Really two day battery life?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
3430 mAh battery, 5.5" 4K IPS screen, SD810 ... this is NOT going to last "power users" for 2 days. So they're saying something to the effect of users getting between 5 and 10 hours of usage in a 40 to 48 hour period. The "power users", depending on all the typical conditions, should probably expect 5 to 9 hours of SOT in a typical high usage day.

Here is their statement on battery: ****Battery life has been measured against Sony Mobile Communications AB’s smartphone usage profile, defined in September 2014 to represent the typical smartphone user’s active condition, including but not limited to a range of usage scenarios (calling, texting, web browsing, social networking, game playing, music listening, picture taking, picture browsing, online video watching, video recording and playback).

Now, the September 2014 AVERAGE user... here's what they say about that: Typical Smartphone User usage profile. This involved using the device for approximately 5 hours in a 24-hour period, for a range of typical usage scenarios (calling, texting, web, social networking, games, camera, music and video).

For context, the Moto X 2013 with a 4.7" 720p AMOLED screen and SD600[SUB]/2[/SUB] lasted the average user between 20 and 24 hours and average SOT was between 3 and 4 hours.

OF COURSE I am speculating, I don't have this device and haven't seen any serious reviews - this is based on analyzing their statements, what we know of the specs and what we know about how batteries actually function under load. The biggest two drivers of batteries suffering are typically poor idle (Apple has this fairly well under control) and the screen's power draw. If Sony has these two things under control (I assume they're most of the way there if they're making these claims) - then we can expect VERY solid battery life. But let's also be reasonable about what to expect. I'd hate to see people expect to get 10+ hours of SOT over a 24-48 hour period and then rage against the device because it's not there yet.

cooperb21

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
3430 mAh battery, 5.5" 4K IPS screen, SD810 ... this is NOT going to last "power users" for 2 days. So they're saying something to the effect of users getting between 5 and 10 hours of usage in a 40 to 48 hour period. The "power users", depending on all the typical conditions, should probably expect 5 to 9 hours of SOT in a typical high usage day.

Here is their statement on battery: ****Battery life has been measured against Sony Mobile Communications AB’s smartphone usage profile, defined in September 2014 to represent the typical smartphone user’s active condition, including but not limited to a range of usage scenarios (calling, texting, web browsing, social networking, game playing, music listening, picture taking, picture browsing, online video watching, video recording and playback).

Now, the September 2014 AVERAGE user... here's what they say about that: Typical Smartphone User usage profile. This involved using the device for approximately 5 hours in a 24-hour period, for a range of typical usage scenarios (calling, texting, web, social networking, games, camera, music and video).

For context, the Moto X 2013 with a 4.7" 720p AMOLED screen and SD600[SUB]/2[/SUB] lasted the average user between 20 and 24 hours and average SOT was between 3 and 4 hours.

OF COURSE I am speculating, I don't have this device and haven't seen any serious reviews - this is based on analyzing their statements, what we know of the specs and what we know about how batteries actually function under load. The biggest two drivers of batteries suffering are typically poor idle (Apple has this fairly well under control) and the screen's power draw. If Sony has these two things under control (I assume they're most of the way there if they're making these claims) - then we can expect VERY solid battery life. But let's also be reasonable about what to expect. I'd hate to see people expect to get 10+ hours of SOT over a 24-48 hour period and then rage against the device because it's not there yet.

I just have a really hard time believing a 4K screen will have good on screen time. The jump from 720p to 1080p cut battery life in half and jump to 1440p made it even worse getting 3-4 hours SOT now with most modern larger phones. With 4K i expect 2 hours SOT.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
There is some info out there stating that it will not be running 4K resolution all the time. Only during certain functions, such as 4K video.

Posted via the Android Central App

rnich120

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
I have just gotten my unit and once all my music has downloaded tonight, I will be testing the battery out so I will report back in a few days

rnich120

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Sorry for the delay. SO it took an age to get my music downloaded from Google Play to my memory card. All because the phone doesn't use as much data as fast when the screen is off as when its on....soo it took nearly 48 hours! i

So I got my unit in black and while yes it is a real fingerprint magnet, I don't really care. I don't have a case for it at the moment but I think that I will get one because one drop and both glass panels are gonna smash.

I'm coming from the G4 and so the first noticeable thing is the weight difference....

The screen is nice and bright for me. I don't have it cranked right up - there is really no need. I don't know yet how the screen is gonna affect battery life. I will know over the next week or so.

The software is clean and I like that. I was a HTC user before getting the G4 and i really liked sense but having now used different systems, I can honestly say, I don't need all the bells. I had gotten used to some of the smart settings that the G4 had and I thought I would have to get tasker to have the same things but Sony has smart settings too so Waze will start up as soon as the car bluetooth starts up. (Love it)

I haven't had time to use the camera at the moment but i will (part of my job) in the next couple of days so I will let you know more in depth when I do. But coming from the great camera of G4, the shots on this seem alright.

Battery will be tested over the will be tested too as of tomorrow. I wouldn't say that I'm a power user but I am a heavy user with my email syncing every 5 mins along with phone calls, podcasts, music and the like. I have all my photos going up to dropbox. My G4 was very bad with battery life and I had the brightness down as low as possible so I hope that the Z5 gets through a day.

After a week, I will do a new post with my thoughts

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Sorry for the delay. SO it took an age to get my music downloaded from Google Play to my memory card. All because the phone doesn't use as much data as fast when the screen is off as when its on....soo it took nearly 48 hours! i

So I got my unit in black and while yes it is a real fingerprint magnet, I don't really care. I don't have a case for it at the moment but I think that I will get one because one drop and both glass panels are gonna smash.

I'm coming from the G4 and so the first noticeable thing is the weight difference....

The screen is nice and bright for me. I don't have it cranked right up - there is really no need. I don't know yet how the screen is gonna affect battery life. I will know over the next week or so.

The software is clean and I like that. I was a HTC user before getting the G4 and i really liked sense but having now used different systems, I can honestly say, I don't need all the bells. I had gotten used to some of the smart settings that the G4 had and I thought I would have to get tasker to have the same things but Sony has smart settings too so Waze will start up as soon as the car bluetooth starts up. (Love it)

I haven't had time to use the camera at the moment but i will (part of my job) in the next couple of days so I will let you know more in depth when I do. But coming from the great camera of G4, the shots on this seem alright.

Battery will be tested over the will be tested too as of tomorrow. I wouldn't say that I'm a power user but I am a heavy user with my email syncing every 5 mins along with phone calls, podcasts, music and the like. I have all my photos going up to dropbox. My G4 was very bad with battery life and I had the brightness down as low as possible so I hope that the Z5 gets through a day.

After a week, I will do a new post with my thoughts

Any updates on the camera yet?

rnich120

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Soo completely forgot to update regarding my time with the phone so far.

Right so its been a month now and I have had more than enough time to get used to the phone.

First things first. So I had an issue with the phone and my wifi router in that after the epic amount of time it took to download all the music, it then suddenly stopped connecting to the router and when it did connect, it would then kill my wifi connection so I had to stop using it and only use mobile data. There was an update 4 days ago and it seems to have fixed this issue (whatever it was).

The battery life on this phone is great. Yes the screen is going to be the biggest drain on the battery because of the size but I am getting through a day with no issues and during the weekend I can get to nearly 2 days. Depending on your usage, 36 hours should not be out of reach for any user. Coming from an G4 in which I was worried to use the phone because the battery would drain so quickly with any kind of usage, the Z5 is a real pleasure to use.

I find the Sony OS really clean and simple to use which is nice. I liked a few things from the G4 such as the smart settings and its nice to see that Sony have the same sort of thing. I have found that the camera app does take a second or two to open which can be a little bit annoying if you want a quick picture but other than that I have had no slow down at all.

The camera is the biggest thing on any phone that I have because I take pictures for work. Having the G4 coming from a M8 was a massive jump and while i knew suspected it wouldn't be as good as the G4, the Z5 is good and I have no real complaints. Daytime shots are good with no worries at all. Night time shots suffer from noise which will annoy some but its not a massive deal breaker for me.

2015-11-20 13.27.31.jpg2015-11-20 15.15.50.jpg2015-12-10 15.26.01.jpg2015-12-10 16.28.55.jpg2015-12-10 16.33.31.jpg

So example shots, I'm happy with it.

Other things - Speaker isn't the loudest.
Bluetooth works well with my car and my portable speaker.
I have it in a case so its not a fingerprint magnet.
The phone hasn't overheated (did get warm on initial set up and downloading of apps etc but that's expected)

Attachments

• 2015-11-20 13.27.31.jpg
    2015-11-20 13.27.31.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
When are we going to hear about your chrome Z5P @nokia4life?

Well I got and liked it some what, the design great chrome great the camera was good not great. My major issue was the reception and I posted this in other threads on android central and XDA it seemed to have full bars in my house however when I would go outside I would have 1 bar and when traveling it would take for ever to connect a call or use data. I know it isn't the att sim because it's the same one in my iPhone 6plus, nexus 6p and note 5 all which have superb reception cellular and wifi but this phone could not hold it. Second Bluetooth when connected to my CLA-45 would be spotty music would sound like a scratched cd skipping constantly again the other three phones connected rarely had this issue. The icing on the cake as of two days ago I got a pop up saying 95% memory used mind you I have not added pretty much anything so why did this happen well I gave up. I sold it on swappa yesterday for 590.00 took a loss of 80.00 bucks but oh well I couldn't live with that when these other phones especially the note 5 with 32gb memory same as the z5 never came close to 95% memory used same apps. Couldn't compare the iPhone and nexus because both if this have 128gb. So sad to see it go will wait for Sony next great thing.

barry1964

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I'm using a Aukey Qualcom fast charge 2.0 charger with a Z5 Premium, and I'm getting just about a day if I'm lucky. I'm running tasker, but I can't see how that L would drain the battery, particularly given that there's only 3 realy basic active profiles. I charges this thing to 93% less than am hour ago, and it's already down to 82%! Any ideas or suggestions. I've got screens which are mainly widgets, and on the time it's taken to write this it's bow gone down.to 79%

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire