Quite Section!

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
After years of following Samsung Galaxy Note 4, Note 5 and Note 7 Sections... I keep dropping in here to find very little activity. At first, I was disappointed and then I realized that the phone is AT&T exclusive so there are a lot fewer owners to create posts, complaints, etc. That's actually a GOOD thing... anyway, after four days with the phone, I can truly say I love it. The battery is totally refreshing and even blows away my Note 7 (Pun intended)! The only minor issue I've had, is getting used to the mechanical buttons after so many years of soft buttons. That will come though, I'm sure.

The one Major issue, and it's driving me crazy and even Samsung is at a loss, is Samsung Pay! I de-activated Samsung Pay on my Note 7 before turning it in, I de-activated it on my Note 5 that I was using up until last week. My fingerprint scanner, on the phone, works fine, for the phone - I have three prints registered and all three cleanly and quickly unlock the phone. When I install Samsung Pay, it asked for my Fingerprint and would not accept it. Samsung had me remove all prints, "Force Stop" and "Clear the Cache" on "Samsung Pay" and "Samsung Pay Framework" in Application Manager. Then re-install Samsung Pay! I did everything they asked and of course, Samsung Pay asked for a PIN, which I gave it, it then asked me to register a fingerprint. I told it to skip and use PIN - it would not let me. It insisted on me registering a fingerprint, so I did. The registration process was just like the phone and went without a hitch. Then, it said verify with your Samsung Pay fingerprint - it just sat there like it had no idea what my finger was. Just like before, did not recognize me and would not let me get to my PIN choice either. Now, I get out, lock the phone, unlock the phone with the fingerprint I just scanned with Samsung Pay???????

I used "Package Disabler Pro" to disable Samsung Pay for now... if they can't help, I don't need their product!

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Seems strange that the app is being that picky. Especially the refusal to accept a PIN override.

Yes - "IF" I were having fingerprint issues with the PHONE itself, I could understand there being an issue, but the reader is obviously fine! It is actually more responsive than the one on my Note 5 but not as good as the Note 7 was. Samsung just kept running me around in circles so I just quit! I didn't really use it a lot on the other phones but it was nice to have, especially when eating out! Just go back to swiping the card or maybe try Android Pay... I haven't tried that yet!

jtmo3

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
It's a samsung pay app issue. They released an update on the 4th and it killed sp for many people. I called and they admitted it. They did call me back yesterday to try their new update and it worked for the most part. It still wouldn't let me use my finger print during setup but the pin worked. Then went into settings and turned on finger print and it did work. Not sure what they screwed up but they're having a hard time fixing it, that I do know. Uninstall the update and then reinstall and see if it works now. It's not a phone problem.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
It's a samsung pay app issue. They released an update on the 4th and it killed sp for many people. I called and they admitted it. They did call me back yesterday to try their new update and it worked for the most part. It still wouldn't let me use my finger print during setup but the pin worked. Then went into settings and turned on finger print and it did work. Not sure what they screwed up but they're having a hard time fixing it, that I do know. Uninstall the update and then reinstall and see if it works now. It's not a phone problem.
Thank you - I'll give that a try - it seemed to me that when I launched the App, the Update came up and wouldn't let me go on without running it but I'll try it again! I'' let you know what happens!

EDIT! You are a LIFESAVER... excellent, that did the trick! I used Application Manager to clear cache on both app modules to get rid of the fingerprint info first, then had to actually go into Playstore and uninstall Samsung Pay, then reinstall it. Once reinstalled, like you said, it must have grabbed the repaired version and it booted up fine, took my PIN first and asked me to scan a fingerprint so I tried it. Worked fine - I'm in, Credit Card logged. up and running on the new phone... THANK YOU very much!

Last edited:

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Quiet can mean several things...
A.) There aren't a lot of us (interested in Forums)
B.) Not a lot goes wrong and needs discussing
C.) What needs discussing, doesn't get answered quick enough because of - A.) so folks go elsewhere
D.) The phone is just plain AWESOME (in a generic kind of way - I had a Note 7 so NOTHING will live up to that AWESOME)!

tkuhe

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Quiet can mean several things...
A.) There aren't a lot of us (interested in Forums)
B.) Not a lot goes wrong and needs discussing
C.) What needs discussing, doesn't get answered quick enough because of - A.) so folks go elsewhere
D.) The phone is just plain AWESOME (in a generic kind of way - I had a Note 7 so NOTHING will live up to that AWESOME)!

I vote for B & D.
So far my phone has been trouble free and I love it. The battery life if easily the best of any modern phone I have owned. Been using Nova launcher and really enjoying customizing the look of my phone. Following Sam Beckman and Zachary Anderson on youtube as I enjoy there android videos and it has helped me get better at finding apps and customizations.
Overall very pleased with my first android phone.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I vote I give up. Lol, the phone does stand up to a lot of abuse. My main issue is battery life. I have a lot of apps and some days, bat life is fine. Others, it inexplicably tanks. I do all the standard things to remedy this but it seems like it just decides on its own when it wants to behave again. For three days last week I had the longest battery life I'd ever achieved, still having juice after 18 hrs. Then suddenly I'm below 50% before lunch. Setting apps to go into powersaving mode is great but then I don't get notifications... all this weirdness is the one reason I would ever go back to my iphone.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I vote I give up. Lol, the phone does stand up to a lot of abuse. My main issue is battery life. I have a lot of apps and some days, bat life is fine. Others, it inexplicably tanks. I do all the standard things to remedy this but it seems like it just decides on its own when it wants to behave again. For three days last week I had the longest battery life I'd ever achieved, still having juice after 18 hrs. Then suddenly I'm below 50% before lunch. Setting apps to go into powersaving mode is great but then I don't get notifications... all this weirdness is the one reason I would ever go back to my iphone.
Wow, have not had any issues even close to that... battery life is consistent, day in and day out - but, I guess, so is my usage! I don't use it like I did my Note 4, 5 and 7 as it doesn't have the Pen/Features/Power the the Notes had! Still, it's in my hand a lot! Have you tried doing a "Wipe Cache Partition" to clear out any junk that's built up since you got it? That sometimes helps!

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Yep. About once a week. I had the same issues with my S4 Active. Terrible battery life compared to my iphones. Don't know why. But I refuse to hobble my device by keeping it in low power mode. Never had to make that sacrifice on my iPhones either. But like I said...some days it's great. And yeah my usage is consistent.

tkuhe

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Yep. About once a week. I had the same issues with my S4 Active. Terrible battery life compared to my iphones. Don't know why. But I refuse to hobble my device by keeping it in low power mode. Never had to make that sacrifice on my iPhones either. But like I said...some days it's great. And yeah my usage is consistent.
Never had any issues with battery. Rarely if ever below 50%.
How many apps are you getting notifications from? When you look at battery usage what is pulling the most juice?

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I have like 100+ apps. Most are in powersave or auto powersave. So if I don't use it after a few days I stop getting notifications. I don't mind power drain when I'm using the phone heavily. But this phone and my last active use much more when idle than my iPhones do. I know cutting some apps would help. But dang it I used the same apps on my iPhone and never had these issues with a much smaller battery. It's a small problem though. If I know I'm really going to need to stretch my battery, power saving mode does help.

BTW it's usually Android system that sucks the most juice

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
That's horrible. I for one hate auto power save and any type of battery saving apps. I just delete the junk I don't use and then use it without worry. My S7 Active matches my iPhone 7+ when it comes to battery life and really no other phone can do that with the possible exception of the Moto Z Play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raykv23