Questions from a Phone Technology Challenged Female :)

epdean

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I am fairly new around here and have been mostly lurking and reading because I don't understand half of what you guys talk about so please be gentle...

I do, however, have a few questions and wondered if someone would mind taking a few minutes to answer them? I would really appreciate it. Ok, where to start?

I have been researching the Galaxy S2 and Bionic for several months now and trying to understand the differences between them and/or the advantages of one over another. Could you shed some light on that for me, in layman's terms? I read that the Bionic will have webtop capabilities, but truthfully I've no clue what that means.

I also know that there is a lot of debate and speculation about whether or not the S2 will be 4G/LTE. Now I am going to sound like a total moron here, but can you tell me what the advantages of 4G are other than "it's faster"? One of the things I would really like in a phone is the ability to talk and surf the web at the same time (like ATT has with their iPhone). Is this something that 4G would allow?

One of the other features that I want in a phone is the ability to tether or is it toggle (forgive me), so that I can connect it to my computer and essentially use it as a wireless modem. Will the Bionic or S2 or both allow for this?

Another simple feature that I want is an FM radio. I remember reading earlier reports that the Bionic would have this but the S2 would not, any idea?

I have been holding out on upgrading my phone for a VERY long time and have always been a windows pocket pc user...so venturing into Android territory is new for me..***ducks and hides in corner***, and because I have waited so ridiculously long (I won't even embarrass myself by telling you what my current phone is...I mean it when I say I have been extremely patient...my phone is archaic and takes forever to look anything up online..most of the time, I don't even bother) I really want to make a smart decision with my upgrade and get something that won't be too terribly outdated too quickly. Trust me, I know that anything will be 1000000 times better than what I have, but I'd also like that novelty to last a little while. I hope I don't sound like too big of a moron...I'm actually a college professor, so not as dumb as I probably sound, but when it comes to this stuff, I am somewhat learning disabled :)

I know this is a lot...sorry, and if you don't have the time to answer, I understand, but if you do, I'd greatly appreciate the insight.
Thanks!

butler360

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
LTE (Verizon's 4G) is faster and allows voice and data at the same time, although I don't think all phones take advantage of that. It's extremely fast, though.

I'm sure you will be able to pay for tethering with the Bionic, but the S2 should be "unlocked" very easily, making free tethering possible. People will probably figure that out with the Bionic at some point, too.

Not sure if the S2 has FM radio, but I've found the TuneIn app to be better since it streams and has tons of stations.

Anyways, I'd recommend the S2 simply because Motorola sucks and locks everything down. They've also been skimping on screen quality lately, too. Samsung is more open so you can run custom ROMs like Cyanogenmod. I don't know how involved you were with Windows Mobile, but it's very similar to "flashing" ROMs on Windows Mobile. It can make an already very good phone even better.

I still have my Touch Pro 2, is your phone older than that?

Reactions: epdean

yankdez

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm sure most of us are nerds and don't mind teaching others about the wonderful world of android.

Whats the difference between GS2 and Bionic: Well nobody can answer this question really (except the head honchos at verizon) because nothing is officially known about either phone. Theres not a lot known about the Bionic, and virtually nothing known about the GS2, so comparing them is impossible. Nobody even knows for sure if the GS2 is coming to the verizon, though most believe it will. Going off of that assumption, if you want to know what the basic software differences are before they both come out, I think it's best if you search a buncha youtube clips on the Motorola Droid3 and Samsung GS2 to see the difference in User Interface (UI). Each manufacturer skins their phones, and it all comes down to preference (Motorola's Motoblur skin vs Samsung's Touchwiz skin). The Droid3 is in stores already, so you can physically mess around with it if you want. Hardware-wise, I think both will be comparable. The biggest difference that people are still unsure about at the moment is whether VZW's GS2 will be 4g-capable. The Bionic on the other hand WILL be 4g-capable.

Webtop capabilities of the top tier Motorola phones is done through two different docks they sell: multimedia dock and laptop dock. Just to make it clear, only Motorola offers this webtop capability. Samsung, nor any other manufacturer, does not have this option. Anyways, webtop essentially allows you to use your phone's hardware to power a semi-desktop experience. Think of it as a limbo between your phone and your desktop. The main advantage of this is being able to navigate your apps, internet browser, movies, etc. more easily using a larger display, mouse/trackpad, and normal-sized keyboard. Performance-wise, you'll have to do your research (youtube, google, etc.) on the individual phone. Many say it's sluggish and awkward to use, but the technology just came out a few months ago. Give it some more time, as with all technology. Just don't expect it to replace your computer any time soon.

With respect to 4g LTE, it's allows for simultaneous voice and data. I first thought this was a really big deal, but looking back, how many times do you actually use this function? Not many for me. Verizon's HTC Thunderbolt even has the ability to perform simultaneous voice and data over 3g (yes 3g, not 4g), although this is not available in any other VZW phones as far as I know. But yea, I don't know what else to say about 4g other than its faster. lol

On tethering: Up until recently, you could root your smartphone and tether for free, although it wouldn't be authorized by VZW. Rooting your phone involves some semi-complicated steps like downloading/sideloading files, running commands, moving files, etc. Rooting not only gave you "free" tethering, but you could do things like remove apps that were preloaded on your phone (we call them bloatware or crapware, which were mostly permanent unless you had root access), overclock your CPU, install apps that weren't authorized, etc. From the sounds of it though, you don't sound like a person that would really be into this kinda stuff. All of this doesn't really matter anyways because VZW has been cracking down on this unauthorized tethering. So the only real option you have now is to purchase a tethering plan from VZW, which costs $20/month and you have a max of 2GB of tetherable data. I don't know what you want to use tethering for, but I'd say 2GB is likely enough. If you want to know if it's enough, there is an online data calculator provided by vzw. Just google it. And to answer your question, the Bionic and the GS2 (if/when vzw gets it) are both capable of tethering.

As far as FM radio, some phones have the FM tuner, and some phones don't. It's something that you'll have to read on the spec sheet for each individual phone. Also note that there are a lot of excellent apps out there like Pandora or Slacker Radio where you can get your music fix from. But if you really like your local station's banter or some sports stations or whatever else is on FM, then you'll just have to look for this function on the phone's spec sheet.

I've tried answering these questions to the best of my ability. If anyone sees something incorrect, please point it out. I'm still learning a lot of this android stuff too....

Hope this helped epdean. Now it's a waiting game like the rest of us for another month or so for the Bionic and GS2 to come out on Verizon... Just curious, what subject do you teach?

Okay, this post took a lot out of me. Now I need a beer.

Last edited:

epdean

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Wow, thanks! You guys rock for being willing to take the time to answer my questions! I really appreciate it. After all of this talk about ROM and rooting, I feel like I need a cocktail.

Ok, I feel like this is confession, but yes, I believe my phone is older than yours...it's the Samsung Omnia...no, not the second version they came out with, the first ***dies of embarrassment*** I had planned on upgrading last year but then a very important project I had been working on came to fruition ( got pregnant) and that just seemed to take over everything. Flash forward 15 months and now I am a very busy mom to a beautiful six month girl. I had considered getting the Thunderbolt as it had so much of what I wanted but was right in the middle of new "mommydom" and then I started hearing all of these reports of poor battery life and that all of these dual core phones were coming out so I figured I would just wait a month or two...and as we all know that month or two has turned into five or six months.

That sucks that you have to pay for tethering. When I read the specs on the Thunderbolt and it listed tethering, I thought that was "free". I guess I will have to start "hanging" around here more so I can learn how to "root" my phone so I don't have to pay for it. I mostly wanted it for when I am in the car with my laptop, but you know, I'll bet that my new phone, whichever one it ends up being, will be so much easier to email, surf the web, and do things on, that I really won't need to drag out my laptop. I'm just so used to my horrible Omnia, with the terrible, slow screen, internet, camera, etc. Texting has even become damn near impossible on the thing. I push one letter, I get the one next to it, despite various attempts to "realign" my screen. I think any phone would feel amazing after using this one for so long. Before I got lost in Omnia land, I used to pride myself on having the latest and greatest Windows phone. Life just got in the way lately :) and plus, I feel like Android is so much more advanced. I considered an iPhone, but quickly learned that Android has more to offer.

The reason that I want the FM radio is more for my partner than myself. We usually end up getting the same phone just to make life easier, and because believe it or not, I am the technologically savvy one in the relationship and usually do most of the "this is what your phone can do" teaching. My partner is a big NPR fan and likes to listen to our local station that broadcasts NPR and cool weekly music shows.

I don't know much about ROM or what it really is or does (I know, go ahead and laugh) and I certainly don't know how to root a phone...but I am an educator, and value learning, so I'm willing and able to be taught. My father would probably be ashamed...he builds and repairs computers for a living, but we weren't exactly hanging out in the garage together these past 15 years, as he lives in CA and I am in the Midwest.

As for me, I am a licensed clinical therapist and teach addictions counseling, psychology, forensic science, and various other social science courses (death and dying, human sexuality, etc.) at a small private university. Yep, addictions counseling....my latest addiction appears to be staying up until 3:00 am researching the latest and greatest android phones, like the rest or y'all...maybe we can exchange services...therapy for rooting lessons anyone? LOL

Thanks for your responses! I appreciate it.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
There's also no word yet if sg2 or bionic will have root right away. Gingerbread has made extremely diffult to root. As being unlocked all that does is let u Swap kernals. Also gs2 is old like 5months old and still not released in USA. The only thing the sg2 has on bionic is the screen. And I have no issue with bionic screen

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
There's also no word yet if sg2 or bionic will have root right away. Gingerbread has made extremely diffult to root. As being unlocked all that does is let u Swap kernals. Also gs2 is old like 5months old and still not released in USA. The only thing the sg2 has on bionic is the screen. And I have no issue with bionic screen

Spec-wise, that may be true. But, it's still yet to be seen how the Bionic operates. Videos and walkthroughs on the international GSII has shown the smoothest device that I've seen to date. Hopefully the Bionic can perform as well. Although, that may not be of much concern to the OP.

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site

I am pretty sure that this is the second time I have stated this in a reply to one of your posts, but the SGSII was released almost exactly 3 months ago. The Bionic has also "still not released in the USA" so I don't really see that as a viable argument against one phone or the other. We also don't know any details about either phone officially, so I am not really sure how you can make the argument that "the only thing the sg2 has on the bionic is the screen". Since we don't know the specs of either device how can you do a side by side comparison to see which one is better?

It has been three months since the SGSII dropped elsewhere in the world so for all we know they have made changes to the device that would improve on the original design. This would make the US versions an upgrade and make the technology/phone much less then 3 months old. Also, the Bionic (etna version) was originally supposed to be release, you guessed it, 3 months ago. Since they scrapped that phone and moved the Bionic branding to the Targa, Motorola has also improved their phone over the last 3 months.

To be perfectly honest, the information that you often spout is just unhelpful and misguiding. This thread was designed to outline the pros and cons of both phones, and attacks, like you frequently give, just have no place in a thread like this. If you would like to give helpful information that is not ridiculously biased then be my guest, but to be honest I am just fed up with all the bull**** that is constantly thrown between members of the SGSII and Bionic community. I love that you are very excited about the Bionic and clearly very passionate about it, but I don't understand why you have to attack other phones because of it. The specs of the SGSII have absolutely nothing to do with the Bionic so I don't understand what you think you are gaining by bashing it. If it's the right phone for other people then let them make their own decisions and let them be happy with their purchase.

Sorry about giving yet a second long rant about this topic, but I just really don't like this kind of behavior and I really don't see how it does anything to benefit either side. At lease Apple fans can be one community that is united...

epdean

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Also, it sounds like if I want the capability to have voice and data simultaneously that I will need 4G (aside from the TB which can apparently do this with 3G), is this correct? So, would most of you go with the Bionic if the GSII is not 4G or are there enough good things about the GSII to make it more desirable than the Bionic even if it doesn't have 4G?

Are 4G and LTE used interchangeably or is there a difference between the two?

I know, so many questions, sorry!

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site
Also, it sounds like if I want the capability to have voice and data simultaneously that I will need 4G (aside from the TB which can apparently do this with 3G), is this correct? So, would most of you go with the Bionic if the GSII is not 4G or are there enough good things about the GSII to make it more desirable than the Bionic even if it doesn't have 4G?

That's correct. You would either need a phone with SVDO technology (only the Thunderbolt at the moment), or you would need a 4G device AND be in range of a 4G signal.

4G is not the same thing as LTE. LTE is a type of 4G technology. As far as Verizon is concerned, they are the same, though. Verizon only supports LTE-type 4G.

epdean

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
That's correct. You would either need a phone with SVDO technology (only the Thunderbolt at the moment), or you would need a 4G device AND be in range of a 4G signal.

4G is not the same thing as LTE. LTE is a type of 4G technology. As far as Verizon is concerned, they are the same, though. Verizon only supports LTE-type 4G.

Thanks!

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Also gs2 is old like 5months old and still not released in USA. The only thing the sg2 has on bionic is the screen.
This statement makes absolutely no sense lol

First off it's been out in Europe for 3 months so lets get that out of the way.

Secondly the device has not even seen the light of day here in the US. There is not even a variant that is floating around with the same specs as it.

Now, and this is very important, if there was a device, say the Samsung Milky Way, that had a GIG of RAM, SAMOLED + screen, a slightly different processor (clocked at the same speed but still dual core) I would say "yeah it's old" I would agree. But this is NOT the case for the Samsung. The Motorola on the other hand....well you get the picture :)

Your reasoning is flawed my friend :cool:

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

Actually, what Asterdroid says is correct, but there's another way that may or may not help you depending on your use. Another way to do simultaneous voice and data is with WiFi. If you connect the data through WiFi, then you can do simulataneous voice and data (voice over 3G and data over WiFi). But, this obviously means that you have to hook the phone up to a WiFi hotspot, router, etc.

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site

As was just said you do need 4G to be able to use voice and data at the same time unless you wanted to buy a thunderbolt. Keep in mind though that staying constantly connected to 4G drains your battery very quickly and will leave your phone drained in a matter of hours. If you plan to do a lot of talking and data transfer at the same time you will likely only be able to use your phone for half a day, maybe a bit more. The technology is still very young and very power hungry at the moment. Also, make sure that you actually live in a 4G area and that the main places you know you would want to use 4G and voice at the same time are in that 4G coverage. There are a lot of people who commute to work and the highway they drive on is not covered, while their work and house are. At the moment, most people use their 4G when needed and don't keep it on continuously so its generally not that big of an issue.

If the SGSII was 3G i honestly would not purchase it. To be very honest, if I wanted a phone that had similar specs to the SGSII and does not have 4G LTE then I would just buy the iPhone 4S/5. Even though I prefer android and am an android fan at heart, I cant deny that Apple makes a very good product and the optimization between hardware and software is very good. Keep in mind though that in a lot of places the 3G speeds are very slow. Verizon skipped over most of the advanced 3G technology to pursue 4G LTE sooner. This means that their 4G LTE network is the fastest in the country, but they don't really have a strong 3G network to fall back on. With that in mind I am only going to purchase a phone that has 4G LTE capabilities, especially because I am going to be keeping this phone for quite some time. In a year and a half from now you will probably regret having a phone that can only access 3G. So for my use and preference there isn't anything that could justify me buying a 3G phone over a 4G one.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
This is a pretty good thread. I'm stuck between which phone to get as well. Timing of each phone being released (as well as 4G technology) are likely going to weigh heavily. I've been eligible for an upgrade now for approximately a month and I'm waiting until September to be able to get one of these 2 phones. If both are released about the same time and the GS2 has LTE then I would probably opt for the GS2. However,I'm not sure on either of those.

Anyway, this is based on some of the speculation surrounding both phones, but here's my list of pros/cons (I've tried to make it as "user-friendly" as possible for a non-tech user):

For both phones:
Pros:
  • Dual Core - Helps with multitasking on your phone. Won't be taken advantage of as much right now (next few months) but you will reap the benefits as it becomes more and more common in phones.
  • Solid specs - both are rumored to have some solid specs and be pretty elite in terms of the technology they offer. People will differ as to which one is superior, but both will be near the top.

Bionic

PROS:
  • LTE - "faster" speeds for loading pages, downloading and updating applications, etc. If you're going to be streaming a lot of mobile content when not on a WiFi connection this might be important to you.
  • Use in Bright Light - Bionic will likely be using a qHD (that's "quarter Hi-Definition") screen. This screen is probably one of the best for use outdoors/in bright light. (more on this in the "Cons" below)
  • Battery life - Should be superior to many LTE phones right now thanks in large part to a (suspected) larger battery and it's screen (see above, and below) which helps conserve energy.
CONS:
  • Technology of the Screen - you might seem some threads which talk about the technology being used by each company (Samsung is likely to use what is called a SAMOLED+ ("super AMOLED plus") screen whereas Motorola is likely to use what is called a qHD screen which uses "pentile" layout for subpixels. It's a bit technical, which I'm trying not to get bogged down it, but the way the Motorola/Bionic screen is made bothers some people because they say it causes "jagged edges" on some things it displays. This is probably something of personal preference, but I suggest you check out a Droid 3 in the store to see this in person. A Droid 3 uses similar screen technology to what the Bionic (likely) will have, but is 4.0 inches instead of 4.3 (like the Bionic allgedly is).
  • Motorolas' UI ("User Interface") - Android is the operating system ("os") which these phones run. Companies which manufacture the phones often install what is called a UI or "skin" which is their own, which runs with Android. Often this allows the phone manufacturer to point you to applications it wants and so on. Many users complain that the phone manufacturer's UI is slow/laggy and doesn't help them at all. Motorola's previous versions (which have been called "Blur" or "Motoblur") have received many of these complaints. Their more recent version of this UI is on the Droid 3. Much like the screen, I recommend trying it out and seeing if you like it.
  • "Rootability" - This is the ability to "root" your device. Often you'll see mentions of "unlocked bootloaders" or "locked bootloaders" and so on. Essentially what this all means is that you can install a custom "ROM" (also hear "kernels") into your phone which changes the User Interface/operating system. People perfer being able to do this. When you initially get your device this option NOT likely be available on the Bionic. It will be difficult to do these type of things on the Bionic initially. Allgedly it will be available in the future, but nobody is really sure when (we've heard November among other dates).

SG2
PROS
  • Screen - Samsungs SAMOLED+ (see above discussion of screens) is reviewed quite positively. It has a good ability to display black-colors (better than an LCD).
  • Samsung's UI - Samsung's UI is generally considered to be one of the better UI's installed by phone manufacturers. While many people install ROMs many others don't, so (generally speaking) people tend to like Samsung's user interface.
  • "Rootability" - the SG2 is likely to be more "rootable" out of the box, and may even come with an unlocked bootloader. All of this means the ability to install custom ROMs will likely be supported pretty early on from the phone, which allows more customization.
CONS
  • Unsure about LTE - some people say they know it will have it, others say they don't think it will. There's hints/clues both ways depending on who you listen to. We really don't know for sure at this time that the SG2 will have LTE.
  • Screen Color Saturation - some people are really bothered by the color of the display, other's don't care. They say it looks "cartoony" etc. I suggest you check out the Droid Charge, as it (likely) has a similar screen to the one you'll see on the SG2.
  • Use in Bright Light - the SAMLOED+ screen is considered by some people to not be as good in bright light. If you use your phone for GPS a lot (and have it up on a bright dashboard) or live in an extremely warm climate in the sunlight (say, Arizona) this may concern you.

Some people may disagree on certain things. As I mentioned in my breakdown, I think some things fall to personal preference (in my opinion, the screens and user interfaces are a big part of this). Some things we simply don't know yet. Some of what I included might end up being incorrect, for example, I included the rumor on the Bionic battery, but we simply don't know for sure that it will be superior. The screen will help save battery life. Anyway, I hope this gives you some ideas of what each phone will offer.

Personally, 4G is important to me, so that is a big factor. If being able to talk and surf while on a mobile connection (i.e., not WiFi) is a big deal to you, AND you live and will be primarily using your phone in a 4G area then having a 4G phone likely is important - I doubt that either phone will have the ability to talk and surf over 3G (like the Thunderbolt does). I also don't think either phone will allow you to tune to FM radio, but{Edit: Phones may have FM - see discussion page 3} both would have the ability to use an App to stream many radio stations.

EDIT: I wanted to add, that on the "specs" front, many people believe the GS2 will have superior specs. That might be the case. I simply avoided getting into it. Both are likely to have solid specs and you can debate over which is better.

I tried to prevent an objective take on these phones, considering all the crap that gets thrown between "fanboys" of each. As I said, if both are released same date and with LTE I am leaning towards the GS2 at this moment, but that could switch.

Last edited:

epdean

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the detailed responses. And thank you for breaking it down for me without making me feel like an idiot. I look forward to learning more about ROM and rooting and all of that jazz. Perhaps if I stick around these forums one day I will know what I am doing (and what I'm talking about). :)

Based on everything I have read, I am leaning towards the GSII, but only if it is 4G. It has taken me this long to upgrade my current phone, who knows how long it will take me the next time, and you are right, if a year and a half from now I still have the same phone, I think I would feel pretty bummed if it were only 3G.

Sometimes I think I just should have gotten the Thunderbolt, I mean really it has everything I want-simultaneous voice/data (even on 3G, which is nice since like you said, there's a good chance I won't have 4G on my commute to work or even in the town I work in...it's kind of in podunk), 4G, FM radio, a good camera, and tethering capabilities. I just heard such bad reviews about the battery...and also had a friend get one and he was raving about it two months ago but now says to me "be glad you didn't get the TB". I guess the only thing it's not is dual core, and has a crappy battery. Although now, according to the "leaked Verizon Roadmap", it looks like the TB is going to be replaced with the Vigor in October.

Nice to know that there are radio apps available that might solve the FM issue and good to know about the whole simultaneous talk and voice being doable in 3G if WiFi is available. The place that I would most want to use voice/data simultaneously though is in the car-like when my partner and I are talking on the phone and I'm asked to look up gas prices on gas buddy or look up directions etc. I also need to find out if 4G is in my home and work areas. I'm pretty sure it is in my hometown as I believe I read something about that a while back, but I'd be surprised if 4G was available where I work as it is somewhat rural.

Thanks again for all of the valuable information! If the GSII is released in September and is 4G, I'll probably go with the GSII. I think if the GSII isn't released in September that I may just go for the Bionic, or if it is released, but only 3G, I will probably go for the Bionic. Or perhaps if it is only 3G I will wait for the Vigor, the TB replacement coming in October...you know, telling myself, what's one more month, like I have been for the past six months. Alas, that is how I still have my Omnia, but I digress.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the detailed responses. And thank you for breaking it down for me without making me feel like an idiot. I look forward to learning more about ROM and rooting and all of that jazz. Perhaps if I stick around these forums one day I will know what I am doing (and what I'm talking about). :)

Based on everything I have read, I am leaning towards the GSII, but only if it is 4G. It has taken me this long to upgrade my current phone, who knows how long it will take me the next time, and you are right, if a year and a half from now I still have the same phone, I think I would feel pretty bummed if it were only 3G.

Sometimes I think I just should have gotten the Thunderbolt, I mean really it has everything I want-simultaneous voice/data (even on 3G, which is nice since like you said, there's a good chance I won't have 4G on my commute to work or even in the town I work in...it's kind of in podunk), 4G, FM radio, a good camera, and tethering capabilities. I just heard such bad reviews about the battery...and also had a friend get one and he was raving about it two months ago but now says to me "be glad you didn't get the TB". I guess the only thing it's not is dual core, and has a crappy battery. Although now, according to the "leaked Verizon Roadmap", it looks like the TB is going to be replaced with the Vigor in October.

Nice to know that there are radio apps available that might solve the FM issue and good to know about the whole simultaneous talk and voice being doable in 3G if WiFi is available. The place that I would most want to use voice/data simultaneously though is in the car-like when my partner and I are talking on the phone and I'm asked to look up gas prices on gas buddy or look up directions etc. I also need to find out if 4G is in my home and work areas. I'm pretty sure it is in my hometown as I believe I read something about that a while back, but I'd be surprised if 4G was available where I work as it is somewhat rural.

Thanks again for all of the valuable information! If the GSII is released in September and is 4G, I'll probably go with the GSII. I think if the GSII isn't released in September that I may just go for the Bionic, or if it is released, but only 3G, I will probably go for the Bionic. Or perhaps if it is only 3G I will wait for the Vigor, the TB replacement coming in October...you know, telling myself, what's one more month, like I have been for the past six months. Alas, that is how I still have my Omnia, but I digress.
Yeah definitely don't get the Thunderbolt. If you were to opt for an LTE phone right now hands down it would be the Samsung Charge based on all the reviews.

Check your area for LTE coverage here.

epdean

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
nrk-Thanks for the link. as I suspected, the town that I work in does not have 4G. The town that I live in is a 4G LTE extended coverage area and the surrounding towns within five miles are 4G LTE coverage areas.

rosser-thanks for the link. That helped explain some of the terminology!

BlueBiker

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
This is a pretty good thread. I'm stuck between which phone to get as well. Timing of each phone being released (as well as 4G technology) are likely going to weigh heavily. I've been eligible for an upgrade now for approximately a month and I'm waiting until September to be able to get one of these 2 phones. If both are released about the same time and the GS2 has LTE then I would probably opt for the GS2. However,I'm not sure on either of those.

Wonderful post nrk, thanks for collecting and distilling all of that material. A couple minor things to add:

In addition to the FM suggestions above (possible onboard FM tuner, streaming radio app), your local stations may well offer streaming (probably using Flash) via their websites. Bookmarking their streaming page might be a good solution.

Another benefit for simultaneous voice & data is immediate notifications. Nothing like hanging up from a 90min phone call and then suddenly discovering you were sent some urgent emails that you would've wanted to know about right away.

Take this for what it's worth, but an Amazon Wireless sales person told me that Verizon's 4G can be touch'n'go while traveling in a car. Even if you're nominally within a 4G zone, the phone might switch back and forth between 4G and 3G -- so I probably wouldn't count on holding both conversation and data while underway.

Thunderbolt can do simultaneous voice & data over 3G because it has two independent radio chipsets, but I agree w/the others that there are better newer phones, including the Charge.

PS: Congrats on you and your partner's family addition! :D