Question Remove duplicate app icons

&roid

Nov 25, 2023
Visit site
I’m new to Android and I have an issue where two icons appears on the screen for some apps. I read that a possible solution is to long press on the app, go into info and clear the cache, but this has not helped. What can I do to fix this?

Running Android 8.1.0

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Given how you've worded your post I'll assume you mean you have two icons on your home screen, but this would work if you had two icons in a folder too. Long press one of the icons, either or is shouldn't matter, and drag it to the bottom of the screen where an icon will usually appear that says remove. It won't appear until you start dragging the icon around. You can also rearrange the icons on your screen in this same way. I Mason this because coming from that fruity brand we know you didn't have a lot of this type of customization. Alternatively you can long press the icon and release it, as you described, there will be a set of symbols that appear by rather than choosing little i circled choose remove, depending on brand it may appear as a trashcan. This doesn't delete or uninstall the app it simply removes the icon from your screen.

While I don't think you mean you have two apps in your app drawer, if you find that you do, you'll want to check your app list. You can find this by going to Settings>Applications (might also be listed as Apps depending on brand)>scroll down to the app, they'll be in alphanumeric order, and verify you don't have two apps installed. There are a couple of reasons you might notice two apps with similar names and/or icons in your app drawer. They could be different versions of the same app. Possibly even a lite and full version, they could be competing apps, Samsung and Google are a good example of this where each have apps with three same simple name. Like Messages or Contacts. Anyway if you have two in this list there are two installed and they likely aren't connected in any way. You'll have to decide which you want to keep based on some criteria that your decide and then uninstall the one you don't want. In cases like this you may find one of them is not able to be uninstalled. Come back to us if you run into this and we'll offer advice on how to resolve it based on what your find.

Anyway, let us know what you find and we'll offer advice if you need it.

Welcome to the forum and best wishes.

&roid

Nov 25, 2023
Visit site
Thank you all for your help! This has resolved the issue. It was on the Home Screen. Once I long press on the icon and move an up, the remove option appears at the top on this model (Alcatel 5052A) and I move the icon towards it and then can’t remove it.

Thank you again!

&roid

Nov 25, 2023
Visit site
While I’m here, is there a good resource online I can use for the basics of using my phone of - Android 8.1.0 Alcatel 5052A? I did a bit of a search but am confused about what is applicable to my phone and what isn’t.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
While I’m here, is there a good resource online I can use for the basics of using my phone of - Android 8.1.0 Alcatel 5052A? I did a bit of a search but am confused about what is applicable to my phone and what isn’t.
You can probably use my old old guide: [GUIDE] Getting Started with Android (UPDATED 2016 for Nougat) - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com. Keep in mind that different manufacturers often tweak the interface and features, so it's difficult to create a one-size-fits-all guide.

I would also advise against sticking with such an outdated device, since there may be security risks. The current Android version is 14, so your device is a full 6 versions behind (and won't ever get updated further).

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos