Quick notice before you jump to 2.3

mack

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I installed the new leaked 2.3, and it's been nothing but issues for me:
  • Lags
  • Crashing
  • Car dock music output does NOT work

Overall though, it's looking good and I hope to go back, but sadly I need to stay with the modified stock rom (debinged, etc). I was using Nameless V4 rom. Debinged/rooted.

I noticed that my signal was a LOT better. In areas where I have no signal or one bar, I maintained at least 2-3 bars. And things like market instantly loaded where as stock Froyo would just say "loading" for a long time. Oh well, good bye gingerbread :(

A bit too buggy for actual use.

Anyone else have a similar experience? I do like the way it folds up the screen when you put it on sleep, that's really neat.. wish I could get it on my Froyo.

Welp, back to Froyo it is :(

Thought I'd let others know before jumping over to 2.3 leaked. I had a +/- experience!

atomD21

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The screen folding must be a mod with the Nameless ROM. Overall, I'd have to say that this is pretty stable for such an early leak, but yeah, I noticed that it hangs sometimes at random intervals... I also noticed that the screen capture (back and power) doesn't work any more. I checked with root explorer, and the apk and odex files are there...

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
The screen folding must be a mod with the Nameless ROM. Overall, I'd have to say that this is pretty stable for such an early leak, but yeah, I noticed that it hangs sometimes at random intervals... I also noticed that the screen capture (back and power) doesn't work any more. I checked with root explorer, and the apk and odex files are there...

Yep, the screen "blink-out" like an old school TV is something just in Nameless. I too had a LOT of trouble with Nameless, so I went to the stock rom and did some hacking and slashing to debloat it. So far it is great (but I only have about 8 hours under my belt...)

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had one issue and I DLed it at about 12pm today. Phone signal is much better, I do notice a bit of a lag but that might be because I came from a Voodoo ROM. Otherwise I am going to test the batter tomorrow after a full nights charge.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that my signal was a LOT better. In areas where I have no signal or one bar, I maintained at least 2-3 bars.

Did you happen to recall the actual dbm of your signal on 2.3 compared to 2.2?

I'm just trying to ascertain if it's an actual improvement in signal or just a difference in the signal display. The 2.2 signal bar icon consists of 4 bars, the 2.3 icon is 5, so that in itself would lead to a higher displayed signal, even if the actual signal is unchanged.

My biggest gripe with this phone, whether it's the actual hardware or Verizon's network, is the signal strength. Probably 80% of the time, anywhere I go, I get 1 to 2 bars max, with the dbm rarely being above -96. I'd be very happy if this was improved somehow in 2.3, but I fear it's just playing games with numbers - increasing the number of bars in the icon so they can show 2 bars for the same signal they previously showed 1, 3 bars for where they previously showed 2, and so on.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Did you happen to recall the actual dbm of your signal on 2.3 compared to 2.2?

I'm just trying to ascertain if it's an actual improvement in signal or just a difference in the signal display. The 2.2 signal bar icon consists of 4 bars, the 2.3 icon is 5, so that in itself would lead to a higher displayed signal, even if the actual signal is unchanged.

My biggest gripe with this phone, whether it's the actual hardware or Verizon's network, is the signal strength. Probably 80% of the time, anywhere I go, I get 1 to 2 bars max, with the dbm rarely being above -96. I'd be very happy if this was improved somehow in 2.3, but I fear it's just playing games with numbers - increasing the number of bars in the icon so they can show 2 bars for the same signal they previously showed 1, 3 bars for where they previously showed 2, and so on.

This. I see more "bars" but no better performance. It seems to "stick" in 3g mode more often, in areas I normally get 1x, but the actual throughput isnt much better.

sfobrien

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
My dbm was always in the area of -96 inside my house. It now shows -86 to --88. Better signal was the first thing I noticed after flashing.

atomD21

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to get to find out if my signal is better soon, as with the announcement of the end of unlimited, I'm reactivating my Fascinate to get on that before it's gone...

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
The real "Quick Notice before jumping to 2.3": (this cannot be stressed enough, apparently)... BACK UP YOUR SDCARD CONTENTS. They can get nuked at any time!

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Well, I figured I'd try it out and from what I'm seeing after a day or so, there's no difference in the actual dbm of the signal strength. As others have noted, it's now showing an extra bar in almost all situations, but when I check the actual signal, I'm still pretty much exactly where I was before, so it would appear it's more of a display change than a real reception change. Oh well, not complaining, it's still nice to see what we may actually get an official Gingerbread (and therefore an official CyanogenMod) on our phones after all.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
You mean the old school CRT screen off animation? It's a GB thing. Baked into the kernel. So you won't find it anywhere but there

You can actually get the CRT animation by modifying a couple framework files - I've gotten the animation on my Epic by just flashing a theme.

Winkz7

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Yep, the screen "blink-out" like an old school TV is something just in Nameless. I too had a LOT of trouble with Nameless, so I went to the stock rom and did some hacking and slashing to debloat it. So far it is great (but I only have about 8 hours under my belt...)

The shutdown animation used in the Honeycomb_BlackAlien_Mashup theme may be the same one that you are referring to. Check JaeKar99's Themes, ROM, etc thread.

I've been running UKB2.0 with that theme since I flashed the ROM. Loving it. I also use the Swype Theme and lib file from kenesis.

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
The CRT shutdown animation is part of UKB 2.0.

I thought you were talking about the crt screen off animation!! I went and upgraded from comm rom 1.3 to 2.0 because of this. Now I'm sad because I really liked Nitro honey comb theme and I lost it since its not supporting comm rom 2.0 yet :'(