Remove Google Search Bar from home screen?

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying Pixel Launcher instead of Nova on my new 6 Pro. Having the Google Search Bar on my home screen has always bothered me. With Nova you can turn it off. Any way to turn it off in Pixel Launcher? If I try to drag or long press it, there are Preferences, but I don't see a way to delete it.

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There has been a way on every other pixel. That would be very disappointing if I can't remove that bar. It's big and I have never used it.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I have used Nova since the OG Pixel 1, and I have never regretted it. I just thought I would try the Pixel Launcher, but am disappointed by the limits, such as not being able to remove the Google search bar, and so many different ways to set up the app drawer and infinite scrolling of the home screens. I can't believe there isn't a way to remove the search bar in the stock launcher.

beantownsouth

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
You can't remove it on the Pixel 5 either. I'm exploring launchers myself. I do like the stock Pixel launcher, just not enough customization with it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't recall ever being able to remove the Google Search widget from the Pixel Launcher on any prior Pixel phone. You can do it on some launchers from other manufacturers (like Samsung's One UI), but not on a Pixel.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Nova does seem a little buggy on my Pro. It doesn't stop the launcher from working just pops up a screen once in a while saying not responding. I click anywhere else on the screen and it goes away.

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had the Pixel 2 XL and Pixel 4 XL and I swear I removed it, but I'll take your word for it. I had to send my 4 XL back for repair and have not taken it out of the box again. I'm sending it back for trade in so it's not worth me opening it up just to double check. I've always heard good things about Nova, but never tried it. I guess that's an option if the search bar annoys me enough.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Nova does seem a little buggy on my Pro. It doesn't stop the launcher from working just pops up a screen once in a while saying not responding. I click anywhere else on the screen and it goes away.

I'm seeing fairly common complaints about Nova upon first setting up a Pixel 6 and restoring Nova from a backup. I cleared the app cache/data for Nova, then restored again from my most recent backup, and it worked fine after that.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I've had the Pixel 2 XL and Pixel 4 XL and I swear I removed it, but I'll take your word for it. I had to send my 4 XL back for repair and have not taken it out of the box again. I'm sending it back for trade in so it's not worth me opening it up just to double check. I've always heard good things about Nova, but never tried it. I guess that's an option if the search bar annoys me enough.

I sure cannot remove it on my 4XL, have tried on and off for the past 18 months.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Could never remove Google search bar from my 2XL, which is why I went with Nova Prime. Now using Nova Prime on my 5a.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm seeing fairly common complaints about Nova upon first setting up a Pixel 6 and restoring Nova from a backup. I cleared the app cache/data for Nova, then restored again from my most recent backup, and it worked fine after that.

I tried the Pixel launcher on my Pro, but just couldn't deal with it. No flexibility. I installed Nova and then installed a bunch of apps and it kept crashing. Then restarted the device and working perfectly ever since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
inventorBlack