Rant: Ugh, why can't we stream HBO go from our phone to TV?

TheJediGoddess

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I just don't get it. All I want to do is watch HBO GO on my big screen, Netflix works just fine but not HBOGo... I get an error. Did some searching around and apparently its blocked. SERIOUSLY HBO??????? I bought a Roku player to watch it and Comcast blocks it. I'm ticked. Sorry for the whining and ranting but I'm ticked!

uh60james

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Just a thought. HBO doesn't want people who don't pay for HBO to watch HBO on their TV. If you have a legitimate HBO Go subscription you would already have HBO on your TV. If you "borrow" somebodys login info, well no HBO on your TV.

Not trying to be an a** or even say you are doing this, just trying to maybe help make sense of why they disable it.

TheJediGoddess

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Just a thought. HBO doesn't want people who don't pay for HBO to watch HBO on their TV. If you have a legitimate HBO Go subscription you would already have HBO on your TV. If you "borrow" somebodys login info, well no HBO on your TV.

Not trying to be an a** or even say you are doing this, just trying to maybe help make sense of why they disable it.

I totally understand what you are saying. I do have a legitimate HBO subscription but the problem is all of the stuff on HBO Go is not on HBO w/ the cable company. For instance, I could watch every episode of The Sopranos on HBO Go but not HBO being shown on the cable company--it may have 5 episodes or so on demand. I just wanted to watch Go from my phone on my big tv via HDMI cable but its blocked.

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Becides having to have HBO already on your tv, why would you want to stream HBO go to it? Unless you are streaming a HD video you recorded, the image quality stays that of your phone. Inceasing that to a larger screen makes the picture look horrible.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Actually I have used MHL on friends' TVs to stream NFL Sunday ticket. Comes in handy if you aren't at home. Since one is paying for HBO then I don't know why it would matter to them whether or not you were watching it on a bigger screen using HDMI or not...jmho...

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I've actually watched HBO Go on my big screen using the MHL on my Evo 3D. Is it being blocked a new development or something?

I had pretty much the same situation as the original poster. I have Directv, something was on the HBO Go app that wasn't on Directv On Demand, so I connected my phone to my tv and watched it that way. This was several months ago though so it could be blocked now. I haven't come across anything on that app that wasn't available on Directv On Demand since then. I actually read shortly after that Directv was supposedly going to have all the same content available On Demand that was available in the HBO Go app in the near future, so that may have something to do with it.

For what it's worth, the picture quality was pretty crappy. It was still watchable though.

That would be pretty disappointing if they were blocking this. You pay for HBO, who cares where or how you watch it? I get that maybe someone will let their friend use their Directv login or whatever. But don't they limit the number of devices that can view the content anyway?

Anastasia Holtman

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Well,I am a legit HBO subscriber and I would also love to do the same BECAUSE my provider doesn't have an on demand option like xfinity and Comcast. I have Directv, love all the channels in HDTV there are so many, but would love to watch up on older episodes of True Blood! I hate waiting week to week to watch random,non sequential episodes! Whyd ya do that HBO!? Maybe they should create a series station for reruns of the most popular series that are coming up new soon. They'd get new viewers for series that have played a few seasons and don't watch cause people like me are lost. Hmm.... Maybe I'll tell HBO... Lol. Is THAT legitimate enough a reason to wanna stream from the application?
I'm not trying to be as big a smart a** as I may seem. :) but it's annoying. Does Netflix run True Blood series episodes?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joe1335