Received 7 defective Nexus 7's and Google is now refusing RMA's

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
" Dave, I think it's the other way about, your reality doesn't match mine, which I'm not sure how voicing that is productive to this thread."

As if this thread is productive?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I purchased 2 Nexus 7's, one for myself and one for my father. My father's tablet has screen separation and he is afraid to exchange it. My tablet had a chipped bezel. I exchanged the tablet for a string of 6 defective Nexus 7's all with light bleed and dead pixels. Today, I called to process my RMA and the supervisor Cameron, told me that they will not process any more RMAs on my account and to please mail back my units.

I just want to inform anybody who is in the RMA process that Google will pull this move on you. I have been nothing but courteous to the reps, I have been patient with the RMA process and Google has written me off as a customer. I am sure some people are satisfied with their Nexus 7's, however that is not the point of my post. It is to inform potential customers of the systemic quality issues plaguing this product and Google's unwillingness to rectify the issue.

BBB complaint to follow.
Good luck with that. Seven replacements sounds extremely patient on their part. I probably would have asked you return the device for a full refund after the second or third RMA at most.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget in that mix of debate is the question if someone should expect (or live with) a mediocre device just because it was only 200 bucks.

Why did you put "defects" in quotes? Are you saying that screen lifting and the like are not defects? Or that's "normal" for a device of this price?

I think he used quotes to indicate that with this person getting so many, probably they see what they want and call them "defects". Not one person that has gone through (a ridiculous) number of these "defects" has ever posted pictures or other proof. And when asked to do so, most simply reply "I don't need to prove anything to you, you $%&$^%&&, the were defective!" Even posting a visual of the RMA email to show that this is even valid is a no-no for them.

If ya got no pics, ya got nothing. :D:cool:

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I think he used quotes to indicate that with this person getting so many, probably they see what they want and call them "defects". Not one person that has gone through (a ridiculous) number of these "defects" has ever posted pictures or other proof. And when asked to do so, most simply reply "I don't need to prove anything to you, you $%&$^%&&, the were defective!" Even posting a visual of the RMA email to show that this is even valid is a no-no for them.

If ya got no pics, ya got nothing. :D:cool:

What they got, was attention. sigh. Think of all the bloggers that run with stories of defects, based on threads such as these?

Lunarbob19

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I've been trying to read into this screen lifting problem since I noticed my N7 making a noise and feeling like it shifts slightly. This is one thread I read throughout. I'm trying to get an understanding of just what it is and the seriousness level.

If I hold my N7 in landscape mode two-handed, holding it like a small portable game system similar to nintendo DS, when I push up any on the back of the tablet I hear a small creaking noise.
Or if I hold it one handed resting on my palm and press down on the touch screen again I hear the creak.

Does this sound like screen lifting and is there a danger of this becoming a bigger problem?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying to read into this screen lifting problem since I noticed my N7 making a noise and feeling like it shifts slightly. This is one thread I read throughout. I'm trying to get an understanding of just what it is and the seriousness level.

If I hold my N7 in landscape mode two-handed, holding it like a small portable game system similar to nintendo DS, when I push up any on the back of the tablet I hear a small creaking noise.
Or if I hold it one handed resting on my palm and press down on the touch screen again I hear the creak.

Does this sound like screen lifting and is there a danger of this becoming a bigger problem?

The screen lifting is just that - the screen does not seat fully down into the bezel that surrounds it. In more extreme cases like mine (a first-batch C60 model) you can push down gently on the middle of the left side of the screen and feel the glue re-adhere, then feel it release with a click or pop sound. Even though the lift is extremely subtle, in good light you can look at the device side-on and see glass protruding above the bezel, where in reality the top edge of the glass should be even with the top edge of the bezel.

As to the chances of it getting worse - I can only say that my device is about the same as the day I bought it back in August. There's no sign of it getting any worse, and with any luck my 10Terra bamboo case that I ordered during their Kickstarter campaign will FINALLY arrive in a few days. Once it's in a case that keeps me from obsessively pushing down on the loose bit, I shall worry about it no further.

I'd look carefully at your device, and particularly on the left side as you hold it in portrait mode. Gently pinch the device at the midpoint of the left side, and squeeze it, applying very little force. If you can feel motion there and not in the same spot on the right side, you probably have the "screen lift" problem. Whether you can live with it (as I do) or prefer a return/exchange (as others have done) is entirely up to you.

Creaking while putting pressure on different portions of the unit may simply be the flex that is built into the design to keep it from snapping like a dry twig every time you pick it up,or it may be a loose back panel (especially if you've taken it off a few times, deforming the retaining clips in the process). If you can find a display model somewhere at a local store, try it out to see if it exhibits the same behavior. If it does not, you'll have to decide whether the defect is bad enough to you to warrant an exchange.

Putting the device in a decent-quality case will cure many ills, and prevent damage from many incidents. Nexus 7 cases can be had starting in the $10 range.

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Haven't read through the whole thread, but still my 2 cents about it:

I don't have a Nexus 7 yet, and when I initially wanted to buy it back in September, those reports of quality issues were holding me back. Now with the 3G out I will get it. Not just that I'm pretty sure the 3G model is a new batch with those issues resolved, but also cause it increases its mobility, turning it from a toy to a tool.

Light bleeding wouldn't bother me. Not only do I prefer the brightness to be low - saves battery life and my eyes from pain when using in the dark. Even if I used it on bright, e.g. for watching a movie or playing a game, I would focus so much on whats going on than what it looks like in detail.

Screen lift is an issue, but if I'd return it twice and the third one still had it, there's only two options: give up on it and demand a refund, or look for a good chase that also covers the screen. It avoids the screen from eventually falling of all the way (and I doubt that ever hapoened) and keeps me from feeling the issue.

jamojamo

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I have not trouble? Good English kid.

I'm actually hitting Walmart tomorrow. Maybe you'll be the manger I drive nuts.

When calling out someone for their post it's good to spell check your own. Thank you for the laugh and good luck with your search.

Sent from my Nexus 7

paulinVA

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Well, when one of the selling features is that Asus/Google went from nothing to production in four months, you should expect that the first couple hundred thousand units are going to have quality issues. I mean, that's just common sense.

They raced the Nexus 7 into production.

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Well, when one of the selling features is that Asus/Google went from nothing to production in four months, you should expect that the first couple hundred thousand units are going to have quality issues. I mean, that's just common sense.

Common sense for who? I've bought plenty of devices that performed flawlessly and didn't start degrading in build quality the moment I plugged them into a charger and they started getting warm.

I'd excuse a lil kid sitting on his bedroom floor trying to build something out of Legos before I excuse companies with plenty of money like Google and Asus.

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

I disagree. If every company would think like that, than nobody would buy products when they come out new. It's acceptable that maybe 10% of all units have flaws, but it should be every company's goal to release products of good quality, especially when selling at a price that many people have to work many hours to afford it, plus rent and food and other expenses. Money doesn't grow on trees, only for teenagers It does.

And this "they rushed into selling" arguement is wrong. Good thing takes a while, just like wine needs time to be good. If there wasn't enough time then they should have given themselves a bigger timeframe or postponed the release. Just anything that costs them, NOT the customer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174