I keep a folder of Direct Dial widgets that acts as my speed dial, and I like to use a folder icon with a symbol that looks like a group of people, or a heart, or a star -- many icon packs lack this. So I only keep the packs that have a good folder icon selection.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I use Whicons. If it's not clear from the name, it's white icons.

They are very clean and icon masking is perfect. I've got a ridiculous number of installed apps and they all look white. I'd love if I could get a canary yellow version, but what can you do?

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
So this is something you download and it changes your icons and you don't need to have a different launcher it works with one UI? I mean I've downloaded themes before but I didn't know like you could just download icon I guess. I haven't been to the theme store in a while cuz one time I had a theme mess up my whole phone and I had to do areset.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So this is something you download and it changes your icons and you don't need to have a different launcher it works with one UI? I mean I've downloaded themes before but I didn't know like you could just download icon I guess. I haven't been to the theme store in a while cuz one time I had a theme mess up my whole phone and I had to do areset.

OP is using Nova, as am I. I don't think One UI supports 3rd party icon packs, apart from Themes in the Galaxy Store.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
OP is using Nova, as am I. I don't think One UI supports 3rd party icon packs, apart from Themes in the Galaxy Store.

Okay that's what I thought I wasn't sure cuz I think the link took me to the Play store and cost money but they looked really cool. Maybe I'll look into Nova

EazyD33

Feb 22, 2022
Visit site
I'm currently using Blaze Backless icons. They also have a dark pack that is similar to the OP's smoke icons. Like most I'm using Nova Prime as a launcher. However, because it's part of One UI, this won't change the icons that are on the edge panel so I'm also using the theme park module for good lock.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I've settled on Proton icon pack for Nova. It seemingly has an icon for everything.

ebf72e3241f5943b8fd01ea065a8e8e6.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Okay that's what I thought I wasn't sure cuz I think the link took me to the Play store and cost money but they looked really cool. Maybe I'll look into Nova
If you've never used Nova you will be blown away at what it offers as standard options. Nova was doing screen gestures long before Google thought it was a game changer. One UI combined with good lock has gotten better, but it's no Nova. Nova prime is worth every penny. The only time I don't use Nova is with the fold as apparently Nova doesn't want to support the fold phones.

I've often wished Samsung would buy Nova and make it the launcher for Samsung phones, but I then quickly take that wish back as Samsung would just screw it up.

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
If you've never used Nova you will be blown away at what it offers as standard options. Nova was doing screen gestures long before Google thought it was a game changer. One UI combined with good lock has gotten better, but it's no Nova. Nova prime is worth every penny. The only time I don't use Nova is with the fold as apparently Nova doesn't want to support the fold phones.

I've often wished Samsung would buy Nova and make it the launcher for Samsung phones, but I then quickly take that wish back as Samsung would just screw it up.

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk

I got Nova Prime on sale years ago for 10p. And you are right, it has been worth all ten of those pennies!

Although I'm actually pretty sure I paid with rewards credit lol.

teristark

May 27, 2014
Visit site
I've settled on Proton icon pack for Nova. It seemingly has an icon for everything.

How have I missed this one? I look several times a year for different icons but this one never came up...or I completely overlooked it. Thanks, I put my rewards $ to good use. :)

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site

ebf72e3241f5943b8fd01ea065a8e8e6.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

That's Cool! I guess I'll try Nova. I've only used a different launcher once way back is it still the same I can go into a setting and bring back my One UI and Samsung the way it was and I can switch back and forth?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's Cool! I guess I'll try Nova. I've only used a different launcher once way back is it still the same I can go into a setting and bring back my One UI and Samsung the way it was and I can switch back and forth?

Yep, it's easy. Just search your system settings for "Default Home", and that will bring you to the option to select which launcher to use by default. The layout for each will remain saved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d