Random shutdown

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
So today I decided to shut off battery saver and the phone stayed on well past 15%.
Makes it sound like there's a problem with Battery Saver. All the folks having this shutdown issue should try turning it off and see if the behavior changes.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Makes it sound like there's a problem with Battery Saver. All the folks having this shutdown issue should try turning it off and see if the behavior changes.

I did to, however when I got to 15% the stupid notification popped up suggesting I turn it on, and it turned the phone off. So after a reboot, without plugging into a charger, I had 10% battery left. I think there is something wrong with battery saver.

asnigro

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Same for my wife and I for some of the comments in this thread:

*Battery getting to ~30% and shutting down
*Cold temps with battery above 50% and shutting down
*More frequent reboots for unknown reasons.

Ron Copsetta

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same issues, it's not the app your using, it seems like it happens with anny battery demanding app. Mine shuts down about 30 percent and won't reboot till I plug it into a charger, it happens with the camera app, snapchat, maps. I'm on 7.1.1 with latest security update and it never happened prior to that.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There are a couple of possible issues here:

1. When the battery is cold (freezing or lower), it's more likely to throw a dendrite. That will shut the phone off. (See Lithium Battery Dendrite links.)

2. You should never allow the battery to drop lower than 40% - start looking for an outlet when it gets down to about 50%. (Or carry a power pack or, if the battery is removable, a spare, fully-charged battery.) Sorry, people - lithium batteries are not deep-discharge batteries. If you want to drain the battery to almost 0 every time, without destroying it, you'll have to carry a lead-acid battery with you. But one to power the average phone will weigh about 5 pounds.

3. Because of #2, and the fact that the phone's shutoff point can be set, set it to about 38%. If you absolutely must drop it down below 40%, don't let it stay there too long.

asylvia

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
i just received my RMA. will keep you posted on how it works. i was surprised that it shipped with zero battery. isn't that what kills them?

bumpandrun

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine shut down 3 or 4 times over the last few months but I didn't realize it until I picked it up to use it. The power every time was over 50% when I turned it back on. Not sure what's causing mine since I'm not seeing it shut down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lather7753