RCA tablet touch screen problems

A

AC Question

I just got the RCA 7" Tablet 16GB Quad Core and it was working fine. I actually used it for about 3hours. Dowloading new apps ect, then all the sudden letters like t,u,b,g ect wouldn't work (i'd restart and they'd work, but it started being they'd work for literally a minute, then need a restart), but if I flipped the tablet so the screen was in another direction they would. I realized a strip in the middle from left to right, horizontally now doesn't work. Anytime I touch anything in the strip forget about it. I restarted it and I also did a hard reset. I want to know if after doing all that and nothing has changed is it a hardware problem? thank you!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Most likely a hardware problem. Off-brand devices like yours are unfortunately more likely to have hardware or firmware defects.

Try booting into Safe Mode, which temporarily disables all 3rd party apps. On most Android devices, while powered on, press and hold Power until the Power Off menu appears. Press and hold the Power Off selection until the Safe Mode prompt appears. Tap OK.

If the problem disappears in Safe Mode, then something you installed is causing the problem. You may have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem disappears. If the problem persists in Safe Mode, then it's more likely to be a hardware or firmware problem.

bajula

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Most likely a hardware problem. Off-brand devices like yours are unfortunately more likely to have hardware or firmware defects.

Try booting into Safe Mode, which temporarily disables all 3rd party apps. On most Android devices, while powered on, press and hold Power until the Power Off menu appears. Press and hold the Power Off selection until the Safe Mode prompt appears. Tap OK.

If the problem disappears in Safe Mode, then something you installed is causing the problem. You may have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem disappears. If the problem persists in Safe Mode, then it's more likely to be a hardware or firmware problem.

Can't help but find it amusing that RCA is considered an "off-brand" :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Remember that RCA is no longer the original company -- the brand name is licensed to various lesser electronics companies. The same goes for other well-known brand names like Polaroid. So although the brand is historically well-known, they're still pretty much low-budget/off-brand when it comes to current tech.

Spoofd83

Oct 29, 2018
Visit site
I have the exact same problem. I haven't found a fix except sending it in for repair. I did the safe mode thing and still a problem. If more than a few people are having a problem with this than RCA needs to fix it for free. It's obvious its a bad product.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If the device is still under warranty, then they should definitely fix it -- contact them and start the warranty process: https://www.rcaaudiovideo.com/contactus/

However, if the device is already out of warranty, then they have no obligation to repair it for free, unless it poses a safety risk (in which case a formal recall would've been mandated). This is how any company works, although some companies are better than others about making certain exceptions to the rule.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
And if you buy it from a reliable source (Walmart, Amazon, etc., they'll usually exchange it for a new one if it's only been a few days. If the new one doesn't work, they'll let you put the price toward a different tablet. (Or with Walmart, they'll just give you store credit or a refund to your plastic, depending on how you paid for it.)